Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, the money involved here is petty cash fund stuff.

Marketing is an essential expense for a studio.

But I see you have developoed a hatred for WB.

What are you even talking about? Marketing is essential, but marketing at the Super Bowl is extremely expensive. The point here is that if WB is bleeding so much money that they can hardly afford to advertise their movies, then why would they attach a trailer to the Super Bowl of all things?

• Like 1

Yeah, the Superbowl spot is definitely a confident, all-in kind of move. Given how frugal WB has had to be, given how easily they've been able to discard several projects that they had already invested in, this says a lot about the film and its prospects. It's always possible this will be a major miscalculation by Zaslav but I'm leaning towards believing they really have something here, despite of the current state of things with DC.

I really believe that this movie will tie in to the actual real life reboot they're doing. It would make a lot of sense as to why it's getting so much TLC compared to, say, the new Shazam. Jury is out on Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 as to how WB treats those.

• Like 1

I can't imagine being a creative and watching my shows get taken off HBO to save a few dollars. My films not even getting released because of a tax right off and so on. Then watching Warner go all in to market the Flash in the most loud and expensive way to make those same creatives realize where they stand. 

2 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I can't imagine being a creative and watching my shows get taken off HBO to save a few dollars. My films not even getting released because of a tax right off and so on. Then watching Warner go all in to market the Flash in the most loud and expensive way to make those same creatives realize where they stand. 

Starz has done exactly the same things with three cancelled shows and yet no one is batting an eyelid. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Starz has done exactly the same things with three cancelled shows and yet no one is batting an eyelid. 

I am not talking about cancelling shows. That's a normal thing. I am talking episodes and shows being permanently taken from HBO Max and some cant be found anywhere. Movies being finished and not released. Anyway I don't want to regurgitate all the things that have transpired. But the optics look pretty rough to back the Flash and Ezra to the hilt with money and resources when just about everything else is getting cut back.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

or it’s true and James Gunn can’t say it yet since the time is not right 

Being true is not the goal here. Getting reactions and engagement is. Gunn cant help himself and really should not bother but he does. The trades are mostly just taking stabs in the dark and seeing if anything comes of it. It is definitely working for them to generate content and discussion and remain relevant. 

3 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Being true is not the goal here. Getting reactions and engagement is. Gunn cant help himself and really should not bother but he does. The trades are mostly just taking stabs in the dark and seeing if anything comes of it. It is definitely working for them to generate content and discussion and remain relevant. 

He should really just announce their slate already if it’s ready to be announced, or just those first few projects. But honestly the trades are turning into lame blog sites just grasping at anything now. It’s kinda sad tbh. It’s pretty obvious no one really knows anything. But I guess it’s all about clicks so they’re doing what they have to do. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

or it’s true and James Gunn can’t say it yet since the time is not right 

If it were true, I’m pretty sure he could simply…not respond at all. Saying that Wonder Woman is part of their plans would be a pretty egregious thing to lie about. 

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Johnson never had a chance of becoming the Big Power at DC. 

Ehhh. Black Adam's $67m opening weekend is 2x as much as it would have been with anyone else. Had the film has better word of mouth and box office legs, I bet this turns out differently. 

It's all buzz and assumption lately with the trades (except for Borys Kit at THR, who seems to have the only genuine connection to studio/Gunn insiders).  On Wonder Woman, my guess is that someone misinterpreted "No plans for WW3 in the near future since Jenkins walked" as "No plans for Wonder Woman" which...if you listened to Zaslav's statements last year and of course Gunn... does not match up with their priorities whatsoever (which is focusing on the "big three"). 

I expect Gunn/Safran to formally announce some plans as early as next week, but definitely sometime this month.  They won't be able to keep things really quiet much longer. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

I don't get it. What's with all the negative leaks by WB about the Rock lately? The Higher ups knows Dwayne will not be returning to DC Cinematic Universe. Why do they insist on leaving such a bad after-smell? I can't imagine it would help them attract talent, but they probably don't care for that at the moment given their precarious financial state. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I don't get it. What's with all the negative leaks by WB about the Rock lately? The Higher ups knows Dwayne will not be returning to DC Cinematic Universe. Why do they insist on leaving such a bad after-smell? I can't imagine it would help them attract talent, but they probably don't care for that at the moment given their precarious financial state. 

WB is pissed they caved to his Cavill demands and now have to deal with tons of pissed off fans. It isn't a stretch to say Johnson went way too far with his public claims of future films. 

Can WB just announce Elordi as Supes and break the internet for gen z already? what are they waiting for?

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:42 AM, cax16 said:

He should really just announce their slate already if it’s ready to be announced, or just those first few projects. But honestly the trades are turning into lame blog sites just grasping at anything now. It’s kinda sad tbh. It’s pretty obvious no one really knows anything. But I guess it’s all about clicks so they’re doing what they have to do. 

That's exactly what he said. He stated that the DC movies should span 8 to 10 years, but he'll just announce a few projects this month.