baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

Can we just stop talking about the shooting and the effect on the gross of the movie.TDKR is not doing bad, it was just expected to do better but things have changed since last weekend.

It is a great number, however it already showed that TDKR wasn't going to live up to the very high expectations 80% of this board had.

Yeah, it may not have hit high expectations but I was perfectly happy with 180-190 opening. I mean that was what even the "haters" were predicting before it all went to hell.

• Founder / Operator

This is the biggest "what if" of our BO life time. There's no way to quantify how many admissions TDKR lost on OW and how many it continues to lose? We just don't know, how many people are afraid to go see TDKR? I think 500M would have happened without the shooting but we'll never know, which is just sad. A shooting changed the history of a movie. From now till end of time, shooting will always be connected to TDKR. :( :( :(

I personally agree that it was a shoe-in for $500 million or more. Tracking was incredible heading into the weekend and word of mouth is considerably strong. But this is the nature of the situation, there will never be any concrete evidence to prove anything. My hope is that "haters" and "fanboys" on each side of the fence always remember that.

35m-40m would be DH2's midnight admissions. And yeah, both are 'finales' but one with the huge book fanbase had more immediate, pent-up demand. DH2 was selling out everything in late June if I recall correctly. At that point TDKR was only selling out IMAX shows.

The midnight number shouldn't be a victim of our expectations because it's a damn great number.

Very well-said. I've never personally cared for using the expectations of the forums as the end-all-be-all barometer for classifying what is "disappointing" or "expected" or whatever else. Realistically, any predictions over $30 million were always optimistic (including my own). Batman is no different than other comic book franchises: less fervent central fan base than Potter/Twilight, but enough mainstream appeal to make up for it over the weekend and thereafter. The Avengers and Transformers are fair evidence of that, IMHO.
  • Like 2

I was wrong, we didn't even make it to 2300 tonight! Talk about slow.Here are TDKR's numbers compared to last weekend.

MOVIE WEEKEND Friday Saturday Sunday Total

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 7/20-7/22 3275 2184 2115 7574
  7/27-7/29 863      
  +/- -0.74    

I'm honestly worried. Who knows how many nutjobs there are out there?

Trust me, another shooting would have disastrous consequences for us. (movie going public) Edited by druv10

• Founder / Operator

When you referred to legacy, I assumed you meant the film itself.

Nah. I think we'd all be kidding ourselves to say we know what the film's legacy itself will be. We couldn't even say what that is had there been no shooting affecting audience interest -- let alone what it will be now.
  • Like 2

I'm honestly worried. Who knows how many nutjobs there are out there?

Well thank god you weren't being sarcastic or something. I honestly wasn't sure the way you just casually asked it out of the blue.Anyways, I seriously doubt it. These "copycat killers" the media likes to drum up after tragedies like this pretty much never actually happen.
  • Like 1

I was wrong, we didn't even make it to 2300 tonight! Talk about slow.Here are TDKR's numbers compared to last weekend. MOVIE WEEKEND Friday Saturday Sunday Total THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 7/20-7/22 3275 2184 2115 7574 7/27-7/29 863 +/- -0.74

Does that Friday number from last week include midnight? Bound to with the 33% drop on Saturday, right?

I was wrong, we didn't even make it to 2300 tonight! Talk about slow.Here are TDKR's numbers compared to last weekend. MOVIE WEEKEND Friday Saturday Sunday Total THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 7/20-7/22 3275 2184 2115 7574 7/27-7/29 863 +/- -0.74

Posted Image

Damn.

• Founder / Operator

The Olympics aren't helping things. If TDKR is going to recover its lost audience, I wouldn't expect it to happen until the end of this weekend (Sat/Sun) at the absolute earliest. It could end up being very back-loaded if it doesn't, or it may never at all. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I was wrong, we didn't even make it to 2300 tonight! Talk about slow.Here are TDKR's numbers compared to last weekend.

MOVIE WEEKEND Friday Saturday Sunday Total
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 7/20-7/22 3275 2184 2115 7574
7/27-7/29 863
+/- -0.74
How does that compare to The Avengers?