Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

150m sounded a lot but 200m for an R rated movie is nuts. I don't care if it turns out a great movie and I don't worry about Gosling, Villeneuve or Ford if this flops. They 'll be fine. But it's hard to believe that the buisness people greenlight this movie with such an insane budget.

11 minutes ago, Joel M said:

150m sounded a lot but 200m for an R rated movie is nuts. I don't care if it turns out a great movie and I don't worry about Gosling, Villeneuve or Ford if this flops. They 'll be fine. But it's hard to believe that the buisness people greenlight this movie with such an insane budget.

Terminator 2 & True Lies were the most expensive movies of their times.

Both Rated R.

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Terminator 2 & True Lies were the most expensive movies of their times.

Both Rated R.

But it made at least some sense back then for an R rated movie to be the most expensive of their time. R rated movies were huge in the 80s-90s. 

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

In the 90's most of the BO was made from R rating:

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/mpaa-ratings

It is early 2000's were it shifted to pg-13 (with Spiderman, Lords of the rings, Potters (PG), X-Men, well franchises)

Still not sure why this shift happened, especially when stuff like The Walking Dead is mainstream as fuck.

Just now, The Futurist said:

Still not sure why this shift happened, especially when stuff like The Walking Dead is mainstream as fuck.

I suspect that it is a bit circular, on a lot of those movie most of the audience tend to be adult anyway (X-men apocalypse first weekend was 78% 18 or over, so I imagine 80+% were 17 or over, Logan being R rated was not a risk at all)

Same for BvS (78% adult audience first weekend), Skyfall 75%, but they spend the giant budget only on those movie that will have that audience boost from family and kids and it became really hard to compete with 300 million dollars movie with a 200 million world release for the R-rated movie that were not getting comparable resource anymore.

Oh now people are complaining about the budget instead of being happy that they are willing to spend the big bucks. Sure, they could have done it for less but it would not have looked as good / have been less ambitious. Stop acting like an accountant.

In the long run, if it's good, i'm sure they'll get their money back. As for another sequel, be happy that we even got this one, i'd say.

• Like 5