baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

Hasan, I'm aware of what he's written. They are Nolanized versions of the characters. And I'm pretty sure he never directed Person of Interest, he helped create the show and wrote for it but he hasn't directed any episodes. I want a more fantastical Batman along the lines of the Animated Series.

• Like 1

I hope not. I want something different, not a watered down version of the Nolanverse. Give us Brad Bird as director and Bruce Timm/Paul Dini as producers.

Inspired. An adaption of the animated series would be awesome. We've seen the light and dark comic version of Batman, the "real world" Batman, now let's see their noir detective Batman(which is more like Bob Kane and Bill Finger's original version than any other). Maybe even base it in the 40's...or just as the animated series, in a timeless world.

Inspired. An adaption of the animated series would be awesome. We've seen the light and dark comic version of Batman, the "real world" Batman, now let's see their noir detective Batman(which is more like Bob Kane and Bill Finger's original version than any other). Maybe even base it in the 40's...or just as the animated series, in a timeless world.

Keep the IMAX cameras, which is partially why I want Bird. His Dubai scene in M:I4 is even better than anything Nolan came up with in TDK/TDKR. Imagine a scene like that with Batman hanging off a Gotham skyscraper. In fact, I can think of a similar scene in The Animated Series where Robin is suffering from Scarecrow's fear gas. The camera angle with him looking down over the city reminds me a lot of what Bird did with the IMAX shots in the Dubai sequence. Would be fucking AWESOME, especially if you mix it with Dini and Timm's storytelling.

It might be a little hyperbolic to say that WB is in trouble without Potter, but combine the fact that they've now lost Potter and Batman within a year and they could certainly find themselves struggling harder than they have in at least a decade as far as big blockbusters go. They'll be alright, but losing their two biggest franchises (and two of the most successful ever) will hurt them no doubt.

Yes it will hurt them. WB though has shown an ability to trust new and unproven directors, give them creative freedom, and take risks with their projects. Nolan was unproven when he was given the green light to do Batman Begins. The Wachowski Brothers were unproven when they made The Matrix.

The Wachowskis have Cloud Atlas and the mysterious Jupiter Ascending over the next few years, Nolan will continue to make films and those will be box office hits for WB. The Hobbit films in the short term will make tons of money, and in the longer term Jackson will continue to make profit if he works on big blockbuster films. Del Toro also has next year's mysterious Pacific Rim.

Plus, we have to wait and see what WB will do with future DC films.

Now, I'm not saying all of these mystery projects will be hits necessarily. Many of them could possibly flop. However, what I am saying is tha these are examples of WB willing to give creative freedom to directors, and willing to trust directors and willing to take a risk on the ambitious projects of these directors. WB as a studio is well-known for this, compared to other studios.

So yes some of these films could flop. On the other hand, some of these films could end up being big surprise hits, like The Matrix or Inception.

Keep the IMAX cameras, which is partially why I want Bird. His Dubai scene in M:I4 is even better than anything Nolan came up with in TDK/TDKR. Imagine a scene like that with Batman hanging off a Gotham skyscraper. In fact, I can think of a similar scene in The Animated Series where Robin is suffering from Scarecrow's fear gas. The camera angle with him looking down over the city reminds me a lot of what Bird did with the IMAX shots in the Dubai sequence. Would be fucking AWESOME, especially if you mix it with Dini and Timm's storytelling.

Lol what? I vehemently disagree with you there, but to each their own. I loved the MI4 Dubai IMAX scene, but what Nolan did in TDKR with IMAX exceeds that in my opinion.

So if this movie makes $60M+ this weekend it will have grossed at least $285M, which means it can hit $300M by Tuesday.That's very good but I guess it's still what we didn't expect.

^In hindsight, even with the tragedy, I think we may have been expecting too much. As redfirebird and I have stated many times in the past few years, this movie was already looking at a decrease overall due to the lack of The Joker and the Ledger factor. What I was surprised by was the OW admissions. That has to be due, at least in part, to the tragedy. My original prediction that I had since 2009 was 450m and it will get close to that. But in the weeks leading up to the release, I was swayed by the hype and The Avengers performance to believe 500m was going to happen. Not to be, I guess.

Some posters are asking about Rth? He's God among us mere mortals. He actually sees data unlike Nikki. She gets her information from sources, Rth is a mega source on to himself.

I see.

^In hindsight, even with the tragedy, I think we may have been expecting too much. As redfirebird and I have stated many times in the past few years, this movie was already looking at a decrease overall due to the lack of The Joker and the Ledger factor. What I was surprised by was the OW admissions. That has to be due, at least in part, to the tragedy. My original prediction that I had since 2009 was 450m and it will get close to that. But in the weeks leading up to the release, I was swayed by the hype and The Avengers performance to believe 500m was going to happen. Not to be, I guess.

I think without the shooting, TDKR would have hit 500M. If this hits 450M then 500M's a strong possibility without shooting.

We have data from a current poll that shows 20-25% of audiences are still afraid of going to the theater.Let's do a percentage breakdown. If TDKR makes 450M now, then without the tragedy, using that above 20% figure, it would have made up to roughly 540M domestic. If we use 25%, it would have made roughly up to 562M domestic.Without the tragedy, TDKR had a great chance at doing 500M+ domestically. We'll never just how much exactly it could have done. Edited by ACCA
  • Like 3

We have data from a current poll that shows 20-25% of audiences are still afraid of going to the theater.Let's do a percentage breakdown. If TDKR makes 450M now, then without the tragedy, using that above 20% figure, it would have made up to roughly 540M domestic. If we use 25%, it would have made roughly up to 562M domestic.Without the tragedy, TDKR had a great chance at doing 500M+ domestically. We'll never just how much exactly it could have done.

The only issue I have with that extrapolation is that TDKR did about 25% less during its midnight shows than expected. It's Friday proper was not really that unreasonable compared to its midnights. If there was some huge discrepancy between how it did over its first few days and what TDK did, then I would wholly agree with you. But its drops and increases since its OD are not that far off from TDK. Sure, it dropped slightly harder on Sunday, then dropped quite a bit harder on Monday, but its screen count was ridiculous. It had very few sellouts so Monday's drop was always going to be more normal due to the lack of sellout spillover. Its performance since Monday has improved gradually over DH2. I think the impact was maybe in the 10-15% range. I could see it at around 180m OW, 250m+ now on its way to 480+, maybe even 500. But 540-560? I highly doubt it was ever gonna reach that high.
  • Like 2

The only issue I have with that extrapolation is that TDKR did about 25% less during its midnight shows than expected. It's Friday proper was not really that unreasonable compared to its midnights. If there was some huge discrepancy between how it did over its first few days and what TDK did, then I would wholly agree with you. But its drops and increases since its OD are not that far off from TDK. Sure, it dropped slightly harder on Sunday, then dropped quite a bit harder on Monday, but its screen count was ridiculous. It had very few sellouts so Monday's drop was always going to be more normal due to the lack of sellout spillover. Its performance since Monday has improved gradually over DH2. I think the impact was maybe in the 10-15% range. I could see it at around 180m OW, 250m+ now on its way to 480+, maybe even 500. But 540-560? I highly doubt it was ever gonna reach that high.

God, I love the sound of logic. Music to my ears.

The midnights seem totally normal to me actually. I don't think anyone was questioning it when it happened. I think the opening day would have been way higher without the shooting. Closer to 90m.