CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Don't forget that Frozen also had a much higher gross in the U.S. as well despite being robbed of another probably 10 million at least by its DVD release date and short run.

Japan and the U.S. Are widely considered the most sophisticated animation markets and it destroyed Minions in those 2 markets and don't forget it was not a sequel and had mild expectations and then exploded.

Sorry but it's ridiculous to say "My movie would have won if only we could take away Frozens best Market".

Frozen beat it domestic, international and WW. Get over it! :-)

I don't see it ridiculous at all. The numbers speak for themselves. Do the math and you'll see the results.

It's not going to best Frozen, but it's an interesting calculation nevetheless, seeing that 95% of the markets were in favor of one film over the other.

The difference between both films will end up being 100m which is the Japan difference only (actually less). Without Japan, Minions made more internationally because the difference between them both in Japan was 200m so Minions made 100 more than Frozen in all other 64 markets combined including the US. It's correct that we can't remove one market to judge overseas, but no way is the calculation not worthy of consideration just because someone prefers one movie over the other.

Japan is indeed a sophiticated market but Minions had the best legs overseas in Germany and in Japan actually where it is the highest non disney and non pixar there..but for course nothing compared to the 250m of Frozen there.

Edited by MinaTakla

Frozen grossed more, get over it. Minions still made well over a BILLION dollars in case you haven't noticed. It did great.

It's not about getting over facts - am just pointing out an interesting calculation that I found by looking at the charts at BOM.

In no way am I saying Frozen is less successful, of course not. It will end up making 100m more which is a sizable amount.

• Like 1

I don't see it ridiculous at all. The numbers speak for themselves. Do the math and you'll see the results.

It's not going to best Frozen, but it's an interesting calculation nevetheless, seeing that 95% of the markets were in favor of one film over the other.

The difference between both films will end up being 100m which is the Japan difference only (actually less). Without Japan, Minions made more internationally. It's correct that we can't remove one market to judge overseas, but no way is the calculation not worthy of consideration just because someone prefers one movie over the other.

But isn't it that ticket inflation already have an affect to this?

IMO, it's better to compare Frozen with Inside Out, than Minions. Apples and oranges, dude. Frozen is targeted to a different demographic in comparison to Minions. And honestly, from all your posts in this topic, I don't know what you're getting on.

Edited by phantom

But isn't it that ticket inflation already have an affect to this?

IMO, it's better to compare Frozen with Inside Out, than Minions. Apples and oranges, dude. Frozen is targeted to a different demographic in comparison to Minions. And honestly, from all your posts in this topic, I don't know what you're getting on.

Ticket inflation - peludo posted an interesting chart mentioning that with today's prices, Frozen would have made 760m OS by today's exchange rates or something. It's in the OS thread I think where he did some conversion to today's exchange rates.

I liked Frozen too btw. And I don't see that my posts are in any way diminishing Frozen's huge success. Seeing that some posters were comparing both, I ran the numbers to see if this discussion has any reference in terms of the numbers on BOM and the-numbers.com and they did.

Edited by MinaTakla

Ticket inflation - peludo posted an interesting chart mentioning that with today's prices, Frozen would have made 760m OS by today's exchange rates or something. It's in the OS thread I think where he did some conversion to today's exchange rates.

I liked Frozen too btw. And I don't see that my posts are in any way diminishing Frozen's huge success. Seeing that some posters were comparing both, I ran the numbers to see if this discussion has any reference in terms of the numbers on BOM and the-numbers.com and they did.

I remember seeing that chart. If I remember correctly, all it did was convert Frozen's earnings OS based on current exchange rates. I don't think he adjusted for ticket inflation or market growth, which are quite significant in some areas like Latin America or China. 

Edited by KP1025

Also, it's hard to compare movies and their runs from year to year or decade to decade. The thing is, if you look at Frozen and Minions, most of the European markets Minions finished first, Frozen finished VERY close behind. For example, Frozen was the number 1 movie in France for 2013, but it was a down year in France for Box Office. It might have finished higher in a different year. It finished in France with 47 million.

I can't find Minions France numbers. Last I saw it was at 44 million. I'm sure it's higher than that now. MinaTakla do you have that number?

Frozen was a completely unknown commodity, so to,finish relatively close in most European markets to Minions is unbelievable. Then, in the more sophisticated animated markets where it isn't quite so necessary to be a sequel, it hugely outperformed Minions.

