mmacader

Wednesday (7/25/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $13.77m

And there are certain individuals ringing this film's death knell that are really surprising me as they are normally very logical posters.

I'm trying to figure out how or why the death knell should be rung for a non-Joker Batman movie that will likely gross $400+ million even with a nearly 3 hour runtime, Batman only in it for 15 minutes, and a national tragedy during an opening night screening. Compare this with Batman Forever, which has a lot better market conditions in its favor and adjusts to $335 million. Considering the apparent $600+ million overseas that this film is heading for, I just can't jump on the "death knell" bandwagon...especially not when I was predicting a huge drop in the first place.
  • Like 5

I'm trying to figure out how or why the death knell should be rung for a non-Joker Batman movie that will likely gross $400+ million even with a nearly 3 hour runtime, Batman only in it for 15 minutes, and a national tragedy during an opening night screening. Compare this with Batman Forever, which has a lot better market conditions in its favor and adjusts to $335 million. Considering the apparent $600+ million overseas that this film is heading for, I just can't jump on the "death knell" bandwagon...especially not when I was predicting a huge drop in the first place.

Exactly. I always knew this was going to be frontloaded(I was predicting around a 2.5 multi) and the situation its in right now only exacerbates that. Let's at least wait until after this weekend to see how it rebounds to say thumbs up/thumbs down on its performance.

I just found out that corporate cancelled our midnights tonight. Not too surprised, but has anyone else seen midnights cancelled in their area?

I hope they just wait until BD2 to start them up again.

Step Up is having midnights tonight... in 2D and 3D. Gotta give the people what they want.

Exactly my feelings. I didn't get why everyone was expecting an increase from Dark Knight - very difficult except if the quality would be better which is equally difficult when you try to top one of the best action/SH films in recent history. My son saw it yesterday, his comment: "nice spectacle, but not as good as the second one". I have yet to see it but from what I've read there's no indication that it is in fact a better film than TDK. Please compare the numbers to "Batman Begins" or Spiderman to get a perspective.
  • Like 1

Step Up is having midnights tonight... in 2D and 3D. Gotta give the people what they want.

Yeah, we have to have both at a midnight.

On February 9th, we had midnights for The Vow, Safe House, Journey 2D, Journey 3D, and TPM 3D.

People actually came to Journey!!!!

Exactly my feelings. I didn't get why everyone was expecting an increase from Dark Knight - very difficult except if the quality would be better which is equally difficult when you try to top one of the best action/SH films in recent history. My son saw it yesterday, his comment: "nice spectacle, but not as good as the second one". I have yet to see it but from what I've read there's no indication that it is in fact a better film than TDK. Please compare the numbers to "Batman Begins" or Spiderman to get a perspective.

Check out Rotten Tomatoes. At least 50% of the Good reviews state it's better than it's predecessor.
  • Like 1

Considering the sercumstances that this movie opened under, I'd say it's doing pretty well. I don't think the drops it's had every day this week would have been much different had the shooting not occurred. The main difference would be that the daily numbers it started with would have been higher. I'm going to ride the 450m train until it's absolutely impossible for it to make it.

• Like 1

I just found out that corporate cancelled our midnights tonight. Not too surprised, but has anyone else seen midnights cancelled in their area?I hope they just wait until BD2 to start them up again.

Is that for the foreseeable future or week by week?

Considering the sercumstances that this movie opened under, I'd say it's doing pretty well.I don't think the drops it's had every day this week would have been much different had the shooting not occurred. The main difference would be that the daily numbers it started with would have been higher.I'm going to ride the 450m train until it's absolutely impossible for it to make it.

As we all should do.

Is that for the foreseeable future or week by week?

I have no idea. Right now, just this week.

Based on the past two years of August midnights, I hope to God it's for the foreseeable future. It really is a waste of everything imaginable unless it's a mega-opener.

I remember when midnights used to mean something, SW, LOTR, Matrix. Now there are literally midnights for everything.

• Like 1

For and Against this movie:For:Finale - Expected to bring TDK and BB viewers to movieVery Good to Great reviews and WOM - Expected to deliver repeat viewings -Hyped Movie - Expected to bring in AudienceAgainst:Aurora, CO - Expected to hold people from coming to movie/theater, current percentage range from 10-20% holding outCompared against TDK - Compared against arguably the greatest superhero movie and one of the best movies of all time - This creates a perception of diminished Quality. If TDKR came before TDK, it would have been hailed as one of the greatest on its own rightNo Villian like Joker - Villians not up to par with one of the greatest villian performances - This diminishes repeat viewingsAurora, CO pretty much negated 50% of hype and a significant percentage of it countered the Word of MouthI don't think Comparing to TDK and Villian would matter too much in Box Office because 90% would still see it.A very clear example is the change in tone of the whole forum board here from excitement to down in the dolldrums. That diminishes hype for the movie. We have a few very sensible people here and if the Aurora incident demolished their hype, just imagine what it did to the average viewer

Edited by Hasan Ahmad
  • Like 1

Based on the past two years of August midnights, I hope to God it's for the foreseeable future. It really is a waste of everything imaginable unless it's a mega-opener.

I remember when midnights used to mean something, SW, LOTR, Matrix. Now there are literally midnights for everything.

Yeah, pointless to even do them if demand isn't big.

I forgot which movie it was but somebody posted a picture of a midnight showing with 2 people and they were pissed they had to work, lol.

No death knell for TDKR or Batman future movies. It'll be fine for the future especially with it's brand name getting bigger in foreign territories. Reboot probably will lose money domestically but OS will easily counteract that.

No death knell for TDKR or Batman future movies. It'll be fine for the future especially with it's brand name getting bigger in foreign territories. Reboot probably will lose money domestically but OS will easily counteract that.

WB is licking their chops to put a Batman movie in 3D, especially in overseas markets. They will have 3 objectives at the top of the list for the reboot:1. Put it in 3D.2. Give Batman 30 minutes or more of screentime instead of 15 minutes.3. Make the film 125 minutes instead of 165 minutes.
  • Like 1