baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

DH2 wasn't dealing with the Olympics opening ceremony, so that isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Regardless, if there isn't a big jump tomorrow, 400m might not be a certainty, which is quite dreadful.

Yeah, my theater was dead today. TDKR picked up a bit when it came to the late shows but that's about it.The Watch is a hilarious bomb though... not only were very few people going to it, but several of the people who did go to it actually came out during the film complaining about how bad it was. LOL, I can't wait to see the Cinemascore on that one.

Edited by Eraserhead

Eh, didn't realize it was a 5 day opener. Fine, but the overall point is the weekend of the summer Olympics opening is never a huge box office weekend, and this weekend will probably outgross 2008's corresponding one (about 105m that weekend for the top 12 vs a likely 115-120m for the top 12 this weekend). The Olympics DID affect the BO. You can't have that many people watching the opening ceremony and then argue it didn't. Honestly why are some of you so intent on ONLY using the tragedy whenever TDKR disappoints? It's seriously getting disturbing.

If that is directed at me, then I guess you haven't seen my posts. Nikke's headline for tonight:

Moviegoers Still Scared: . There have been NRG surveys. It's been reported by the trades. It's a fact of box office we all have to deal with now.

Regardless, if there isn't a big jump tomorrow, 400m might not be a certainty, which is quite dreadful.

Of course $400m isn't a certainty, but stuff evens out in the end. The movie has external BS going on during both of its first two weekends. Eventually it'll have some more normal weekends.

If that is directed at me, then I guess you haven't seen my posts. Nikke's headline for tonight:

Moviegoers Still Scared: . There have been NRG surveys. It's been reported by the trades. It's a fact of box office we all have to deal with now.

Please. Nikki is a drama queen and admitted media whore who feeds off of this kind of stuff. Of course she's gonna drag this whole "OMG people are scared to go to the theaters" thing out as long as she possibly can. I find it a gross misuse of the tragedy as I have already made perfectly clear in several long posts that I won't get into again. All I'll say is the Olympics had a far bigger impact on the BO tonight than anything else.
  • Like 2

Yeah, my theater was dead today. TDKR picked up a bit when it came to the late shows but that's about it.The Watch is a hilarious bomb though... not only were very few people going to it, but several of the people who did go to it actually came out during the film complaining about how bad it was. LOL, I can't wait to see the Cinemascore on that one.

I was actually planning on seeing The Watch at a early maintee this morning so I could review the movie but I slept in instead. The only people I know who have even said it was good were the Spill crew. Edited by MovieGuyKyle17

remember guys, a x2.5 multiplier for a movie extremely well received is practically impossible

Eh, didn't realize it was a 5 day opener. Fine, but the overall point is the weekend of the summer Olympics opening is never a huge box office weekend, and this weekend will probably outgross 2008's corresponding one (about 105m that weekend for the top 12 vs a likely 115-120m for the top 12 this weekend). The Olympics DID affect the BO. You can't have that many people watching the opening ceremony and then argue it didn't. Honestly why are some of you so intent on ONLY using the tragedy whenever TDKR disappoints? It's seriously getting disturbing.

I agree with you that opening ceremony had bigger impact on BO this Friday than shooting, I'm just depressed that TDKR might miss 400M.

remember guys, a x2.5 multiplier for a movie extremely well received is practically impossible

I don't mean to sound so dramatic, but....the numbers have ranged from 'ok' to 'depressing' all week. It's mirroring the movie right now, man, without the 'rise' part.

I agree with you that opening ceremony had bigger impact on BO this Friday than shooting, I'm just depressed that TDKR might miss 400M.

I don't think we have to worry about that yet. Unless we see another 55%+ drop next weekend or something it's still headed well to 400m with a 2nd weekend of $55-60m. Edited by MovieMan89