kayumanggi

2015 Discussion Thread: Universal wins the calendar year | SW: TFA - biggest film domestic, 3rd biggest film worldwide

Star wars was never that big overseas, TA should win there.

You do realize that OS has exploded since RotS came out, right? Markets have expanded. China is now a player. Plus, we have 3D inflation. VII has a strong chance at doubling whatever RotS did OS. And, making nearly $500M OS back in 2005 was not small change.

• Like 3

You do realize that OS has exploded since RotS came out, right? Markets have expanded. China is now a player. Plus, we have 3D inflation. VII has a strong chance at doubling whatever RotS did OS. And, making nearly $500M OS back in 2005 was not small change.

It was small change even back then compared to HP and LOTR OS grosses. SW has always had a smaller OS percentage than other huge blockbusters . That could change with the ST, in the same way that superhero movies have finally caught on OS, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Just look at JJ's Trek movies. Despite expanded markets both films had a much lower OS gross than other action blockbusters. OS audiences just don't dig sci-fi as much as the US, unless it's mindless disaster movie spectacle like TF or a very simple and relatable story like Avatar.

• Like 1

I know but Star Wars was always outshined by some other film in the overseas market, with the exception of TPM, which kind of makes me think this new Star Wars has potential to beat TA 2 there as well.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Fox alien/UFO-themed lineup spanning Fall 2015 to Summer 2016 is kinda mad. They have SW7, Prometheus 2 & ID4 II in less than a year. SW7 is not an "alien/UFO" movie per se but it will populated strange creatures from all corners of the galaxy, just like Prometheus 2 where Noomi Rapace & Magneto will go & seek the Engineer's world. Will there be audience fatigue? One of these will tank.

• Like 1

It's possible that ROTS 5-day may have sold more tickets than Avenger's 5-day. I don't see VII matching that, it will look more like IM3 (with holiday legs).

It was small change even back then compared to HP and LOTR OS grosses. SW has always had a smaller OS percentage than other huge blockbusters . That could change with the ST, in the same way that superhero movies have finally caught on OS, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Just look at JJ's Trek movies. Despite expanded markets both films had a much lower OS gross than other action blockbusters. OS audiences just don't dig sci-fi as much as the US, unless it's mindless disaster movie spectacle like TF or a very simple and relatable story like Avatar.

You are talking about the same audience that made Rise of the Apes a global hit? All superhero movies are kind of scifi anyway. Look at the Iron-Man, Spider-Man, Avengers, or XMen DOFP's global grosses. More contemplative scifis like Matrix Trilogy & Prometheus did sizable business. Remember a movie called Jurassic Park? That one did $626M overseas without 3D or Fake IMAX. Phantom & Sith did $552M and $468M respectively. Those are substantial numbers. 

• Like 1

Fox alien/UFO-themed lineup spanning Fall 2015 to Summer 2016 is kinda mad. They have SW7, Prometheus 2 & ID4 II in less than a year. SW7 is not an "alien/UFO" movie per se but it will populated strange creatures from all corners of the galaxy, just like Prometheus 2 where Noomi Rapace & Magneto will go & seek the Engineer's world. Will there be audience fatigue? One of these will tank.

SW is Disney.

• Like 1

ROTS was a massive hit in terms of tickets sold it is the 3rd largest 4-day opening and 2nd largest 5-day opening ever.

Its 4-day gross adjusts to 196.7 million and 5-day of 214 million.

However I do wonder if SW can pull off such big numbers again. 

• Like 2

SW7 is not FOX.

Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

ROTS was a massive hit in terms of tickets sold it is the 3rd largest 4-day opening and 2nd largest 5-day opening ever.

Not in December.

• Like 1

and without 3D...

• Like 2

so the top 2015 films thread was locked, claiming there was already a thread for it. I searched the first 25 pages and didn't find one anywhere. if someone finds it please post it here or send me link. thanks

• Like 1

so the top 2015 films thread was locked, claiming there was already a thread for it. I searched the first 25 pages and didn't find one anywhere. if someone finds it please post it here or send me link. thanks

I PMd Neo asking for a link, haven't gotten anything back yet.
  • Like 1