A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

added for IMHO everything out of Asia making a bit of an impact in the US.... might help in the future / the impact of futere movies of also e.g. Chinese movies. It's time for us westerners to get to know those more too.

Vietnamese action star has Hollywood debut with 'Crouching Tiger' sequel-via

Chinese Hits Miss Out on the Global Box Office - by

Q&A with Zhang Yimou on what he thinks about China and Hollywood - by

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

added for IMHO everything out of Asia making a bit of an impact in the US.... might help in the future / the impact of futere movies of also e.g. Chinese movies. It's time for us westerners to get to know those more too.

Vietnamese action star has Hollywood debut with 'Crouching Tiger' sequel-via

Chinese Hits Miss Out on the Global Box Office - by

Q&A with Zhang Yimou on what he thinks about China and Hollywood - by

Please bear with the quote as I am not sure how to make it collapsed (esp on a mobile phone). I find the second article fascinating. Particularly this statement:

“When non-Chinese see Chinese films, they want something they can’t easily see in their home countries. Not, say, a romantic comedy, of which there’s an ample supply in the American marketplace,” said Janet Yang, a Los Angeles-based veteran go-between in the rising Pacific Rim movie trade and a producer of the modern urban fish-out-of-water comedy Shanghai Calling, a bilingual film that Yang said was “marginalized” by the U.S. market. “When audiences can’t entirely relate to the characters, what’s the point?”

It's contradicting that in the first place, Americans want to see something they cannot easily see at home and yet movies can be marginalised when the audience cannot entirely relate... What a fine line to walk!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

It's contradicting that in the first place, Americans want to see something they cannot easily see at home and yet movies can be marginalised when the audience cannot entirely relate... What a fine line to walk!

I am not sure how aware about you (or others here) are about me being probably the oldest (age) female active member here at BOT. I think that line is exactly why some movies are today count as good or... whilst either bombing, getting bad reviews or rather mixed reactions at the time of their first release. Something a lot of the younger ppl seem not be able to grasp, like e.g. especially happened for the early Sci-Fi movies/TV-series of the more modern way/style. There were very old Sci-Fi's already out (From the Earth to the Moon, Buck Rodgers,....), those I don't mean.

I'll put spoiler tags as too lengthy anyway, but that is a theme I am really interested in too and I think, depending on the genre, that is way more difficult than 'only' the example he gave (but he is very much right with that example still, not taking away anything you or he said)

Spoiler

The balance to find to get the audience to accept the 'alien surrounding/designs/characters/....' as something really foreign and still accessible enough to not reject it was IMHO for movies like Star Wars 1977 and Blade Runner,... way more difficult than today, as there was no Sci-Fi Genre established in the way it is today accepted.

Fantasy if similarities to local fairy tales less difficult for an audience to accept than if the fantasy is based on fairy tales out of another culture, 'too' foreign to the audience....

Or behavior, what is even something to be ashamed/proud of, what business practice is to be condemned or seen as crafty/~ positive. What is humorous?

I'll pick design & female cast as an example, as that is something that can support or question the acceptance and is probably still small enough to not start an argument about 'quality' / daring or not film makers.

Today's people sometimes say movies like the examples given look old fashioned, not sleek enough, story parts, female characters... out-of-date...

I guess they really can not imagine how strongly that was already fought over in past days.

Example Star Trek the originals TV-series. It's creator wanted a female 1st officer. The studio heads 'exploded' over that in a very bad way, even wanted to hurt the actress career over it (as in never want to see her again) Very logical (sarcastic). They had to film anew. First officer an alien, slightly other color,... was a big fight too. He got a female (and black) bridge officer into it, as communication officer (then a lot of women worked still for the telephone companies to connect per hand, especially to foreign countries here). Near enough to be familiar, alien enough to be a Sci-Fi.

Reasoning? Women will never be 'real' officers (there were female officers in the medical areas at that time in the US, for communication, translation,.... not fighting...), that is too off to be believable. In some countries that is still the actual reality, in some not since quite some time. Then there were already fighting female soldiers in other countries, but as those weren't in the awareness, didn't count.

I had to fight for a place in a technical class, was the only female pupil with 41 male pupils in one class. I remember a teacher coming in (physic), seeing me, questioning my presence, turning around to check at the school head's office if my presence wasn't a prank. Me, female pupil in a technical school / subject, was too alien for his POV of the world at that time.

Btw, at that time in the big cities there were already female teachers for that subject, so a few had to have started years before me, but not in my rural region.

People then said Blade Runner is not believable, too dark / messy streets (plus story...) too broken, too much bright lit advertising, companies influence, too... alien. The story too, too.. whatever. It did made money, but it also created some strong negative WOM reactions, especially to still find within the then older reviewers articles. Today? Some of it's advertising in the streets... is normal in some regions already.

