baumer

Weekend numbers Oct 19-21

PA2 vs PA3 debate - As the fan universe of franchises like this narrows, they have to make better movies or else fans keep dropping by the wayside. Both PA2 and PA3 may have gotten the same flixster score but PA3 needed a much better score to keep all the fans for the fourth part.

• Like 1

I don't think there's any way you can call any installment in this series a disappointment until it's OW doesn't match its budget. Even if this 'only' makes 30M, it easily surpasses its budget in 3 (3.5) days. Insane. This series has made 600m WW FFS. That's on what, a 50M budget total? Insane.

• Like 1

Just for the record, the budget for the entire series...all four films is about 85 mill now. This one should do 150 minimum WW, so that means they will have made 10X their total budget in 4 films. Yes, that is insane.

• Founder / Operator

It may not be a financial disappointment (especially with the international returns to come), but it definitely is the low note of the series so far when the audience is shrinking as much as it appears to be. And I can't speak toward this until I see it, but it seems quite a few people consider it a creative disappointment.

Edited by ShawnMR

I don't think there's any way you can call any installment in this series a disappointment until it's OW doesn't match its budget. Even if this 'only' makes 30M, it easily surpasses its budget in 3 (3.5) days. Insane. This series has made 600m WW FFS. That's on what, a 50M budget total? Insane.

I think their budget is more hype than real. Chernobyl Diaries supposedly had a very tiny budget but Hollywood Analysts SNL-Kagan called it a flop based on estmates that the movie's actual cost was $89 million when you factor in everything( Production, Worldwide distribution and marketing). For a movie like PA4 the actual cost must be closer to $150 million.

I think the whole found footage thing is getting old. I even think Chronicle (still a good movie) would have worked better as a traditional movie.

Yeah, when everyone in the city was filming them that was kinda ridiculous.Also, Kermode pointed out there's a scene where you don't see the camera in the mirror or something.

The last found footage movie (I havent seen REC) that worked for me was Cloverfield, but even that has the same problem as all ff-films: why dont you just put down that camera?

At least PA franchise attempts to get a little creative with it. Swivel-fan-cam, surveillance cams, in PA4 it looks like they use a Wii, etc