Gopher

Weekend Numbers (starts pg19) Taken2 22.5, Argo 20.2 mill

They never advertised its wide release. Summit screwed this one up big time, especially considering how well it did in 100-250 theaters.

The problem was, they ran a blitzkreig national advertising campaign when it was only in a handful of theaters, as if it was already in wide release. Essentially they wasted their money doing that because there was no point advertising it here and other suburban areas. Then in advance of it going wide this weekend, I saw zero advertising! It's complete incompetence.

The problem was, they ran a blitzkreig national advertising campaign when it was only in a handful of theaters, as if it was already in wide release. Essentially they wasted their money doing that because there was no point advertising it here and other suburban areas. Then in advance of it going wide this weekend, I saw zero advertising! It's complete incompetence.

I saw 1 or 2 commercials thats it

Are you joking? I didn't check the forum for a few hours and suddenly Sinister is first on Friday? What the actual fuck... That's a huge difference from what was first reported... Damn it, Argo...

I'm still unable to accept the fact that Perks will finish with $20m when it could have done at the very least triple that with proper advertisement.

Yeah, and the sadder part is the entertainment and film media will probably run with this as evidence of "Potter stars can't draw outisde Potter". You just know they won't be able to resist. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and the sadder part is the entertainment and film media will probably run with this as evidence of "Potter stars can't draw outisde Potter". You just know they won't be able to resist. :rolleyes:

I don't think so. It's a small film. Nobody was expecting a big hit here and the media isn't out to get her in the first place.Also, Woman in Black did really well ;)
  • Like 1

I just left my local theater after seeing Seven Psychopaths (20 people in attentdence) and the lobby/hallway was so busy, have not seen the theater that busy in awhile. Very good weekend for movie theaters, next week will only have PA...no one will see Alex Cross looks like crap. So next week will be PA4 and Leftovers

I don't think so. It's a small film. Nobody was expecting a big hit here and the media isn't out to get her in the first place.

Also, Woman in Black did really well ;)

Perks is underperforming because Summit dropped the ball on its release. Unlike Remember Me which bombed because people either don`t give a shit about R Pattz at all or don`t give a shit about him outside of Twilight. That movie was getting tons of EW, any teen mag, Perez Hilton,etc coverage. Perks didn`t. Big difference.

Alex Cross will be huge. Tyler Perry is a legend. 20M OW is happening. Mark my words.

TP is one of the most consistent boxoffices around yet is always omitted from conversations about who boxoffice draws are.

My 650 Argo showing is PACKED.

So was mine but mostly 60+ crowd. It`s definitely skewing older but oldies turned Slumdog into a blockbuster so fingers crossed they do the trick for Argo. Excellent movie. All hail BA. Edited by fishnets

I don't see what is so special about Hannibal Lector's performance. It's ridiculous the amount of praise that performance gets. It was fine, and Bardem's performance will probably be just as good. No big deal. I know loads of performances that were better than Hopkins'. Speaking in a slow tone and hissing though chipmunk teeth is now seen as the best acting ever. Hmm ok.

Fixed

Here’s the Top Ten based on Friday estimates. Fuller analysis coming:

1. Sinister (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [2,527 Runs] R

Friday $7.4M, Weekend $17.5M

2. Taken 2 (Fox) Week 2 [3,706 Runs] PG13

Friday $7.1M (-63%), Weekend $22.7M, Cume $87.0M

3. Argo (Warner Bros) NEW [3,232 Runs] R

Friday $5.8M, Weekend $18.0M

4. Hotel Transylvania (Sony Animation) Week 3 [3,375 Runs] PG

Friday $4.1M, Weekend $17.3M, Cume $102.3M

5. Here Comes The Boom (Sony) NEW [3,014 Runs] PG

Friday $3.6M, Weekend $11.9M