The Master

29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

really amazing, one of the few "art" movies that I enjoyed. Wonderful cinematography, amazing acting and strong themes. The weak link is the score, just serviceable  B (80)

Edited by Goffe Luvs 1D

I also have to say that after two viewings I was convinced I wasn't a fan of the film. To me it was a very rare movie in which, on the surface, everything worked spectacularly - the characters & performances, the dialogue, the cinematography, the soundtrack, etc. - but the one crucial element that wasn't there was that little spark which would give it all life. Everything was there, gorgeous and moving with a fine pace, but I just couldn't establish an emotional connection with anything for longer than 15 minutes, and the further the narrative went, the less focused it became. By the end I thought PTA himself was so entranced by all the possibilities the premise and the characters would provide (1950s America! a cult! a drifting war vet! a girl that he left behind! an idealistic, well-intentioned leader of said cult! his wife who is the real Master! his son who doesn't believe him! bored lonely housewifes who worship him! sceptics calling him out on his bullshit! etc etc etc) that he couldn't decide just what exactly to make a film about. So he made one that was pretty much about all of the above but at the same time about none of it, because there's no focus. Themes, ideas pop up throughout, never to stay for longer than several consecutive scenes, sometimes to reappear again down the road; they are ever-moving, ever-fleeting and nothing, in the end, truly hooked me.

When it comes to the PTA filmography, as far as I'm concerned, There Will Be Blood and Punch-Drunk Love trump The Master any day of the week. Boogie Nights is better as well. Magnolia and The Master are the two films that have quite a bit going for them but are also flawed in some important ways. I need to revisit Hard Eight, but from what I remember it was a perfectly good movie, just a slight one. 

pretty much this. it seemed thematically opaque not from design, but from trying to throw curveballs in everywhere. i felt the ending was particularly off the mark.

but it was still good.

6/10

(note: when i say 'pretty much this', i am of course excluding the positive comments regarding punch-drunk love, which is undoubtedly the most irritating thing to have ever been created).

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

The Master might be (very) hard to follow, but it still is a PTA film, which means it's perfect in every area and never boring despite being lost at various points
in the movie. 

TM was my introduction to PTA, who would later become one of my favorite directors. I will always have soft spot for it.

There Will be Blood 100/100
Magnolia 100/100
Punch-Drunk Love 100/100
The Master 80/100
Hard Eight 70/100
Boogie Nights 70/100
Inherent Vice 45/100

Edited by Goffe

Boogie Nights is a masterpiece and one of the best films of the '90s (Quentin Tarantino can corroborate this claim), but I kind of feel it has been a bit downhill for PTA after that. I mean, yeah, Magnolia is a damn fine movie and There Will Be Blood is pretty incredible, but The Master felt too cold and never really grabbed me. Sure, it's technically impressive, but to me it is a film to admire rather than actually enjoy.