mmacader

Wednesday (7/25/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $13.77m

WB is licking their chops to put a Batman movie in 3D, especially in overseas markets. They will have 3 objectives at the top of the list for the reboot:

1. Put it in 3D.

2. Give Batman 30 minutes or more of screentime instead of 15 minutes.

3. Make the film 125 minutes instead of 165 minutes.

Amen.

I agree with red.I wanted more batman for every single Nolan film... But I understand that he felt more comfortable and eager to tell Bruce's hero cycle than anything.

The TDK and TDKR Batvoice ruins a lot of his scenes, so I'm more of a fan of the Nolan/Bale version of Bruce. I was glad to see more focus on Bruce in TDKR than TDK. Also glad to see Bale actually cared about his performance this time instead of going through the motions like he did in TDK.

WB is licking their chops to put a Batman movie in 3D, especially in overseas markets. They will have 3 objectives at the top of the list for the reboot:1. Put it in 3D.2. Give Batman 30 minutes or more of screentime instead of 15 minutes.3. Make the film 125 minutes instead of 165 minutes.

Why can't we have an actual "BATMAN" movie? I don't think it is unreasonable to have him in the cape and cowl the entire movie. We've gotten enough Bruce Wayne to last us a while, let's get plenty of Batman for once.
  • Like 2

Why can't we have an actual "BATMAN" movie? I don't think it is unreasonable to have him in the cape and cowl the entire movie. We've gotten enough Bruce Wayne to last us a while, let's get plenty of Batman for once.

A Batman movie that doesn't show Bruce Wayne? That's an interesting idea. They desperately need to give him a more efficient Batsuit than what we've seen the last 23 years. Enough of the bulky rubber that keeps the fight scenes from ever being as good as they should be.

WB is licking their chops to put a Batman movie in 3D, especially in overseas markets. They will have 3 objectives at the top of the list for the reboot:1. Put it in 3D.2. Give Batman 30 minutes or more of screentime instead of 15 minutes.3. Make the film 125 minutes instead of 165 minutes.

lol, WB better do the reboot the next few years before the 3D craze dies OS like it did in US.
  • Like 1

THG is apples to TDKR's oranges.

1st Wed:

TDKR: 13.8m(-22.3%)

THG: 8.05m(-22.2%)

This is Summer vs Spring. Which means TDKR is burning off more demand during the week. TDKR started 8.4m ahead of THG for its first 3 days and has gained 21.6m in its last three days. I would not be shocked in the least if it pitches under THG this weekend due to demand being burned off during the week. THG is a horrible comparison, DH2 and of course, TDK are much better comparison films, IMO.

You guys are overreacting. And there are certain individuals ringing this film's death knell that are really surprising me as they are normally very logical posters.

No shit, we're still looking at a film that's unless it completely collapses is going to gross over 400 million which has only been done by 11 films in their original release.

I hate to see what this place would be like if Avatar 2, 3 and 4 made "only" 500 million each.

Edited by DAR

Midnights will be 15M+?

No. 15M midnights is not common. That is reserved for massively huge movies. TBL will do maybe 2-3 mill midnights.

I think 3D is a great invention that is used poorly. I've seen it work, too bad its used by hacks.

The best 3D experience I had at the theater was the first Journey to the Center of the Earth with Fraser. That movie had T-Rex's biting at your face, asteroids coming out of the screen and into your lap. It was a truly amazing experience and I'm shocked at how bad and truly pointless 3D has become now.
  • Like 3

A Batman movie that doesn't show Bruce Wayne? That's an interesting idea. They desperately need to give him a more efficient Batsuit than what we've seen the last 23 years. Enough of the bulky rubber that keeps the fight scenes from ever being as good as they should be.

It can still have Bruce and show him as Bruce; but we don't need another full on origin story. Have him already be Batman and throw in a couple of flash backs or something. They can have a couple of scenes showing him living it up like a billionaire playboy. Just give us more Batman and more Bat-mobile action.

haha, true! Seems some overseas audiences are starting to catch on to what we figured out a couple years ago.

3D's a novelty OS like it was in US around Avatar's release but eventually, it'll run it's course. Only question is, what will 3D ratio be for Avatar 2? Will audiences re-embrace 3D or shun it?

It can still have Bruce and show him as Bruce; but we don't need another full on origin story. Have him already be Batman and throw in a couple of flash backs or something. They can have a couple of scenes showing him living it up like a billionaire playboy. Just give us more Batman and more Bat-mobile action.

I am all in favor of staying away from the origin. For one thing due to the fact that I consider Batman Begins the best superhero movie ever made precisely because of its origin story. Nolan took some liberties with the story and arguably made it even better than it was in the books. Good luck topping Bruce's epic origin in the first hour of BB. Besides that, I think you can turn this character into a Bond-esque franchise. The stories don't need to be connected. You can just have a bunch of random adventures and every one of them can have its own identity. The key is getting the right producers involved. I want Bruce Timm and Paul Dini from the Animated Series. Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

People need to remember that TDKR's multiplier isn't going to be any worse than it would have been without the shooting, and could end up being a little better. If it gets a 2.6 multi (finishes around 415-420) and we assume at least $20 million lost OW, then its total if this had never happened would have been at most around 470. Honestly, to have beaten TA's total its opening weekend would have had to have been close to the 250 the loonies were predicting. Of course, it could end up getting a better multiplier (and the business lost OW could have been more than 20m) but the final total is not going to be hugely different.

• Like 1