Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Warners was bleeding money before Zaslav was hired. He was ,in fact, hired largely to stop the bleeding.

I am not trying to defend Zaslve, who is a doing a lousy job of Damage Control, but blaming him for all of Warner's problems is just ignorant and stupid.

And if he is removed,the new guy will probably take a lot heat because he will to make decisions that a lot of people won't like. They might make more sense then the decisions that Zaslev is making, though.

I’m not sure why you keep repeating the same thing over and over again, but to the best of my knowledge, AT&T were the ones in debt, and Discovery absorbed about a third of that debt when they agreed to buy Warner Brothers. Furthermore, going by how much WB’s stock has dropped over the past several weeks, it doesn’t seem like Zaslav is off to a very good start. 

"whoever was going to be in charge was going to have to make cuts" yeah, we know. Those cuts usually aren't "umm all the people of color and all the diverse projects". People wouldn't be railing on him if he was cancelling the hundreds of reality shows.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Is WBD really in financial trouble, or are people just overreacting from the budget cuts and the fall in the stock price?

The debt problem is the reason for the budget cuts and fall in stock prices.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, El Squibbonator said:

Just to clarify, the Batman: Caped Crusader cartoon has not been cancelled. It was planned for a simultaneous release on HBO Max and Cartoon Network, and will still be airing on the latter as part of its ACME Night block. But it will not be streaming on HBO Max; the company is instead shopping it out to other streaming services. 

Will it?  I'd like verified evidence of that.  That would surely decrease the value for any other streamer considering a purchase.  

Edited by Macleod

40 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

50b+ debt

And they have to pay interest on that debt..............

ANybody who thinks that WB is not in deep,deep finiancial kimchee has not been paying attention, 

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I was surprised at first to see how well Sony is apparently doing, but then I remembered that they have other things going for them besides their film division. 

SONY is still primrily a electronics company, electorinics reamains their main product. The Film Division is secondary.

Which is why a couple of years ago when SONY overall was having problems apparently serious consideration was given to selling off Columbia pictures.

Interview from a couple of weeks ago with Dan Lin:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ankler-hot-seat/id1603732137?i=1000575151553

Around the 45 minute mark he says that DC is the one that got away (was set to work on the George Miller Justice League film)

and he made Lego Batman as his kind of way to get into DC at the time. Also probably pissed the Snyder fans off by calling them bots lol. He only talks about it for about a minute but at least he is passionate about DC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Interview from a couple of weeks ago with Dan Lin:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ankler-hot-seat/id1603732137?i=1000575151553

Around the 45 minute mark he says that DC is the one that got away (was set to work on the George Miller Justice League film)

and he made Lego Batman as his kind of way to get into DC at the time. Also probably pissed the Snyder fans off by calling them bots lol. He only talks about it for about a minute but at least he is passionate about DC.

Seems like a decent choice, let’s see what happens.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Also probably pissed the Snyder fans off by calling them bots lol. He only talks about it for about a minute but at least he is passionate about DC.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

This energy. I like this energy.

Edited by AJG
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

Is WBD really in financial trouble, or are people just overreacting from the budget cuts and the fall in the stock price?

They are highly levered, but the extent of their financial troubles is wildly overstated. Slightly more than a billion is due in the next 12 months. WBD has over $2.5B of cash on hand and just last quarter was able to drive ~$800M of free cash flow (which should only improve as time goes on) and last quarter repaid $3.5B of long term debt. I'm not saying they are in good financial shape but the idea that they have some sort of cash crunch coming up soon or that they don't have enough money to release a movie like Shazam 2 in December has no basis in reality.

• Like 5