Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

For all the criticism Disney gets, this might be the most unnecessary sequel of the year. Philip K. Dick didn't write a sequel to his novel.

But the criticism of Disney is that they're basically just cranking out more of the same. This -- for better or worse -- is gonna be entirely its own thing. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

But the criticism of Disney is that they're basically just cranking out more of the same. This -- for better or worse -- is gonna be entirely its own thing. 

You mean like the 56 890 remakes Hollwyood has produced since the 1930's ?

How vulgar and basic of them, you are quite right.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You mean like the 56 890 remakes Hollwyood has produced since the 1930's ?

How vulgar and basic of them, you are quite right.

Like those, but usually studios still made non franchise/remake movie from time to time, Disney was making 40+ movie a year not so long ago.

Now it is around 12, and getting close to 100% only franchise movie for the live action fiction.

I imagine a lot of other studio would be doing the same if they were owning and successfully monetizing them as Disney is doing thought, not much of a real issue, just a different product for different audience. And it is hard to blame them when pretty much live action wise they tried since the first Pirates of the Caribbean kind of failed, they were a bit pushed in that direction, a bit like letting go of 2D animation for 3D, they resisted for a long time but the audience clearly decided for them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm sorry, but I would much rather take an interesting, atmospheric sequel to an 80s film from one of the best directors of our time over a bland, cookie cutter remake of a 90s film from one of the most unoriginal studios of our time.

Hey, come on. Many of the best blockbusters of the past few years have come from them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Hey, come on. Many of the best blockbusters of the past few years have come from them.

Good and original is vastly different, Cinderella was really excellent for example. Very few will doubt Disney high level of execution on is unoriginal output, it is extremely well done.

That said, it still made Tomorrowland, Zootopia and some other original stuff, but the number live action wise is really going down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I suppose so, but that doesn't excuse a complete lack of originality in a majority of their films.  Not to mention, originality and quality are two different thing.

• Like 1

@That One Guy

Quality >>>>> originality.

You can have a movie that's socially progressive, that has an intriguing concept, but none of that matters if the movie is garbage. Something like Jupiter Ascending in theory is what everyone wants to see more of (until it turned out to be terrible), but IMO I'd rather see an unoriginal film that's damn good over a high-concept original that's dull and boring.

Edited by Eevin

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

You can have a movie that's socially progressive, that has an intriguing concept, but none of that matters if the movie is garbage. Something like Jupiter Ascending in theory is what everyone wants to see more of (until it turned out to be terrible), but IMO I'd rather see an unoriginal film that's damn good over a high-concept original that's dull and boring.

I mean yeah

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

@That One Guy

I'm sorry but I'd much rather take a million Jupiter Ascending's over one BATB any day of the week.  I'd take any original, high concept blockbusters being made over the same old films that get put out every 2 weeks or so.  It's getting old.  I want change in the industry.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm sorry but I'd much rather take a million Jupiter Ascending's over one BATB any day of the week.  I'd take any original, high concept blockbusters being made over the same old films that get put out every 2 weeks or so.  

The problem with this statement is that BatB isn't quality. Its just straight garbage. A well made live action BatB could've been awesome

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Even if we apply it to something good like Jungle Book, my statement still applies.

I can't agree with this. Originality is important (especially in blockbusters), but not at the cost of quality filmmaking. 

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I can't agree with this. Originality is important (especially in blockbusters), but not at the cost of quality filmmaking. 

Obviously it demands on how people define "quality filmmaking", as opposed to perhaps "competent filmmaking".

Franchise blockbusters are basically the Olive Garden of movies. 

• Like 3