Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Question is will the increase in stock prices make more then the additional cost in overhead, since you have to hire more admin people if you break up the operations.

Seems to be going in the oppostie direction form the standard "Company in trouble" playbook, where you try to eliminate overhead expenses by combining seperate operations when possible.

It would lower overhead tho as the linear standalone company would be under different owners. Not to mentioned the streaming and movie business would get rid of the heavy debt burden it is currently in, creating even more savings

Edited by HowSway

5 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Give me a C. Give me an A. Give me a B. Give me an L. Give me an E.

What's that spell?

Except you can see any show when you want with streaming.

Edited by Kon

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m sorry, but didn’t Zaslav state a while back that WBD doesn’t need the NBA? 

And I suspect his suit will be laughed out of court anyway.

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

And I suspect his suit will be laughed out of court anyway.

Nah they had a matching rights clause in their contract, so they do have some standing. Probably ends with the NBA giving them some cash to end the suit

Edited by HowSway

So there's something that really confuses me about the idea of WB selling off its cable networks. If they did that, what would happen to the IP of those networks, which would still be owned by Warner Bros. itself?

For example, Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon Network Studios both currently exist in name only, since they're now subsidiaries of Warner Bros. Animation. Hanna-Barbera was absorbed into Warner Bros. Animation in 2001, and the same thing happened to Cartoon Network Studios in 2023. Warner Bros. Animation is part of the company's "core" brand, and makes theatrical and streaming works as well as shows for legacy TV. Therefore, it can't be sold off, because it's part of the company's core identity.

If the legacy TV networks were sold off, the rights to the actual shows on those networks would still be owned by Warner Bros itself. The only way to make that work would be if the legacy networks paid a licensing fee to keep using the shows they no longer owned outright. And that can be done-- Disney pays a fee to Sony to use Spider-Man in the MCU, for example-- but it's hard to imagine a company's entire business model depending on this.

In other words, if the cable networks were sold off, would they still be able to use IP owned by Warner Bros. itself? Would characters like the Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, and Batman be off-limits?

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

So there's something that really confuses me about the idea of WB selling off its cable networks. If they did that, what would happen to the IP of those networks, which would still be owned by Warner Bros. itself?

For example, Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon Network Studios both currently exist in name only, since they're now subsidiaries of Warner Bros. Animation. Hanna-Barbera was absorbed into Warner Bros. Animation in 2001, and the same thing happened to Cartoon Network Studios in 2023. Warner Bros. Animation is part of the company's "core" brand, and makes theatrical and streaming works as well as shows for legacy TV. Therefore, it can't be sold off, because it's part of the company's core identity.

If the legacy TV networks were sold off, the rights to the actual shows on those networks would still be owned by Warner Bros itself. The only way to make that work would be if the legacy networks paid a licensing fee to keep using the shows they no longer owned outright. And that can be done-- Disney pays a fee to Sony to use Spider-Man in the MCU, for example-- but it's hard to imagine a company's entire business model depending on this.

In other words, if the cable networks were sold off, would they still be able to use IP owned by Warner Bros. itself? Would characters like the Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, and Batman be off-limits?

Unless specfically included in the deal, the IP's remain with the parent company. The deal might well include the right of the sold cable networks to continue to show the Looney Tunes, etc but the basic right to the charectes would remain with the company owning the IPs. Same as how Marvel sold the movie rights for Spidey and X men to Sony and Fox, but retained all other rightsm and the rights could be returned to Marvel under certian circumstances. 

Warners is not about to sell of the IP's for DC, etch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Human said:

There is mo way they make that big an oversight to lose either Batman or Scooby-Doo.

And the Lawyers WB pays to write the contracts would not make that stupid a mistake, not with what Warners pays them.

Hell, someone fresh out of law school would not make that kind of mistake.

• Like 1

WB needs to get it together and make Harry Potter 9. Get someone to write a solid script, pay the actors obscene amounts of money to return. The last Hp movie adjusts to close to 1.8b WW. But they’ll likely wait until after the HBO show. If that’s done right, then sky’s the limit for a sequel.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah Warner Bros Discovery is going to go bankrupt pretty soon. It just looks really bad.

WB will go down in history as the studio with the biggest franchise fuck up of all time, the DCEU. Mismanagement doomed the DC universe from ever competing with Marvel.