A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Wow. Donnie Yen’s movie - Big Brother getting really strong word of mouth from Midnight previews. 9.5 on Maoyan? Think it will stabilise around 9 - I watched it here in Singapore as well, one of the best Asian films I have seen in the last 3 years, so I am not surprised with its reviews. Just surprised why it is 100minutes instead of the the 102 minutes in other parts of Asia.

Understand many of you are here to see Ant Man’s box office, but this is the China Box office forum so let’s give a little bit of space to local films too :) not forgetting Donnie yen is a part of Disney (he was Chirrut in rogue one and going to be the first billed male actor in Mulan), hope both does well this Summer holiday!

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

46 minutes ago, a2k said:

25% drop on Fri will give Meg 20.5

33 (+60%)

30 (-10%)

= 83.5 (-60%)

I think/fear it will drop more on friday and increase less on saturday. But lets see. It has really surprised me a few times

• Like 1

Big Brother 9.5 on maoyan?

not that many people have seen the movie, it didn't even many midnights showtimes(less than 250K yuan).

edit: it has 4.1/5 on HK movie site, better than average

Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

Ant Man 2 starts at an excellent 8.9 on Maoyan. Still very early so the score will fluctuate but its a good score to start with. 

Ant Man is also running ahead of BP right now at the BO. I dont have comps for other SH right now

Big Brother down to 9.2 from 9.5 on Maoyan

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

9.5 :ohmygod:       

I’m a big Donnie Yen fan after Ip Man, so I hope if can do great. Might be a big next few weeks.

Might be tougher than we think -

1) This is not a genre of Donnie Yen’s strength as this is an education movie, instead of his usual action movie. Even though there are some sick fight scenes in the movie.

2) It is primarily a HK film, not a mainland Chinese film (like Donnie’s Monkey King or Special ID), and focused a lot on HK’s education system

3) almost 0 marketing and weak distributor, distributor is really just banking on Donnie’s star power - many mainland audiences will watch a Donnie Yen movie as long as they see him on the poster, but that does not mean there should be almost 0 marketing

4) I see many Marvel fans already putting 1 star for this movie to remove competition. Maoyan score has dropped to 9.2, but based on the quality I suspect it will still hover around 9.0 in the end.

Anyway this film has done very well in Singapore and Malaysia and may be the top Chinese film in these 2 countries for 2018 - just not sure about China as the China distributors is crazy to let it compete against Ant Man 2 and MI6 will.

i genuinely hope all the films do well. 

32 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Ant Man 2 starts at an excellent 8.9 on Maoyan. Still very early so the score will fluctuate but its a good score to start with. 

Ant Man is also running ahead of BP right now. I dont have comps for other SH right now

Big Brother down to 9.2 from 9.5 on Maoyan

Hoping 8.7+

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Might be tougher than we think -

1) This is not a genre of Donnie Yen’s strength as this is an education movie, instead of his usual action movie. Even though there are some sick fight scenes in the movie.

2) It is primarily a HK film, not a mainland Chinese film (like Donnie’s Monkey King or Special ID), and focused a lot on HK’s education system

3) almost 0 marketing and weak distributor, distributor is really just banking on Donnie’s star power - many mainland audiences will watch a Donnie Yen movie as long as they see him on the poster, but that does not mean there should be almost 0 marketing

4) I see many Marvel fans already putting 1 star for this movie to remove competition. Maoyan score has dropped to 9.2, but based on the quality I suspect it will still hover around 9.0 in the end.

Anyway this film has done very well in Singapore and Malaysia and may be the top Chinese film in these 2 countries for 2018 - just not sure about China as the China distributors is crazy to let it compete against Ant Man 2 and MI6 will.

i genuinely hope all the films do well. 

How do you detect if those fans giving this movie a 1 are Marvel fans? Is there a way?

33 minutes ago, UserHN said:

How do you detect if those fans giving this movie a 1 are Marvel fans? Is there a way?

Lol - I have seen reviews that stated this, direct translation 

‘This movie is garbage, waste of money, spend your money wisely on Ant Man instead’

also - if you see the same guy putting 1 star on this movie and 5 star on Ant Man, pretty sure its a fan trying to push down competition.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Lol - I have seen reviews that stated this, direct translation 

‘This movie is garbage, waste of money, spend your money wisely on Ant Man instead’

also - if you see the same guy putting 1 star on this movie and 5 star on Ant Man, pretty sure its a fan trying to push down competition.

So beautiful to see toxic fandom transcending cultures :/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Only 10 negative reviews on Maoyan for Big Brother. Some said it sucks, but none of them mentioned Ant-Man 2. I never see Marvel fans did something like that. If they did this and have the power to change the score, Black Panther and SpiderMan are 9.0 not 8.0.

Also distributor of Big Brother Bona Film Group did pay water army the money many times, giving negative reviews to competitors.

And I saw big Brother. Very bad. Donnie Yen shouldn’t star this shit.

• Like 2