A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I hope that in the release day of HTTYD3, the haters have already been expelled.

Ignore button isin't very effective.

Hey can't we live in peace, although my mind isn't made up i might see the second one and decide that I love it, but mabey not... 

• Like 2

Yes, HTTYD2 is good. See it, it needs your money.I've been worrying about HTTYD3 on and off since it opened. It's been gnawing at me for the past 4 weeks. Delaying it would be one thing. But it DW were to cancel it, a sequel that they announced and set a release date for long ago, it would probably cause their stock price to drop even worse. And even though HTTYD2 might be a disappointment, it will still make a profit, even if not a huge one. On the other hand, DWA had to take writedowns on three of their last 4 movies, all originals.When their originals are risky and they've been having bad luck with them, I'd think that they'd consider another sequel, even one to an underperforming sequel, a safer bet. After all, from 2015-17 they only have three sequels scheduled, versus six originals. I'd think that they would want to keep all the sequels on the schedule.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

Hey can't we live in peace, although my mind isn't made up i might see the second one and decide that I love it, but mabey not... 

I'm talking about people that only came in here to bring bad news, for own pleasure.

Edited by xSabrinax
  • Like 1

No actually the plot of Finding Dory is that they are looking for Dory's family. I just think that people have a love affair with finding Nemo and that Finding Dory will be pretty good. Is Brad Bird back for Incredibles 2? 

Finding Dory is not going to break records.

I'm calling it now it doesn't make $400m.

The storyline sounds like it's DTV.

The Incredibles has a chance to outgross it if TI2 is any good. If the excuse that "not all good movies need sequels" is alive and well with Star Trek, How to Train Your Dragon and possibly Apes experiencing this, Dory is not going to be the exception. It has no reason for a sequel.

• Like 2

Finding Dory is not going to break records.

I'm calling it now it doesn't make $400m.

The storyline sounds like it's DTV.

The Incredibles has a chance to outgross it if TI2 is any good. If the excuse that "not all good movies need sequels" is alive and well with Star Trek, How to Train Your Dragon and possibly Apes experiencing this, Dory is not going to be the exception. It has no reason for a sequel.

It well make money either way. While it doesn't necessarily need a sequal that won't necessarily keep it from being a very good movie.

• Like 2

Guys, X movie won't make X money because its predecessor was popular. To gross +350m, X sequel needs an amazing marketing and reviews, a popular predecessor, not much competition and the most important thing, the movie needs to look interesting to GA. In other words, the perfect storm.

• Like 1

Guys, X movie won't make X money because its predecessor was popular. To gross +350m, X sequel needs an amazing marketing and reviews, a popular predecessor, not much competition and the most important thing, the movie needs to look interesting to GA. In other words, the perfect storm.

Of course this will look intrsting to the GA, it has characters that they love. I am putting hope into the markating and quality. 

• Like 1

Yes, HTTYD2 is good. See it, it needs your money.I've been worrying about HTTYD3 on and off since it opened. It's been gnawing at me for the past 4 weeks.Delaying it would be one thing. But it DW were to cancel it, a sequel that they announced and set a release date for long ago, it would probably cause their stock price to drop even worse. And even though HTTYD2 might be a disappointment, it will still make a profit, even if not a huge one. On the other hand, DWA had to take writedowns on three of their last 4 movies, all originals.When their originals are risky and they've been having bad luck with them, I'd think that they'd consider another sequel, even one to an underperforming sequel, a safer bet. After all, from 2015-17 they only have three sequels scheduled, versus six originals. I'd think that they would want to keep all the sequels on the schedule.

HTTYD2 is likely going to be more profitable compared to Turbo and Peabody and Sherman so I think the third film will happen. I think expectations were too high both from fans and DWA themselves. 

I think the rise of newer animation companies like Illumination and Sony as well as resurgence from Warner Bros and Disney has hurt DWA more than anything, they've tried to diversify with buying up characters like Trolls, Felix and Classic Media as well going into television, online and theme parks but I wonder if it's too little, too late. I think the current three movies a year is also hurting them, reducing it to 1-2 a year would help a lot as well as cutting budgets to a reasonable level, they cannot produce films at $145-150m and expect everyone to do $200m+ domestic, that's simply unrealistic.

I also think they need new leadership but I can't imagine Katzenberg stepping down unless he's forced out

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

The shareholders would have to force Katzenberg out, like how Disney shareholders revolted against Eisner a decade ago. It hasn't come to that yet - but if things get worse, there is a risk.But there doesn't seem to be a Roy E. Disney who would lead such a charge, and DreamWorks doesn't have enough of a legacy for something along the lines of Roy's "a legacy betrayed" platform to really work.I think the only person who would have enough clout to lead a shareholder rebellion in the way Roy led the Disney one, would be Steven Spielberg. And I somehow doubt he cares enough at this point (and I think the two are still personal friends?)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2