A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Ideally, Alice should open on May 20. Two free weekends is enough for Civil War (May 6); a third free weekend will be a waste like last Year's TA2. But May 20 is unlikely to happen. So Alice likely will go head to head with Apocalypse on May 27, which is a better date than June 3. For Alice, May 20 > May 27 > June 3.

In CFGC's POV, since they are handing out pre-summer day and date releases for studio quote titles like candies, no reason they delay neither Alice nor Apocalypse for one week to June 3; in Disney's POV, if they are wise enough, they would know Warcraft is a bigger threat to their precious annual live-action fairy tale movie than the Mutants. 

On paper, Warcraft will release as a revenue-sharing quote movie from Universal but in practice, it has nothing to do with Universal; it will be marketed and distributed as one of the biggest local event tentpoles, eating up the Dragon Boat Festival rice dumplings. Tencent and Wanda will bring on every piece of force they have.

In North America, Japan and every Europa market, Alice will slay the Mutants but in China, Alice and her weirdo friends will handily get mind-controlled by Professor X. (Still, Alice should do $100m+.)

Why would you assume that the Alice in Wonderland movie will make more than an X-Men movie in North America? I'm not sensing that at all.

11 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Similarly, pretty much everywhere else in Asia. Ip Man 3 and KFP3 will beat Zootopia, but that trend is reversed in China. Oh ya, Zootopia beats SW7 too. 

Because different countries like their movies differently.

That is why it is very interesting to following international markets.

One can look at this top movies around the world: http://www.insidekino.de/BO/2015MAE.htm and know that it indeed varies from country to country.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

how many such premium large format screens are there in China as of today? Last article reported till end of 2014(minus Imax).

http://www.filmjournal.com/features/rise-premium-large-format-investing-next-generation-cinema-exhibition

PLF screens should double that now. And another 280 commmercial IMAX screens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Why would you assume that the Alice in Wonderland movie will make more than an X-Men movie in North America? I'm not sensing that at all.

I think its obvious....

the last Alice film did 340m while this is a sequel that looks good.

no XM movie even did more than 240m in NA.

plus family films will always outleg geek flicks.

10 minutes ago, firedeep said:

I think its obvious....

the last Alice film did 340m while this is a sequel that looks good.

no XM movie even did more than 240m in NA.

plus family films will always outleg geek flicks.

It's also been a really long time since the first movie, and this sequel seems to have come out of nowhere. I doubt it's going to make more than $200 million in North America.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's also been a really long time since the first movie, and this sequel seems to have come out of nowhere. I doubt it's going to make more than $200 million in North America.

Recent Disney adaptations have made more than $200m: Oz, Maleficent, Cinderella... and this has Johnny Depp again. And let's remember, as firedeep said, that any X-Men film has still done over $235m in US. I think Alice 2 can win (not locked).

15 minutes ago, peludo said:

Recent Disney adaptations have made more than $200m: Oz, Maleficent, Cinderella... and this has Johnny Depp again. And let's remember, as firedeep said, that any X-Men film has still done over $235m in US. I think Alice 2 can win (not locked).

Jungle Book is taking that space. Plus, it has to compete with The Angry Birds Movie. I doubt it will make more than $200 million in North America.

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Jungle Book is taking that space. Plus, it has to compete with The Angry Birds Movie. I doubt it will make more than $200 million in North America.

Well, competition could apply to X-Men too. It has to compete with the "too many SH films in a short time" factor. By the time X-Men is released we will have already seen Deadpool, BvS and Civil War in less than 3 months. Those 3 films should sum over 1 billion DOM. We have never seen so many big SH films in a so short time (and we will still have to wait for Suicide Squad and Dr. Strange). Some of them could fail because of saturation. BvS and CW are, presumably, the strongest of the year, and X-Men is close enough in time to both in order to be affected. People could wait to see new characters (SS and Strange) instead going to see the 8th X-Men film... Just a thought. I am not saying it will happen. In fact, I prefer X-Men to win over AiW2. But it could be tougher than many think.

Just now, peludo said:

Well, competition could apply to X-Men too. It has to compete with the "too many SH films in a short time" factor. By the time X-Men is released we will have already seen Deadpool, BvS and Civil War in less than 3 months. Those 3 films should sum over 1 billion DOM. We have never seen so many big SH films in a so short time (and we will still have to wait for Suicide Squad and Dr. Strange). Some of them could fail because of saturation. BvS and CW are, presumably, the strongest of the year, and X-Men is close enough in time to both in order to be affected. People could wait to see new characters (SS and Strange) instead going to see the 8th X-Men film... Just a thought. I am not saying it will happen. In fact, I prefer X-Men to win over AiW2. But it could be tougher than many think.

Those Sci-Fi films you mentioned are more than 3 weeks separated from the new X-Men movie. I doubt they will have much of an impact.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Those Sci-Fi films you mentioned are more than 3 weeks separated from the new X-Men movie. I doubt they will have much of an impact.

Not because direct competition, but lack of interest because of too many superheroes in just 3 months. Beyond rabid fans, general audience can become tired of the genre for a while and wait to see other SH films later.