Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Estimates (9/14 - 9/16/12) - PAGE 21 - (RE5 $21.1m, Nemo $17.5m, Master $730k!)

• Founder / Operator

Of course TLK may have had time on its side too. It was what 17 years, Nemo's not even 10 years old, until next year.

True, although time didn't help Beauty and the Beast, heh.

Any numbers from Disney on how TA did in dollar theaters?

Nope, sorry. It looks like it finally fell off Disney's radar for Saturday estimates.

I never expected much from them TBH. Next week is the decider for me.

Yea, I was optimistic about Nemo but its lower opening isn't necessarily a shocker (although a bit surprising if it does finish under Beauty). Next weekend looks iffy to me but there's a lot of hope out there about Curve and House -- slowly becoming more about the former.Curious to see what happens with Taken 2, though. Marketing seems to slow to start.

Remember what helped TLK was that, it hadn't been in Market for years while Nemo didn't have the same advantage. Demand was built over time for TLK. I'm definitely interested in how Aladdin will do, if Disney ever re-releases it in 3D.

Aladdin's Blu-Ray rerelease is due for Spring 2013, think Disney should hold it back a year and rerelease it in cinemas in 3D in January 2014. The Pixar films are more widely available unlike the Disney animated films.

True, although time didn't help Beauty and the Beast, heh.Nope, sorry. It looks like it finally fell off Disney's radar for Saturday estimates.Yea, I was optimistic about Nemo but its lower opening isn't necessarily a shocker (although a bit surprising if it does finish under Beauty). Next weekend looks iffy to me but there's a lot of hope out there about Curve and House -- slowly becoming more about the former.Curious to see what happens with Taken 2, though. Marketing seems to slow to start.

Why's the hope with Curve and House? Is it because of the obvious Oscar-baiting Moneyball-rip off and because Lawrence is now a megastar? I'd think the two movies with surprisingly great reviews have a lot more potential. I don't see Curve getting phenomenal reviews and House is bound to suck.

Remember what helped TLK was that, it hadn't been in Market for years while Nemo didn't have the same advantage. Demand was built over time for TLK. I'm definitely interested in how Aladdin will do, if Disney ever re-releases it in 3D.

Yeah Alladin is almost forgotten, I haven't seen it in video stores or played in Disney Channel. And it's not like the movie was like Hunchback of Notre Dame in terms of impact, that movie was so popular during its time. A Whole New World is I believe one of the most popular songs from that came from the Disney 90s renaissance

Dredd? Trouble With The Curve? End of Watch? House at the End of the Street? Give me a break.

Dredd's reviews have given a lot of hope to it, TWTC has Eastwood back and House has Lawrence, basically just off THG. The weekend also, quite honestly, is more refreshing than the fifth in a franchise and a 3D rerelease of a nine year old film.

Tracking was part of the problem. I guess, MTC is just having a bad year.

True, but the rule has been spotty, and it would have pointed to a 35m+ opening for Nemo/RE, which, despite the quiet market, never seemed possible in the slightest. I'd think there had to be some inclination beforehand of where a movie would go, then again, the many times the rule worked didn't necessarily adhere to my guide. Still, this time it really didn't seem wise.

Aladdin's Blu-Ray rerelease is due for Spring 2013, think Disney should hold it back a year and rerelease it in cinemas in 3D in January 2014. The Pixar films are more widely available unlike the Disney animated films.

Interesting, I didn't know Aladdin was coming out so soon on B/R. I hope they re-release it in 3D because it's my favorite Disney classic. :) :) :)On an another note: I'm on 999 likes. :lol:

• Founder / Operator

Why's the hope with Curve and House? Is it because of the obvious Oscar-baiting Moneyball-rip off and because Lawrence is now a megastar?I'd think the two movies with surprisingly great reviews have a lot more potential. I don't see Curve getting phenomenal reviews and House is bound to suck.

Mainly because the two movies getting good reviews are smaller profile releases with less apparent interest in them. Curve doesn't have many reviews out and aims to be more of a crowd-pleaser than a critic-pleaser. House is just hoping to sell teens and young adults who like Lawrence -- although its release delays have me concerned, personally. The marketing isn't that impressive either but these horror flicks sometimes aren't and still manage to do well somehow.I personally think anything can happen next weekend, but one of the few things I feel confident about right now is that good reviews will be mostly meaningless for Dredd and End of Watch in terms of their opening weekend. They'll battle each other for the lowest of the four openers. Curve and House could end up close, but we'll see. I'm apprehensive with baseball movies but I'm also not sure House is being sold very well. Edited by ShawnMR

I'm curious if Clint Eastwood's "Obama chair" incident will affect the box office performance of Trouble with a Curve

It might help actually. I'm pretty sure among conservatives it was well received, so those who may not have been interested might turn up. It may have raised his profile in general.