Green colored aliens (ST TOS)? Not a problem anymore today, than so foreign, the technicians to develop the film material assumed a mistake and 'repaired' it. For days the re-filmed that, each time with more green on the actress, each time it came back in 'rosy' tones. Till they met and cleared up the green color really being meant to be green. As in, yes, this Sci-Fi story has the possibility of alien looking... aliens. Green humans too foreign to be a possibility. And the technicians already were used to movies / series and per profession... more open to Sci-Fi than then usual, at least that is, what ppl are often saying about technical interested people.

Or a more recent example, how many people made fun of the tail-connection to their 'data-bank/mother planet' and co-creatures in Avatar? But why? Why shouldn't that be a possibility in an alien world? Why has that to be funny/strange? Why do nice/intelligent... alien creatures have to look so human like? We accept certain animals as intelligent and can accept a mix out of human/cat/ape as an alien character in a positive way.

But imagine, how would people react if let's say The Alien out of the Alien movie would have been the nice peaceful living natives in Avatar. Would the humans even have tried to communicate with them, waited long enough before starting to shoot... to even realize the intelligence...? See the old Planet of the Ape movies, when the lead thinks the 'beautiful' humans are the good ones for a time?

Funnily the design points are rather often used if praising or dismissing a movie, especially if it's about the Sci-Fi or Fantasy genre, hence the reason I love to pick design to show different reactions out of different times. At first too new/alien, now old-fashioned or already reality, ppl even missing the newness / awareness / critic / pointing out a future then not perceived as a wanted like that one.

Or the movie Enemy Mine, a lot of ppl again found designs as their main reasoning for being against that movie (or the too peace promoting message...)

How often is the more beautiful, but only average talented actor the one that gets the role over the way more talented, but average looking actor? Also a case of 'design' wins over story... I truly thinks ppl tend to react to design a bit too strong in the whole, no matter the country, age or gender.

Ppl get used to certain ways to get presented things / stories.... and when something breaks with that, they are usually fast to point out the difference to their set ways, like older movies looking old-fashioned or too alien, without seemingly realizing, that also the old-fashioned or the alien... is still a possibility, only a variation. And maybe even refreshingly 'other' in a time where the sleek / showy is so in.

And when they react about simple things like design in such way, how stronger they do, if the behavior/goal/sexuality/ideals/... doesn't follow their usual POV?

I had to fight for school and to get into profession, discussed very passionately with the then co-audience about the mentioned movies (and about story details too), saw the changes in POVs about those in steps and read / see today's POV. It's rather fascinating ... and a bit insane ;)

So yeah, I think I am rather very aware about ppl wanting to see something new story-wise... in an e.g. Asian movie (with mostly / to a degree alien looking ppl, cities,... partly Sci-Fi looking streets/trains/... in it already if it is about modern day life), but not too alien of a story.

To be clear, even if I use SW 1977 and old-fashioned ... reactions = not a critique on Chinese reactions, only bcs there they were seemingly louder used, maybe a bit more passionate as there seems to be a tradition to use strong wordings...

= I truly mean the general world-wide reactions to a lot of movies (and games, TV-Series,...) over the last 1/2 century. Because that reaction? Way more common than ppl seem to be aware of.

@sgchn40

http://deadline.com/2016/01/star-wars-the-force-awakens-daisy-ridley-the-eagle-huntress-sundance-film-festival-1201687900/

‘Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley Becomes ‘Eagle Huntress’ Exec Producer – Sundance

That movie could be one of the movies like he spoke about, even if I am afraid it will not really get a foot into the door of a distributor big enough to end with nice numbers.

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, sgchn40 said:

Please bear with the quote as I am not sure how to make it collapsed (esp on a mobile phone). I find the second article fascinating. Particularly this statement:

“When non-Chinese see Chinese films, they want something they can’t easily see in their home countries. Not, say, a romantic comedy, of which there’s an ample supply in the American marketplace,” said Janet Yang, a Los Angeles-based veteran go-between in the rising Pacific Rim movie trade and a producer of the modern urban fish-out-of-water comedy Shanghai Calling, a bilingual film that Yang said was “marginalized” by the U.S. market. “When audiences can’t entirely relate to the characters, what’s the point?”

I saw Shanghai Calling and its hurdle was that it was... decent. A paint-by-numbers rom-com with familiar American beats, very safe fish-out-of-water elements, and a superficial showcasing of Shanghai. Decent cast, decently acted. And ultimately forgettable.  Think the upcoming Zhang Yimou-directed The Great Wall with Matt Damon and Andy Lau is the better outfitted movie to make the breakthrough in the American market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fake said:

Friday looks to be around 15M for SW7.

Saturday increase will be a bit muted due to KFP3 previews......... number will probably look like 15-23-20 over the weekend.

It will finish quite close to 800m ($121M).

double send.

