A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

26 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Monday est:

Mermaid 276M/281M, biggest single day for a local movie

Macau 3: 178M/184M

TMK2: 170M/172M

KFP3:20.3M/700M

Total daily reached 664M, nearly increased 300M from last year!

Whoa!! Evening was much stronger than I expected!

And wow at that daily total! Over $100M! That's a rare feat even in NA.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Previous record was 425M(2015.07.18)...

2 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Mermaid also broke the highest opening day record! 

I knew there was a reason I was optimistic about this movie :lol:

It seems to have good WOM too judging from the response on Weibo. Even on Douban the responses have been pretty positive.

11 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Fuck you DW, they screwed the pooch with KFP3. It's going to make half of what it should have, fuck you once again.:rolleyes:

Dear DW, Olive, myself or anyone in this thread can assist you on when to schedule KFP4 around Asia if you like so long as you have a written guarantee that we receive 2% of its Asian box office.

Signed, 'the easiest 2% of money we'll ever make in our life' BOT users

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Bluebomb said:

Dear DW, Olive, myself or anyone in this thread can assist you on when to schedule KFP4 around Asia if you like so long as you have a written guarantee that we receive 2% of its Asian box office.

KFP4?

The saga is finished with KFP3.

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

It will be exciting to see how his collaboration with Tsui Hark will do next year, since Tsui Hark himself is a pretty big name too.

absolutely, two biggest Chinese directors + one biggest IP + big cast & huge budget = one of the biggest movies of the year

57 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If Journey to the West 2 came out this year, with that IP, it will kill Macau 3 and MK2... especially in the year of the monkey.

it will win next CNY

3 minutes ago, Bluebomb said:

Love that post.

Seriously some of the forum posters on this forum really know more about box office than studio heads and box office pundits.

4 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Love that post.

Seriously some of the forum posters on this forum really know more about box office than studio heads and box office pundits.

I think you'd be surprised how stupid people inside of vairous companies are. I used to run a video game forecasting company. The people that make the decisions are NOT the people that know better. Analysts/ect know a lot more, but the executives rarely take their input in regards to a launch or accurate forecasting of a game.

It reminds me of one game that came out a few years ago (I won't say the name). The pre-sale metrics were quite good, and you had an indication it was going to do quite well, but the studio picked it up for almost nothing to translate to a new system. Once it launched, it sold extremely well for quite some time. As soon as it happened, our phone was ringing off the hook for more sales reports/analysis, because (what was to us, obvious), they had no idea would be a success, and they wanted follow-up information about other titles they needed to acquire. 

Congrats to Chinese theaters on CNY, by the way. Even as an American, I really enjoy seeing Chinese cinema grow, and begin to challenge the American movie industry... I hope that more great movies come to the US, and we can help add to their box office totals. Especially movies like Ip Man (one of my favorite movies ever).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good for you. Next time bet something bigger here. :P

BTW with the current KFP3 monday gross(high teens) where do you see it finish. Note there are 4 movies in Feb(http://m.cbooo.cn/Movie/ReleaseMovies) which seem to have good potential.

Bet bigger? You didn't bite on the $10 bet. You will suddenly grow balls on $100?:ph34r:

So it was over 20m. You were a tad off there.

Hard to say where it will finish. Many variables. It could rebound from OD shock with more shows and increase slightly. Last year had a 12 day effect with the last 2 days being the weekend. Does this carry into early next week.

I think it gets to low 8s by sunday with it holding close to 20m p/day ave. Should get to 900m. The 4 new releases the following weekend? If not it could get to 950. Short of TMK.

@The Good Olive pm me your email for gift card

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1