Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I still believe 200 M would have been possible, buoyed by strong walk-up business. But of course we'll never know. Thanks to one lunatic.

Agreed. I was absolutely wrong about my 100 OD / 215 OW prediction and I admit my fail (I really thought it could have reached it), but I estimate that the massacre has taken away at least 20 million.With the midnight number, I think it was headed to 190 OW (30 Midnights, 62 Friday, 53 Saturday, 45 Sunday). And I think we will probably see a very good 2nd weekend drop (about 50-55%). A 70+ million second weekend would boost this to at least 310 in 10 days (the same than TDK). IMHO, I think it's too early to say this won't challenge 500, or even TDK number.I haven't watched the movie (I will do it during next week, after the inital madness), but I have read and heared that it's a quite well movie that could need a second (or 3rd, or 4th, ...) viewing to really understand or appreciate everything. Movie legs could be very strong...And finally I want to point that it's really hard to write or think about simple and absurd numbers when it implies so much suffering. I think I still have not said this in this forums, but I want to offer my sincere condolences to the families and friends of victims.

I think people trying to use the tragedy in either case are disgusting frankly. The haters shouldn't be happy and rubbing it in everyone's faces if it debuts to less than $170m or something cause they know that the tragedy clearly affected that, but at the same time the fanboys claiming that the tragedy is the sole reason it didn't hit 200 or break TA's OW are equally as ridiculous sounding and trying to use it to their advantage in the exact same way. Both sides need to just quit it.

• Like 3

Wait, wouldn't TA performing far better than tracking suggest TDKR could have done the same? I don't think TDKR was going to break the OW record, but it's an odd line of reasoning...

We are talking about 180-190M. OW record was impossible, IMO.

I'm sure it was higher. The one before it opened is the one I'm talking about, the final tracking.

RS was 160MMTC was 140MBoth are the last numbers released.But I remember several sites talking about the OW record on the Thursday before his release.

To them, it doesn't matter. All the evidence points to the fact that the shooting is having a huge effect. Look at Brave drop!! Just look! And Ice Age 4!!! I am not even talking about TASM!!! And even that one! 65%+ drop? WTF?!?!?!I can only imagine that type of shit BKB would saying right now. Glad he is banned. Should have been forever, tho.

Ugh. I'm so happy I don't have to see BKBs bold font happy self. He would probably be gloating when there's nothing to gloat about.

Numbers tell another story. Every movie is decreasing more than expected with the new updates. I wasn't even talking about TASM!

Not true. When a juggernaut opens, everything drops hard.:http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2008&wknd=29&p=.htmhttp://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2012&wknd=18&p=.htm

RS was 160M

MTC was 140M

But I remember several sites talking about the OW record on the Thursday before his release.

This. It's because of the huge sellouts from Fandango and movietickets.com. boxofficebuzz had it at 181 M if i'm not mistaken.

Not true. When a juggernaut opens, everything drops hard.:http://boxofficemojo...&wknd=29&p=.htmhttp://boxofficemojo...&wknd=18&p=.htm

But the first estimates released had Brave dropping just 24%. I know Nikki sucks at holdhovers, but it is now at 42%... and may drop more than that... Edited by CJohn

Wait, wouldn't TA performing far better than tracking suggest TDKR could have done the same? I don't think TDKR was going to break the OW record, but it's an odd line of reasoning...

It means tracking can be way off either way, as we've seen many times before. But apparently this movie is an exception the rules.

You can see effect of shooting just by looking at theater status. There are theaters with every IMAX show sold out and only one or two regular evening show sellouts, if that, You never see that with big blockbuster openings where one IMAX sellout is equivalent to three-four regular sellouts. My guess is that IMAX shows are attracting fans and most of them were probably sold out days in advance.

TA was seen to get a bit over the opening record around 170 millionNo one saw anything close to 200 million thoughAlso TDKR is well up in Canada on Saturday during the night...I think it will stay flat

Nonetheless even with the Midnights the TDKR did not have a chance at the opening weekend record.The question would have been 185-190 million...Hi I went outside because of nothing interest to track..What was RTH projection for Saturday?Also in Canada, Saturday is well up from yeseterday sooo..whatever that means...

I believe RTH said $43M Sat. Is that right?

But the first estimates released had Brave dropping just 24%. I know Nikki sucks at holdhovers, but it is now at 42%... and may drop more than that...

She probably made a typo.

"I believe RTH said $43M Sat. Is that right?"you tell meThats so wierd.In Canada Friday was so slow and now Saturday is well ahead of yesterday...?????????????????????????????THis is such a weird weekend.

I think people trying to use the tragedy in either case are disgusting frankly. The haters shouldn't be happy and rubbing it in everyone's faces if it debuts to less than $170m or something cause they know that the tragedy clearly affected that, but at the same time the fanboys claiming that the tragedy is the sole reason it didn't hit 200 or break TA's OW are equally as ridiculous sounding and trying to use it to their advantage in the exact same way. Both sides need to just quit it.

Thank you. Both sides have been infuriating (and I can't claim exemption for myself); the holier-than-thou attitude of the latter group is just as nauseating as the crap from the first camp. Edited by nAlkaline

When a movie is getting amazing WOM from social media websites and movie forums, it affects your decisions, in one way or another. It excites you more. But if the news is about a depressing, horrifying tragedy, it kills the excitement. It destroys the enthusiasm. This is what has happened to many this weekend.

• Like 1

She made a typo with every movie in the top 10 then... TASM was at 14M. Now it is barely over 11M.

I haven't checked Nikki's figures yet, but that's crap for Spidey. It fell like 70%.