Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t imagine that people will be willing to sit through a story they’ve already seen before, which spans eight films that are based on seven books, retold with new actors. That’s like remaking the original Star Wars trilogy, but even more tedious. 

Exactly. This isn't like rebooting a superhero property where you can tell new stories with new versions of the characters. Unless a reboot means telling a whole new story in the wizarding world... But then we come right back to, why not just add to the existing universe with new characters and places?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I'd rather see a HP series and have those scenes that we missed in the movies tackled.

For the movies, it should be a new story. Capitalize on the other wizarding schools. The international appeal will greatly help its box office.

I don't what the worldwide appeal to what you are proposing.

I would rather see JK continue the story into the future many years after the events of Deathly Hallows. Of course scrap The Cursed Child that is fanfiction and advance the story forward.

I think she would want to do that, to avoid someone else doing it in the future. That's what Robert Meyer Burnett said on John Campea podcast and it makes sense.

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

I would rather see JK continue the story into the future many years after the events of Deathly Hallows. Of course scrap The Cursed Child that is fanfiction and advance the story forward.

I think she would want to do that, to avoid someone else doing it in the future. That's what Robert Meyer Burnett said on John Campea podcast and it makes sense.

That is fine. They could do that or just like what I said, expand the universe. I just think it's also a good idea to explore more and not just get stuck at Hogwarts.

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

Unless her children give up her rights after she dies then I imagine it's unlikely anyone else could have a crack at it. I don't think it's another Matrix situation.

12 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Of course they don’t have to. The problem is that bringing them back would be infinitely more commercially viable than pushing the reset button and bringing in  new actors as these characters, so you can retell the same stories that people have already seen. 

it would but if they refuse, which is not unlikely, a reboot is the next best option for WB. Hell even if they come back, a Cursed Child movie would be a tough proposition. 

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it would but if they refuse, which is not unlikely, a reboot is the next best option for WB. Hell even if they come back, a Cursed Child movie would be a tough proposition. 

I think even doing a movie focusing on Jude Law’s Dumbeldore, without all the Fantastic Beasts nonsense, would be preferable to a reboot. 

Edited by WittyUsername

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I think even doing a movie focusing on Jude Law’s Dumbeldore, without all the Fantastic Beasts nonsense, would be preferable to a reboot. 

I think the opposite. I think it's time for HP content to do something beyond simply "here's more Hogwarts related stuff" and the first FB at least made an attempt to go beyond that one part of the world we already know about and it's the most successful of the ones we got thus far. 

I think digging in their heels into already established potter lore is the wrong way to go. They need to think about grabbing some new demographics instead of servicing the ones already locked into that world. The fantasy genre is lacking at the moment so this would be a good time for WB to spice things up with the Wizarding World and get it back on track. 

Edited by clockwork

17 hours ago, Verrows said:

Exactly. This isn't like rebooting a superhero property where you can tell new stories with new versions of the characters. Unless a reboot means telling a whole new story in the wizarding world... But then we come right back to, why not just add to the existing universe with new characters and places?

Trick is coming up with charecters and places that are as good as those in the original novels. It is not that easy, as what happened with FB shows.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, clockwork said:

I think the opposite. I think it's time for HP content to do something beyond simply "here's more Hogwarts related stuff" and the first FB at least made an attempt to go beyond that one part of the world we already know about and it's the most successful of the ones we got thus far. 

I think digging in their heels into already established potter lore is the wrong way to go. They need to think about grabbing some new demographics instead of servicing the ones already locked into that world. The fantasy genre is lacking at the moment so this would be a good time for WB to spice things up with the Wizarding World and get it back on track. 

Problem is the classic Wizarding World is what people love. go too far away from it, and you will lose your audience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

I think the general concept of a Fantastic Beasts film series was a cute idea, but Rowling ruined it when she insisted on making it some five part prequel series about the conflict between Dumbeldore and Grindelwald, and the prelude to the Wizarding War. 

Mind you, I’m not necessarily saying that I think a movie focusing solely on Jude Law’s Dumbeldore is a great idea, but it would be far less stupid than a reboot that adapts the seven Harry Potter books again.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-2022-marketshare-disney-universal-marvel-1235208981/

WARNER BROS.

2022 domestic box office $935.9M, +41% from 2021 (13% marketshare): Six No. 1 openings in The Batman ($134M), Fantastic Beasts: Secrets of Dumbledore ($42.1M), Elvis ($31.2M), DC League of Super-Pets ($23M), Don’t Worry Darling ($19.3M) and Black Adam ($67M).

What they did: Returned to theatrical after former WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar’s grand HBO Max theatrical day-and-date faulty experiment and excelled. The Batman was WB’s first big tentpole of the year post-experiment, making $369.3M. Adults came back with Elvis, the highest-grossing original title of the year with $151M. Say what you will about Black Adam, but it was Dwayne Johnson’s biggest live-action opening as a solo star, and it provided a lot of bucks to the fall box office before Black Panther: Wakanda Forever arrived.   

What they need to do: Continue to bet on original movies like Elvis and Don’t Worry Darling and provide great creative reign to Mike de Luca and Pam Abdy as chairpeople of Warner Bros Entertainment — the studio having the second-best IP in town. How des ir go forward and exploit other franchises like Bugs Bunny? The studio needs a new head of animation, stat. Warner Discovery CEO David Zaslav needs to realize you can’t cut your way to profitability and sometimes you have to make bold moves. In the wake of Batgirl‘s cancellation, Henry Cavill’s dismissal from Man of Steel and the upset from Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman 3, the rebuilding of talent relations and the town’s faith in that is key for the studio. Remember the legacy of those who came before you: Former TimeWarner CEO Steve Ross and Warner Bros co-chair and co-CEO Terry Semel and Bob Daly believed in spending money on talent and supporting them through long-term relationships. If something failed, they didn’t walk away from them. They were selective about it. Figure out (I’m sure we’ll know sooner than later) the connection between the rest of the DC Snyderverse, Reeves’ next Batman, and Todd Phillips’ ‘ next Joker with James Gunn and Peter Safran’s new DCverse. The rumored shoots of Cavill, Gadot for The Flash endings has many wondering.

2023 outlook: The balance of former DC chief Walter Hamada’s titles in Shazam: Fury of the Gods (March 17), The Flash (June 16), Blue Beetle (August 18) and Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom (December 25). More tentpoles in Barbie (July 21), The Meg 2 (August 4), The Nun 2 (September 8), Dune 2 (November 3), Wonka (December 15), The Color Purple (December 20). Feels easily like a billion-plus year stateside.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

pr nightmare incoming

Not exactly surprising. Zachary Levi is like a less successful Chris Pratt. Really, a celebrity deciding to pal around with Joe Rogan is a red flag in general. Rogan sounds like he was trying to restrain himself from completely going off about trans people.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

Zaslav watching each DC star being like... 

"I have the button...one push of this button, your movie goes to HBOMax...or whatever we're calling it in the Spring!" 

"...Or into the vaults." 

"...And you don't come back." 

Al Pacino Waiting GIF

Edited by Macleod