kayumanggi

2015 Discussion Thread: Universal wins the calendar year | SW: TFA - biggest film domestic, 3rd biggest film worldwide

I like how belligerent Filmbuff is even though he almost never understands what he's talking about

Yep, agreed.  Saying Avengers made more than E 1-3 is like saying The Hangover made more than Some Like It Hot.

If you give Revenge of the Sith a 20% boost for 3D, it comes in at about 570 mill in 2012 dollars.  That puts it very close to the Avengers.  The point is, both films are going to be massive (I think), I just think SW7 will be more massive.  

And either way Disney's gonna bank ~3B+ from these two movies :lol:

• Like 1

I think, it will open bigger like most CBM sequels of succesful first movies due to a rush factor on the  first weekend.  I don't see better legs though.

That's totally possible.  But imo, I think it will still fall short of 200OW.

My guess is it will not match the 200 mill OW of the last one.  Avengers had everything aligned perfectly for it.  There's just not much of a chance that happens again.  My guess, 11 months out, is that it opens to about 175-180.

If IM3 can open to 174M+ than TA:AoU will open above 200M.  ;)

• Like 2

If IM3 can open to 174M+ than TA:AoU will open above 200M.  ;)

Why though?  IM3 was one year after Avengers.  Now it goes to 3 years down the road.  I'm just saying that the novelty wears off eventually.  

If I'm wrong, so be it.  

• Like 1

Why though?  IM3 was one year after Avengers.  Now it goes to 3 years down the road.  I'm just saying that the novelty wears off eventually.  

If I'm wrong, so be it.  

If IM3 can have that type of anticipation considering it's not really the sequel to TA than what would the actual sequel will have. Also mid/previews will be massive for Age of Ultron compared to TA so I'm expecting 90M+ OD compared to 80M+ for TA. 

If IM3 can have that type of anticipation considering it's not really the sequel to TA than what would the actual sequel will have. Also mid/previews will be massive for Age of Ultron compared to TA so I'm expecting 90M+ OD compared to 80M+ for TA. 

Only 11 more months to see who's right.  :)

This place is gonna change in a major way when the Star Wars loonies start migrating over here next year

I'm not sure we're ready for it

This forum deserves a better class of fanboy. And we're going to give it to them.

• Like 5

Child 44  -  seriously whats happening with this movie?? Almost 9 months since the last day of filming and still no release date??  :unsure:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014763/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Most likely October release for US, but yeah no US release date locked in yet is kinda weird.

Edited by Ozymandias

• Founder / Operator

I want fucking proof of this. There is none.

There's obviously no official confirmation of this, but the proof is in the math. The average price of a ticket in 1999 was 43% lower than it was in 2012, and 3D prices weren't in the equation for the former either. When you figure that all up, TPM sold approximately 10% more tickets.

Obviously there's some margin for error, but 10% is fairly significant.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? TPM adjusts to 675m whereas TA only grossed 623m in comparison and this is without taking 3d into consideration which would arguably have boosted Avengers total by 15%. Avengers was also playing on almost 50% more screens than TPM.
  • Like 1

Well, according to BOM, Avengers sold 76 million tickets and TPM sold 84.  That's what we usually go by, so there's your proof.  Short of counting every ticket sold, all by yourself, this is all the proof you are going to get.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? TPM adjusts to 675m whereas TA only grossed 623m in comparison and this is without taking 3d into consideration which would arguably have boosted Avengers total by 15%. Avengers was also playing on almost 50% more screens than TPM.

Come on dude.  Don't use math and logic with drunkzilla.  Just be a belligerent bloke and use the occasional "fuck" every once in a while.  That's a better way to get your point across.  

• Like 2