Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Estimates (9/14 - 9/16/12) - PAGE 21 - (RE5 $21.1m, Nemo $17.5m, Master $730k!)

• Founder / Operator

Re: Red State

Grady Smith@EWGradySmith

I'm confused -- everyone is saying 'The Master's $145,949 avg. is the best non-animated of all time. Why are we all ignoring 'Red State'

Ray Subers@raysubers @EWGradySmith Ignoring Red State because it has a GIANT asterisk ($40+ ticket prices + Kevin Smith in person appearance = cheating).

Not to mention BOM's number is potentially bogus to begin with as we discovered this morning when doing the report.

Also doesn't mention the fact that a lot of the Disney releases with higher PTAs had premium prices too. If you ignore one, you have to ignore them all. They should just take Red State's # out of the system.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Didn't tracking have Nemo and RE5 in the mid-20s? Whups. Everything else was pretty impressive, though.

some of the tracking for this weekend:boxoffice.com:Nemo - 24RE5 - 20MTC:Nemo - 33RE5 - 28RS:Nemo - low to mid 20'sRE5 - low 20'sBTC:Nemo - 35RE5 - 28Everyone overpredicted Nemo, some predicting about double what it made. They were a lot closer on RE5.

Not to mention BOM's number is potentially bogus to begin with as we discovered this morning when doing the report. Also doesn't mention the fact that most of the Disney releases with higher PTAs had huge premium prices too. If you ignore one, you have to ignore them all. They should just take Red State's # out of the system.

I still think KS fucked up with the strategy on that one. Had he allowed a proper distributor to take it on he could have made a good chunk of money out if it.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I still think KS fucked up with the strategy on that one. Had he allowed a proper distributor to take it on he could have made a good chunk of money out if it.

Maybe, but I doubt it would have found much more of an audience. I like Smith a lot, but, the film didn't even go over well with his fans from what I can tell.Also, as a correction on my earlier post I meant to refer to to Disney releases from the 1990s. Not sure about those on Mojo's actual chart but I do recall reading something about premium prices for them -- even if not on the level of those for Red State. Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

I must be in a minority for them then, I thought it was great. Maybe it was the lack of Mewes.....

Haha, maybe. That's just my personal observation, I'm sure some of the fans enjoyed it. I personally was very disappointed in it. Preferred Zack & Miri by far. Maybe even Jersey Girl. :lol:

Oh come on, not Jersey Girl. I'm always in a minorty for the Askewniverse, my favourite films are Clerks II and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Well I'm partial to the one in my avatar that featured the original Loki. :D