Edited by bangbingchan

2 hours ago, Fake said:

Friday looks to be around 15M for SW7.

Saturday increase will be a bit muted due to KFP3 previews......... number will probably look like 15-23-20 over the weekend.

It will finish quite close to 800m ($121M).

with more showtimes,SW7 even fall behind Martian and Spectre 2nd weekend,even 3rd weekend.Martian only had 8~10% showtimes.Thanks to less competition and School winter holiday,SW7 can at least beat Martian and Spectre.Such a good release window without competition in 20 Days.Such a waste.SW7 underperformed.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

If the Great Wall does do well in the US, its success would be due to having a famous white male actor as the lead. Can that even be considered a success for the Chinese film industry if they can't sell a movie without a white actor in it? I see that as a negative, more than anything, because it will influence future formulas for Chinese movies attempting to appeal globally.

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

If the Great Wall does do well in the US, its success would be due to having a famous white male actor as the lead. Can that even be considered a success for the Chinese film industry if they can't sell a movie without a white actor in it? I see that as a negative, more than anything, because it will influence future formulas for Chinese movies attempting to appeal globally.

I'd say it can be considered a success. A movie like The Great Wall is always about leveraging American star power, resources and influence to create the first Chinese global blockbuster. White lead or not, the label reads Chinese production. Before such films can be seen as damagingly formulaic, the formula for success has to be found first. And that's probably the chief concern of the Chinese film industry.

• Like 1

A cold wave striking majority of China this weekend, it's really cold and people decides to stay home.

So this will kill the chance of SW7 hitting 800M yuan, possibly 780-790M finish.

And KFP3 previews will be affected too, 30-40M yuan still possible though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

A cold wave striking majority of China this weekend, it's really cold and people decides to stay home.

So this will kill the chance of SW7 hitting 800M yuan, possibly 780-790M finish.

And KFP3 previews will be affected too, 30-40M yuan still possible though.

Highways in at least 12 provincial regions in northern, eastern and central China have been closed since 8 a.m. on Friday due to blizzards and snowstorms.

Wow, the worst cold wave since 30y, down to -40°C / -40°F in some places.

Parts of the US with the worst snow blizzard since ages (forgot the year) expected at the same weekend.

A few days back they reported about 2015 being the warmest year ww all-time, now the back-swing it seems (I see it in waves/swings)

Fingers crossed all members and others stay healthy... through that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

If there has no 3 actors from HLW, I think no one (non-Chinese/Asian) will pay attention to The Great Wall. I don't expect they will show respect to Asian movies. The Great Wall, such a symbol of China # the male lead is white. TBH, there is no need to cast white guys. They are overrated. If not, how successful of Chinese/Asian movie release nationwide in NA?

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

... TBH, there is no need to cast white guys. They are overrated. If not, how successful of Chinese/Asian movie release nationwide in NA?

I haven't really read int the movie yet (not much to read about at Wiki or IMDb anyway), but as I understand it, it might be a rather explosion/fights laden fantasy/Sci-Fi whatever action-mix.

Set in 15th century China, "The Great Wall" is about British warriors who happen upon the hurried construction of the massive wall. As night falls, the warriors realize that the haste in building the wall isn’t just to keep out the Mongols — there is something inhuman and more dangerous.

Why reacting so strongly if it is seemingly about a story, where it isn't about a realistic China... anyway? Being another ~ entity of a seemingly very specialized genre?

I mean what we know for now = I do not know anyone out of my age-group who would want to see anything like that, no matter the country of origin (I'll watch it out of curiosity and to support, if it gets released here)

See the earlier discussion about ppl and seeing material alien looking or alien in the story details, why getting angry if they go/try out step-by-step to even meet somewhere in the future? Other tries didn't work in the way an speed we hoped for.

And I really hope also for future impacts by university screenings and,...

I think expecting or even ~ demanding very soon (multi-)blockbusters per year... of foreign made movies in the US (and elsewhere) is a bit too much/ not based on reality, not the hoping for it, but the seemingly getting angry about it, if not as soon happening as aiming for.

Hmm, I do not know why, but for some reasons it remembers me a bit about the 13th Warrior. Not a big hit at the beginning, but The Most watched movie in Islamic regions with US soldiers, that those watch together. Started dialog, interest... Sadly not enough.

in Chinese : :D

根据初步统计,周五报收7250万;

#星球大战:原力觉醒#1440万,累计7.13亿;

#云中行走#1288万,累计1300万;

#真相禁区#1089万,累计1100万;

#熊出没之熊心归来#955万,累计1.8亿;

#最后的巫师猎人#810万,累计1.15亿;

#唐人街探案#573万,累计7.61亿;

#极限挑战之皇家宝藏#320万,累计1.12亿;

#老炮儿#195万,累计8.83亿;

#消失爱人#115万,累计5917万;

#寻龙诀#102万,累计16.68亿