Final gross doesn't always tell the story of which movie has a more impressive box office run.

For example, I have thought all summer that IO box office run is more impressive than Minions. However, Minions OS run has been so impressive now, that I think their runs are both about equal and both incredibly impressive.

However, IMHO, neither run compares to the run of Frozen.

Don't forget Frozen still would have made it over 1 billion without Japan.

Think about that number for an original animated film. It's astonishing.

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 1

Also, it's hard to compare movies and their runs from year to year or decade to decade. The thing is, if you look at Frozen and Minions, most of the European markets Minions finished first, Frozen finished VERY close behind. For example, Frozen was the number 1 movie in France for 2013, but it was a down year in France for Box Office. It might have finished higher in a different year. It finished in France with 47 million.

I can't find Minions France numbers. Last I saw it was at 44 million. I'm sure it's higher than that now. MinaTakla do you have that number?

Frozen was a completely unknown commodity, so to,finish relatively close in most European markets to Minions is unbelievable. Then, in the more sophisticated animated markets where it isn't quite so necessary to be a sequel, it hugely outperformed Minions.

Final gross doesn't always tell the story of which movie has a more impressive box office run.

For example, I have thought all summer that IO box office run is more impressive than Minions. However, Minions OS run has been so impressive now, that I think their runs are both about equal and both incredibly impressive.

However, IMHO, neither run compares to the run of Frozen.

Don't forget Frozen still would have made it over 1 billion without Japan.

Think about that number for an original animated film. It's astonishing.

Agree with your views on an original film beating a franchise. For sure Frozen's run is unparalled. Not comparable to Minions or IO. Definitely better than IO as an original film and better than Minions as well.

Frozen made 5.5m admissions in France (or 5.7), Minions made 6.25m so far and the total is around 46m so far (I am assuming the difference is maybe the lower euro? because minions had around 0.8 more addmissions or so). Minions will end making 48m in France and around 6.4 m admissions by end of Sept.

Edited by MinaTakla

Yay! It's official:

By Wednesday September 23rd, MINIONS is now the TENTH HIGHEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME WW!

SCREENDAILY: Universal Pictures International executives reported that Universal and Illumination’s Minions has grossed $791.7m.

333M DOM by Tuesday + 791.7m by Wednesday = 1.124.7 billion - kicking out Transformers 3 from the all-time top 10 (with 1.123.8 billion)!

A huge achievement for an animated film, let alone a spin-off that played out like a direct sequel to DM2.

Despite relatively lower grosses in China than expected, the film should hit 800m OS in a few days and will become the second animated film in history to cross 800m.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/hotel-transylvania-2-to-open-in-35-territories/5094587.article?blocktitle=INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40079

• Like 1

HIGHEST GROSSING FILMS OF ALL TIME WW

Titanic $2,186,772,302 - 1997

Jurassic World Dagger-14-plain.png $1,659,480,868 - 2015

The Avengers $1,519,557,910 - 2012

Furious 7 $1,511,726,205 - 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron $1,402,382,882 - 2015

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,341,511,219 - 2011

Frozen $1,279,852,693 - 2013

Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994 - 2013

Minions $1,124,700,000 - 2015

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

Early this morning as soon as Screen Daily posted this week's OS groses, I sent the tweet with the Minions top 10 WW all time news to Forbes on Twitter: (mentioned Forbes' Scott M,)

https://twitter.com/mnm/status/647284231849144320

And guess what? Scott wrote a write up about it shortly after! Love it!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/09/25/box-office-minions-becomes-10th-highest-grossing-movie-of-all-time/

Box Office: 'Minions' Tops 'Transformers 3' To Become 10th Highest Grossing Movie Of All Time

Minions has officially earned $1.127 billion as of today and has thus eclipsed Transformer: Dark of the Moon to make the Illumination/Universal animated prequel into the tenth-biggest grossing movie of all time. The Illumination production, distributed by Universal/Comcast CMCSA -0.39% Corp., is now the 10th biggest grosser in global box office history and the second-biggest animated feature ever behind the $1.274 billion total of Frozen. That includes $333 million in domestic earnings and an estimated $794 million overseas since opening in mid June overseas and in America on July 10th.