A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Isn't parts of China also going through a massive cold front?

The cold wave is sweeping over most part of China except the southern island,even some southern part of mainland is snowy.It is very rare in 50 years.So this Sunday might be the lowest one this year.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I have to ask.....

If Dreamworks makes a fourth KFP film in years to come........how much do you think it would do in China?

Well first lets see what KFP3 does before making any predictions for KFP4.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

USA

Well Go USA's IP MAN 3 punched up an impressive $762k on 103 screens--$7,402 per.

I think per screen average will be higher, since 103 is a bluff. Well Go USA has responded to emails from fans, that the number of theaters is updated on their website
http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/ipman3
This looks like 90, not 103 based on counting. Furthermore theaters in Washington DC, New York were closed this weekends, so the final count should be around 60+ to 70+, not 103. So it is actually more impressive than it seems... 

Let's see how good Well Go USA is at expanding theaters next weekend with KFP3 on the horizon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

In NYC movie theaters closed on Saturday afternoon but most are open the rest of the w/e.

Thank you. Do you think NY with it's 3 locations for IP Man 3 (+ maybe 1x New jersey) is a bigger crowd city than average for a movie out of China?

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you. Do you think NY with it's 3 locations for IP Man 3 (+ maybe 1x New jersey) is a bigger crowd city than average for a movie out of China?

NYC (like L.A.) always gets foreign and art house movies and the per theater avg are usually high, in part because ticket prices are 50-75% more than the national avg, but also because there's always an audience for them.  

NYC has the largest Chinese American population in the U.S. - around half a million - approx 6% (for comparison sake there are approx 3.8m nationwide) while San Francisco's population is 20% Chinese American with about 170k (and has 3 theaters showing IPM30

Having NYC AMC 25 close down for even one day would impact screen avgs but showing it in 100 theaters in smaller cities is a far bigger dilution.  For a non awards contender though opening in 100 theaters that's a very solid PTA.   It's PTA is 50+% better than The Raid2 was in 26 theaters and it made almost as much in 100 theaters as the Raid 2 did when it expanded to 900+ theaters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's PTA is 50+% better than The Raid2 was in 26 theaters and it made almost as much in 100 theaters as the Raid 2 did when it expanded to 900+ theaters.

Thank you again (I thought so, but wasn't familiar with the details, like population precentages,...)

and wow to the comparison to Raid 2

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Having NYC AMC 25 close down for even one day would impact screen avgs but showing it in 100 theaters in smaller cities is a far bigger dilution.  For a non awards contender though opening in 100 theaters that's a very solid PTA.   It's PTA is 50+% better than The Raid2 was in 26 theaters and it made almost as much in 100 theaters as the Raid 2 did when it expanded to 900+ theaters.

Wow, the Raid2's numbers are actually quite pathetic for a wide release(more than 600 theaters), I think Ip Man 3 will easily surpass that 2 million USD in North America with 1/9 of those screens!

Edited by TigerPaw

On 1/19/2016 at 2:30 AM, terrestrial said:

Off topic (and you told here not one word I (and all the others here) don't know already .... like it's too obvious to not know. Btw, partly wrong details)

You are so full of it and assume that you know everytihng, and its foolish for you to think that everyone knows everything I say.

Let's not even talk about off topic, with your 6,500 posts there's no end to the number of off topic discussions you made. I have even found posts from you about your personal opinions. A lengthy recent example is listed below for your reference.

On 1/22/2016 at 8:58 AM, terrestrial said:

I haven't really read int the movie yet (not much to read about at Wiki or IMDb anyway), but as I understand it, it might be a rather explosion/fights laden fantasy/Sci-Fi whatever action-mix.

Why reacting so strongly if it is seemingly about a story, where it isn't about a realistic China... anyway? Being another ~ entity of a seemingly very specialized genre?

I mean what we know for now = I do not know anyone out of my age-group who would want to see anything like that, no matter the country of origin (I'll watch it out of curiosity and to support, if it gets released here)

See the earlier discussion about ppl and seeing material alien looking or alien in the story details, why getting angry if they go/try out step-by-step to even meet somewhere in the future? Other tries didn't work in the way an speed we hoped for.

And I really hope also for future impacts by university screenings and,...

I think expecting or even ~ demanding very soon (multi-)blockbusters per year... of foreign made movies in the US (and elsewhere) is a bit too much/ not based on reality, not the hoping for it, but the seemingly getting angry about it, if not as soon happening as aiming for.

Hmm, I do not know why, but for some reasons it remembers me a bit about the 13th Warrior. Not a big hit at the beginning, but The Most watched movie in Islamic regions with US soldiers, that those watch together. Started dialog, interest... Sadly not enough.

30 minutes ago, Annayya said:

You are so full of it and assume that you know everytihng, and its foolish for you to think that everyone knows everything I say.

Let's not even talk about off topic, with your 6,500 posts there's no end to the number of off topic discussions you made. I have even found posts from you about your personal opinions. A lengthy recent example is listed below for your reference.

Yes, I too let myself suck into OT....

Spoiler

...but I usually realize that fast. And usually only happens when all around already are OT.

Another reason might be:

I try sometimes to ask why members see something in a certain way, why so... strongly feeling, especially if it sounds to me like the member is not feeling good, and especially if members are living in a region I never lived in = like in the case you quoted.

Trying to find out, if I missed something or why a member feels seemingly not so fine.

Maybe showing interest, hinting on details / chances for the future, giving a bit ~ hope (term?) for the seemingly strongly not positive feeling writer? As in trying to helping to maybe to find the balance / a good feeling again? Trying to be friendly, constructive, positive,...

You are already a while here, I am a bit astonished that you seem to have missed it:

I am posting way over 95% only BO news/tweets/charts/links/release dates & changes, mostly even without comments. As in for several countries and in especial the US daily BO threads. And I do some other things, if I find the time, like last season's event calendar here at BOT and...

If I have the time to be here at BOT.

And no, I do not think I know it all, but as I am reading here quite a lot, I guess I do know a bit which details got already discussed, which repeatedly and which ones maybe not or not often. Or which business details / BO patterns for which market/season/genre... already got explained - partly even very recently... and a few / something, I forgot the exact details, too many BO news happened, your details were simply basic knowledge even if never having read here IMHO

put in spoiler tags to not add more OT to the thread

Edited by terrestrial

Nice sunday hold sw7.

The weekend hold is good at -60% considering weather an KFP3 previews.

Looking to hold 50% mon w/o/w . WOM can't be too bad or this would be dropping 70%+ or even 80+ this late in the run. This could be a sign that bodes well for SW8

KFP3 pre-sales at 5.6m. Less than half of sw7 at 4 days out. It's a Friday open instead of Saturday and considered a local film, the purchase pattern may be different, but that is still low.

Should start picking up today

From 4 days out. SW7 ramped up from 14m to 73m . Mostly in the last 36 hours.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Baumer said:

What film are you two actually fighting about?

If you mean me:

not about a special movie, about IMHO not making much sense to conclude BO details of/for OS countries out of US inflation rates and to do a discussion about that IMHO better in the ER thread at International and not at/in China's thread

• Like 1