John Marston

Jurassic Park or Avatar?

I understand you're issues with The Lost World and though it's flaws are undeniable, those roller-coaster moments really do pack a hell of a punch. Also in regards to characters, Pete Poselthwaite provides one of the very best performances the series has seen with the Alpha hunter, Tembo. He makes such an impact in the role that part of me wished he was the protagonist.  Not that I don't like Jeff Goldblum's portrayal of Ian Malcom. He's a different man from the one that walked Isla Nublar but an easy character to like. He's been here, he's done this and he knows how this story ends. I sometimes hear people have a hard time with Goldblum in the film but I feel the character is executed perfectly and I'm on his side throughout.

It's a flawed mess of a film, but when it is at it's best The Lost World provides some of the genre's best moments. It's the Rain Man brother to Jurassic Park that is sometimes a babbling mess but is known to have moments of sheer genius. 

• Like 2

I don't think we are in disagreement at all here :P

I just wish the protagonists were not so...stupid. Taking a baby t-rex back to the trailer....what could possibly go wrong! Taking the bullets out of weapons on a dinosaur infested island....what could possibly go wrong!

There are some mighty fine individual scenes however :)

• Like 1

If I told you, that was in Avatar first drafts but Cameron dropped it because there were too many storylines to stuff into 2h30. There were also some reporter storyline in the draft explaining there was controversy and polemical stuff around the Avatar program and one scientific character suffering from a post-traumatic syndrome after being killed while his mind was controlling an Avatar body. Also dropped.

Just like Spielberg dropped down material from Crichton's book to achieve a more straight-forward and simple story.

So I don't know why you praise Spielberg for dropping entire parts that would add more layers but didn't feel the need to and you blame Cameron for doing so. Just arbitrary opinion.

Edited by dashrendar44

Because Avatar keeps that message in its film without having the depth to pull it off.

Jurassic Park more or less abandons its message. 

Call it what you want, but there is a clear divide there. Clearly you don't agree with my first assertion. Fair enough, but there is reasoning behind my opinion.

LOL. So you people don't like when white man saves people.

Yes, why can not a native rise against America and beat America. It had to be a White American. How fucking stupid is that, the blue aliens should just raised up in there own and won.
  • Like 1

Yes, why can not a native rise against America and beat America. It had to be a White American. How fucking stupid is that, the blue aliens should just raised up in there own and won.

I agree, but to me its more like "how many times do we gotta revisit this cliche/native American history trope?" 

"Oh wait, shit, we didn't tell this story in space or in a science fiction movie yet.  Lets do that do that and make the movie really pretty and throw some more action in there!"

So for you, Jake Sully will never be part of the tribe because he's born white even if he got the body and appearance of a blue Na'vi. He got a "white" mind. So you don't accept people could be accepted in another community or be given another nationality just because of the color of their skin. Interesting...

Why can't Natives rise up and beat white America? They tried but white people beat them.

Edited by dashrendar44

So for you, Jake Sully will never be part of the tribe because he's born white even if he got the body and appearance of a Na'vi. He got a "white" mind. So you don't accept people could be accepted in another community or be given another nationality just because of the color of their skin.

Jake should never have been a character. Have the female alien leader her people to victory.Avatar seemed like it was saying only a white American save them blue aliens. Before him they did not how to fight back. Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

Oh people could certainly be accepted by a different culture. Thats not what we are saying Mr Dash. To be accepted into a foreign culture so quickly, to rise through the ranks of that culture so quickly, to be able to do things that are specific to that culture that only very few of them have ever achieved....so quickly, to become an effective and passionate leader so quickly....

No.

• Like 1

No one saw that problem when Dunbar was accepted as Dance With Wolves in Sioux tribe. But in a scifi movie with blue people, that's not realistic, bitch please... :rolleyes:

Jake Sully is a warrior that wants to learn quickly the blue culture mannerisms. It seems that blue alien culture values men of strength and honor. Don't seem so outlandish for me that a former Marine can become a war leader. I mean it's just John Carter Of Pandora. John Carter learns to speak martian in one night FFS.

Edited by dashrendar44

Says James Cameron, he could have written that natives won.

And Avatar haters to say it's revisionist american history white guilt whatever liberal agenda. :lol:

No, whatever Cameron would have written, they'd be raging.

Edited by dashrendar44

Lol I love how you use the work fail and Avatar in the same sentence.

I don't hate Avatar, its just mediocre in my eyes. And while I could write an essay on why District 9 succeeds where Avatar fails. I'll settle for a short paragraph and 2 pictures (aka 2 thousands words write there)

Posted Image

vs

Posted Image

Which script do you think has to work harder to get us to emphasise with the aliens? The script where the aliens are all beautiful and perfect looking or the script where the aliens look hideous and disgusting to our eyes? District 9 succeeds compared to Avatar, imo, because it's script is much much richer.

Lol I love how you use the words fail and Avatar in the same sentence. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1