Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

Lol, clowns. Batman isn't nearly as big without the Joker, plain and simple. Trying to jump all over the word I used to describe the Joker isn't helping your case. Maybe "bigger" can be seen as too broad, but the fact that your getting caught up on technicalities like this pretty much means you've got nothing left.

Had you said Joker makes Batman bigger fine but you said Joker's bigger than him. Which is just laughable.
  • Like 1

Audience polling/NRG Nielsen data was on par with Bourne Legacy. Flixster numbers were strong (way ahead of Ghost Rider and Wrath of the Titans which I saw a few people making comparisons too). Facebook activity was extremely far ahead of the first film, as was Twitter. MTC was basically the lone firm calling for a "low" opening, and MTC alone doesn't invalidate any point I've brought up. The point being that the majority of signs pointed toward a stronger opening.

Regarding the first film, people tend to mistake their own opinions for the general audience's opinion. I myself didn't care for the movie whatsoever, but the film's legs tell me what I need to know: it was well-liked by its audience.

And where are they now then?

Clearly they didn't like it all that much.

Catching Fire definitely could. Still over a year away though.

I think Catching FIre could actually decrease. I see it as a similar effect to Spider-Man and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Big first movies that captured the market at the right time, and subsequent sequels didn't quite match that despite doing great numbers..

BTW, does anyone see any movie in the near future beating TDKR gross without 3D?

No.

Bit of an irrelevant argument. There will be a few movies in the upcoming years that will beat TDKR, after inflation and 3D adjustment. The 2D vs. 3D argument doesn't make sense. Hell, TA spanked TDKR in terms of admissions if you want to go there.

I think he meant a movie that hasn't come out yet and one that isn't in 3d, so that doesn't include TA. Like I said, Catching Fire is the only one taht probably has a shot.

Would it matter though? If Disney was stupid and wanted to prove a point, they could release the Avengers 2 without 3D and it would probably beat TDKR's admissions.

Bit of an irrelevant argument. There will be a few movies in the upcoming years that will beat TDKR, after inflation and 3D adjustment. The 2D vs. 3D argument doesn't make sense. Hell, TA spanked TDKR in terms of admissions if you want to go there.

I dont see any 2D movie beating TDKR anytime soon.

Would it matter though? If Disney was stupid and wanted to prove a point, they could release the Avengers 2 without 3D and it would probably beat TDKR's admissions.

But they wont. Disney enjoys the extra $$$. Anyone would.But Nolan......(not a nolanite!)