CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Minions have existed since the beginning of time. So...who are the minions?

They look like a type of bacteria or protozoa, except for being much larger and ostensibly multicellular.

Looks terrible, not interested in the slightest

I have no interest, either, except for what it will do at the box office, although for what it is, it's not bad (about the only route they could have taken).

This is gonna be huge.

Almost certainly. Personally, I've never seen the appeal, but the general audience is crazy about these characters.

It's almost the same situation as with DM2 and MU. MU opened 13 days before DM2 and Inside Out opens 20 days before Minions. When DM opened the late legs for MU were gone. It started falling really ugly after that.

I think that Monsters University did fine. In my view it was a highly front-loaded prequel that didn't live up to the hype and more generally wasn't exactly a crowd-pleaser, while Despicable Me 2 promised Minions, gave the audience what they wanted, and they rewarded it accordingly.

Don't get me wrong--I consider Monsters University, for all its shortcomings, the far superior movie of these two, but the GA is crazy about the Minions, who are a kind of phenomenon in and of themselves. I don't see why AT ALL, but I don't have to in order to realize their popularity; I don't understand why the Transformers movies don't all flop, either, but they're all huge blockbusters nevertheless.

Inside Out has a bit more time to get money, which is good since it's not a known brand like MU. But it will likely won't have good late legs that are a pretty big deal for animations.

If it's good and pleases audiences in a big way, then it should have better legs than Monsters University did, even with the Minions drawing a lot of attention. It's probably not going to scale the same heights at the box office as the others unless it becomes a break-out hit (unpredictable at this point), but it should be able to do fine even with the competition.

250M is the absolute floor for Minions. I see it making more in the 300M area.

Seems reasonable for an expectation, with the mid-300Ms as its upside. That's quite a wide range, but then again it is difficult to predict whether these characters have begun to decline in popularity after reaching the current peak that is Despicable Me 2. One way or another, it will be difficult and unlikely--albeit not impossible--for Inside Out to win this particular box office battle.

As for Inside Out, it should max out at around 220M, which is very good for it.

It depends on whether Pixar is really back in terms of quality and impressing the audience--if so, then it could do better, and if not, then $220M seems reasonable.

• Like 1

Minions are a fad, I don't think they can hold a movie well on their own.

Just imagine how the DM movies would have performed had the minions not been in the movies.

The GA, especially kids, don't think about this 'holding a movie on their own' thing. They see the minions, they dig them, they bring money.

Again I am not a fan, I just think kids will eat this up big time.

Btw, there is no way INSIDE OUT will win against this. My last hope is THE GOOD DINOSAUR.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Just imagine how the DM movies would have performed had the minions not been in the movies.

Yes, not that I necessarily see everything, but all I've seen is the public's interest in the Minions (children, at least, but in droves).

The GA, especially kids, don't think about this 'holding a movie on their own' thing. They see the minions, they dig them, they bring money.

Exactly, although the burning question is when this fad will have run its course, and whether it has or not already. If so, then there will be a potentially sharp decline (still big numbers, though), but if not, then who knows? Have they been replaced by Frozen's characters (Elsa in particular, of course) as the current object of children's relatively long-term obsession? If so, then that could open the door for other animated features to shine next year.

Again I am not a fan, I just think kids will eat this up big time.

Same here.

Btw, there is no way INSIDE OUT will win against this. My last hope is THE BIG DINOSAUR.

The dinosaur will probably be big, but I think the main point is that he will be good. ;) As for this project's prospects, honestly I don't have a feel for this one at all--there is practically nothing to go on besides the Pixar name and the basic premise (which I'm ambivalent about), and in my opinion this studio still has something to prove after their last few movies.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2