Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

Sure, Denis, Sure.

MPC

Double Negative

Framestore 

3 of the biggest VFX companies in the world, work on your movie.

The CGI centric kind that make all of those beautiful blockbusters the masses flock to.

:D:lol:

Oops , Forgot Atomic Fiction.

That s 4 !

@Jay Hollywood

MPC & Double Negative have worked with Zack Snyder on almost all his films.

@dashrendar44

George Miller is a CGI pioneer.

Babe Movies, Happy Feet.

He has been working a lot with the company that is making now the CGI Lego Movies : Animal Logic (both VFX and animation studio now, they did the Happy Feet, Babe Movies VFX, etc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Logic

Aaah, the CGI sucks, Practical Bitch ! train & posturing : 

jlaw-okay.gif

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

We need @Rey here to tell you people how extra you all are. Villeneuve is pandering to anyone but himself, he doesn't like green screens and that's all there is to it. How anyone sees that as some sort CGI hate crusade is mindbogglingly to me. Calling it a PR stunt is so bloody ridiculous.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, Elessar said:

Well, get ready to get depressed, then. Green screen is a very useful tool. All set extensions are basically green screen. You pretty much can't go without.

Unless he means there being only green screen and nothing else.

He hates it but still he wants to use CGI in some scenes, except he'd be using more practical effects. There's nothing to get depressed for anyone here. They all try to give the same thing "A better movie" for us so if they wanna use ALL CGI,ALL Practical or A mix for a that output so be it.

1 hour ago, Ash Skywalker said:

He hates it but still he wants to use CGI in some scenes, except he'd be using more practical effects. There's nothing to get depressed for anyone here. They all try to give the same thing "A better movie" for us so if they wanna use ALL CGI,ALL Practical or A mix for a that output so be it.

Villeneuve is sly in his wording but everybody in the VFX industry know that you can now fill up the screen with CG without a green screen in sight as long as you provide a blank plate (a minimal set indoor/outdoor or just an empty room) for tracking purpose. The VFX artists have compositing/tracking software (NUKE for exemple) featuring advanced mapping tools that scan the frame for XYZ coordinates using tracking points then can triangulate the geometry of the scene, mapping it virtually and seamlessly put CG objects into the mapped live-action environment.

(Check Sicario VFX reel)

So "No green screen" doesn't mean "No CGI". That line has been blurred and jumped over a while ago...

This is the guy whose last movie features a shot in which the characters radiation suits are full CGI instead of practical FFS! :rolleyes:

Before:

arrival-vfx-orangesuits-before.jpg

After:

arrival-vfx-orangesuits-after.jpg

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

You just can't beat that old school, practical look and feel. The overabundance and over-reliance on CGI hurts more than it helps, making movies appear videogame-y.

Are you really saying this practical effect:

406114_v1.jpg

is more realistic and better than these:

???

giphy.gif

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

This is the guy whose last movie features a shot in which the characters radiation suits are full CGI instead of practical FFS! :rolleyes:

Before:

After:

What the hell, I had no idea those suits were CGI. I'd never have guessed in  a million years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What the hell, I had no idea those suits were CGI. I'd never have guessed in  a million years.

That s the irony about the people who bitch about CGI circa 2017, they have no clue how far the technology has evolved and how lots of things you see are in fact CGI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

Villeneuve is sly in his wording but everybody in the VFX industry know that you can now fill up the screen with CG without a green screen in sight as long as you provide a blank plate (a minimal set indoor/outdoor or just an empty room) for tracking purpose. The VFX artists have compositing/tracking software (NUKE for exemple) featuring advanced mapping tools that scan the frame for XYZ coordinates using tracking points then can triangulate the geometry of the scene, mapping it virtually and seamlessly put CG objects into the mapped live-action environment.

(Check Sicario VFX reel)

So "No green screen" doesn't mean "No CGI". That line has been blurred and jumped over a while ago...

Before:

After:

I should have used the word Green screen instead of CGI..
I have some basic idea of this.
They could have gone with the suits but they would have thought that we are going CG for the surrounding/scene why not use that for suits. But seriously i never thought(would even think) that the suits were CG :lol:

17 hours ago, Goffe said:

We need @Rey here to tell you people how extra you all are. Villeneuve is pandering to anyone but himself, he doesn't like green screens and that's all there is to it. How anyone sees that as some sort CGI hate crusade is mindbogglingly to me. Calling it a PR stunt is so bloody ridiculous.

You called?

c3xL14e.gif