30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's a nice story but I was surprised how much praise this got from the critics. The animation is far from groundbreaking, the pace is slow, and the plot is a mishmash between several earlier films (Flight of the Navigator or ET come to mind). My impression is that this is how critics think a politically correct children's film should look; the rather mediocre BO-results are proof that the target audience itself had a different opinion.

Funnily enough, this is probably Vin Diesel's finest acting performance (he provided the voice for the titular iron giant, in case you didn't know), but in all seriousness, it's a beautiful film that gets me teary-eyed every time I watch it. Definite A.

There's a certain magic in being able to see a film on the big screen. It becomes alive in ways you never imagined. Take The Iron Giant. When I saw it as a kid, it was from my VHS I frequently rewatched over and over again. I stupidly didn't see it in theaters. When the Fathom Event came along to let me experience one of my favorite childhood films, I took the opportunity. Heck, it was a traditionally animated film in theaters these days. I had to see it.

I forgot just how exhilarating it is. Every frame is packed with jokes or bleak cinematography, and the subtext still holds up well today. All the voice work is phenomenal, and the animation is a true delight. The Giant is the best combination of CGI and traditional animation. The best thing was just how seeing it on the big screen gave me goosebumps at so many moments, and I even teared up twice. Once at the infamous SUPERMAN scene (which lead to cry well into the credits), but, unexpectedly, I cried also at their flying scene. It's a scene of true beauty, directed to perfection.

After this watch, I'm convinced this is Brad Bird's masterpiece. It touches your heart more than his other films do, and every character is sympathetic, even the bad guy (until the end). The animation also bumps it up a bit as the hand drawn charm adds more to Bird's character design unlike any other. A++

Side note: the added scene kinda sucked and messed with the pacing. Doesn't stop the film itself from being a phenomenal feature.

• Like 2

One of my favorite animated films ever.  Clever, tense, heart wrenching, etc.  The humor was very well done and then ending is so emotional that it gets to me every time no matter how many times I have seen it.  It's a shame this movie didn't do better at the Box Office because it is clearly a classic film in my opinion.

I'll one up Ethan's A+ with an A++!!!

• Like 1