CJohn

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | 1/27/17 | Trailer on Page 10

22 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, if this gross confirms itself(even the 150-175Mil above) the "Final" has just been taken off from the title. No way they let this one go if it grosses that much.

They might as well cancel the DOM release, tho.

13 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

That gross alone would cover the budget. 

Yep. 160 mill will cover the budget.

Im guessing this has a 60 mill P&A WW so it looks like they will be in black in theaters alone..

It this explodes in China like it looks to do and gross 175 mill with good WOM its possible that a sequel could gross 250 mill+ in 3 years

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They might as well cancel the DOM release, tho.

Nah, that's just a bonus lol

Keep domestic marketing to a minimum beyond target advertising on the internet, like small horror movies do, and focus on OS marketing. The core fan-base will show up domestically even with weak marketing and at least 25mil will be made. Pure profit there.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

someone on the international board said this is on track for a 200m gross in China. Holy hell!

It was me. People on China area are predicting a $90m OW and a $200m total. I'm speechless at these results, considering that the last one made $17m there. I have no idea how this movie managed to explode in such a big way there.

Resident Evil has potential but they should completely change the orientation like they did with RE7 the videogame : something darker, more focused on horror, something more serious and ambitious, I'm sure it would be more successful outside of China that way.

2 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Yep. 160 mill will cover the budget.

Im guessing this has a 60 mill P&A WW so it looks like they will be in black in theaters alone..

It this explodes in China like it looks to do and gross 175 mill with good WOM its possible that a sequel could gross 250 mill+ in 3 years

They are probably close to but not turning in the black from theaters alone.

Sony do not distribute in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, but take care of the rest of the world, so with that in mind (that number is bit smaller than the actual number), the P&A Sony paid on the last one was:

33.58 domestic and 39.37 intl, for a total of 72.95 million.

On afterlife the P&A was:

34.07 domestic and 35.19 intl for a total of 69.26 million

Afterlife had a small 53.6 million net budget, made 300 million a the world box office and didn't turn in to black from theater alone, that is something really exceptional to do.

If Final Chapter do 160 mil in China, 28.5 domestic, and 140 oversea (outside China and without taking time to remove non-Sony market) it would gross around

160*.25 + 28.5 * .53 + 140 * .4 = 111.1 million

Remove a 70-75 million world P&A, some 3-4 million in overhead and the participation bonus that started to kick in a good while ago and I'm not sure it turn in the black, but it is certainly overperforming by a good amount, what is particularly good (outside the good cost control) is that the franchise is strong in Japan and that is one of the best market for Sony (in term of BO return, it is about 50% like domestic and I would imagine they have a good after theater market there)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

They are probably close to but not turning in the black from theaters alone.

Sony do not distribute in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, but take care of the rest of the world, so with that in mind (that number is bit smaller than the actual number), the P&A Sony paid on the last one was:

33.58 domestic and 39.37 intl, for a total of 72.95 million.

On afterlife the P&A was:

34.07 domestic and 35.19 intl for a total of 69.26 million

Afterlife had a small 53.6 million net budget, made 300 million a the world box office and didn't turn in to black from theater alone, that is something really exceptional to do.

If Final Chapter do 160 mil in China, 28.5 domestic, and 140 oversea (outside China and without taking time to remove non-Sony market) it would gross around

160*.25 + 28.5 * .53 + 140 * .4 = 111.1 million

Remove a 70-75 million world P&A, some 3-4 million in overhead and the participation bonus that started to kick in a good while ago and I'm not sure it turn in the black, but it is certainly overperforming by a good amount, what is particularly good (outside the good cost control) is that the franchise is strong in Japan and that is one of the best market for Sony (in term of BO return, it is about 50% like domestic and I would imagine they have a good after theater market there)

I agree with you numbers. It just sounds insane that a movie like this does 8-9 times PB in theaters and still don't break even..

But Sony should make 100 mill+ after theaters and looks like a company that can't afford to let this franchise die

I was just checking the DOM and WW numbers for this yesterday and thinking it was doing pretty badly compared with the previous entries...and now we have this China surprise.

However, I still think the future of the series goes through a reboot closer to the videogames (outside of 4-5-6). Keep the power of the brand, but gain back the public.

9 hours ago, fmpro said:

I agree with you numbers. It just sounds insane that a movie like this does 8-9 times PB in theaters and still don't break even..

But Sony should make 100 mill+ after theaters and looks like a company that can't afford to let this franchise die

If it had a normal domestic/intl performance it would be a really different story, but when you have a massive part of the BO from China (25%) it change the result quite a bit, China is a good market because it cost nothing to release there, studio under the 25% deal spend on the release about what they spend in Belgium it look like, so it is a really good deal when you do little, but when you break out you would have prefered a larger part of the BO.

As for doing over 100 million in profit, that would be exceptional, it is not something studio often do (well without considering the effect of the video game franchise sells)

Resident Evils Sony profit

2007- Extinction: 44.45 million (148.4 WW box office on a 40.54 million budget)

2010- After life: 62.28 million (300.2 WW box office on a 53.6 million budget)

2012- Retribution: 10.35 million (240.0 WW box office on a 75.44 million budget)

2016- Say a bit over 300 million (but China heavy) on a we will never know the budget on that one.

Getting close to After life profit would be excellent, (but that one was the biggest domestic of that series when the DVD bubble was not totally busted yet, so it would not be easy to do what it did).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1