Gopher

Movies you convinced yourself you liked more than you did

Pretty self-explanatory. Prometheus (Um, it was really pretty! And kind of interesting... right?)The Phantom Menace (In fairness, I was a kid. I thought the lightsabers were cool but I wasn't nearly as engaged as I was when I saw the original trilogy as a very small kid) The Muppets (It's really quite a good movie but my expectations were so sky-high and the film is really just above average)Super 8 (Well, the ending could have been... um... bah, whatever, this movie was mint!) Superman Returns (Well, er, um... fuck this movie)

I know this has happened to me before, but I can't think of many specific movies. I guess the prequels, but I haven't watched them in ages. Maybe Avatar too. I was worried THG would be this too, but thankfully is wasn't.

Edited by lab276

The Avengers. I wanted to love it so much and convinced myself I did. Went a second time and accepted I merely liked it. The hype made me want to love it. Avatar. See above. Although I hold Avatar in much higher regard. Fight Club. I tried. But I don't like it. Super 8Paranormal Activity 3Halloween remakeRachel Getting Married

This happens to me with a lot of Oscar bait films. Oh you hear how the movie has gold flowing from the stereos! Every performance is solid! I like it in the moment since I have to like but I forget it as soon as I leave the theater. Here are my worst offenders:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Remake

The Social Network

Moneyball

Hugo

Tree of Life

True Grit remake

127 Hours

Precious

Up in the Air

Frost/Nixon

Curious Case of Ben Button

Milk

Babel

Crash

Million Dollar Baby

Gran Torino

Munich

Good Night and Good Luck

Mystic River

Sideways

Edited by JackO

Dragon Tattoo and Moneyball were other big ones for me. Moneyball pained me because I am such a huge baseball fan and was hoping they found a way to turn what should be a dull subject for a cinematic film into something rousing and entertaining, but it's pretty much a bore for most of the runtime and the manner in which it tries to overcompensate near the end is downright laughable.

Edited by tribefan695

I don't know how this happens. Either you like something or you don't. It will be hard for me to convince myself otherwise.I'm curious as to how this happens. What is the thought process? Or maybe it was good enough while watching but reality sinks in? This is fascinating.

I don't know how this happens. Either you like something or you don't. It will be hard for me to convince myself otherwise.I'm curious as to how this happens. What is the thought process? Or maybe it was good enough while watching but reality sinks in? This is fascinating.

Pretty much. Sometimes it can be brought on by being really hyped for a movie before seeing it and desperately wanting your hype justified. Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Pretty much. Sometimes it can be brought on by being really hyped for a movie before seeing it and desperately wanting your hype justified.

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks! Yeah that hype is something else. I get caught up in it too. But I try not to take it all so seriously.

A Nightmare on Elm Street remakePrometheusMagic MikeThere's more but I can't think of them right now. Probably because I don't want to accept the fact that I didn't like the film itself as much as I wanted to. :P

Edited by Sixteen16