A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

$120 in 2 weeks and $10 more for $130 total once CMARV releases is what ALITA is looking at imo. Still on track for $425 ww on not much more unless OS-China-Japan holds surprise for a couple of weeks and make $450 realistic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Alita needed a bigger total in China than RPO. 

RPO did $50M+ domestic. 

Yeah, you need China to be massive if your domestic numbers are extra low. 130-140mil is good in a vacuum but we aren't talking about an Ant-Man and The Wasp situation. That had a similar budget and its 139mil China gross went along with a 216mil North American gross. 

25 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Alita's North American numbers are so low that it really needed a Ready Player One type of break out performance in China.

How was it going to achieve that while going up against a local phenomenon, and really a groundbreaking film?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

How was it going to achieve that while going up against a local phenomenon, and really a groundbreaking film?

By having great WOM. Wandering earth is not that big anymore, alita could have done more with higher maoyan rating.  

And even having a reason doesn't help alita.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah, you need China to be massive if your domestic numbers are extra low. 130-140mil is good in a vacuum but we aren't talking about an Ant-Man and The Wasp situation. That had a similar budget and its 139mil China gross went along with a 216mil North American gross. 

You say this as if you have knowledge of what numbers they need to make a sequel, you don't, none of us do. Theatrical is not the be all end all. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

For Green Book, I wonder if China > DOM is possible.

9.6 rating, it could gain traction and try. Shows are dropping a little for tomorrow only because expected larger bumps are incoming for Alita and HtTYD3.  If its PTA is high it will gain shows again

32 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

So, at how much Dragon 3 is looking at for the weekend? $35-40m?

$38-42m

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, a2k said:

$120 in 2 weeks and $10 more for $130 total once CMARV releases is what ALITA is looking at imo. Still on track for $425 ww on not much more unless OS-China-Japan holds surprise for a couple of weeks and make $450 realistic.

That's neat, I figured it'd end up just above 400 M. 

I remember when some people after 1st week of TWE talked, about beat TFA, later WW2 and said 700 minimum locked, it seems that China is not so predictable....

It´s a pity even touch 700, let´s see next megahit here....

8 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

9.6 rating, it could gain traction and try. Shows are dropping a little for tomorrow only because expected larger bumps are incoming for Alita and HtTYD3.  If its PTA is high it will gain shows again

$38-42m

Saturday presales for HTTYD3 will be around 19m.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Saturday presales for HTTYD3 will be around 19m.

that should make it 100m for sat. 

T        1

F      54

S    100

S      80

Tot  235/$35

I was thinking at least 110m since toons usually double and would make it at least $38m

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

You say this as if you have knowledge of what numbers they need to make a sequel, you don't, none of us do. Theatrical is not the be all end all. 

I'm not going to argue with you. I wasn't the one embarrassing myself with absurd billion dollar predictions. I don't take any of you Cameron is gawd guys reading of the numbers seriously due to that silliness.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It did $45mn after $2.1mn opening day (holiday, real value around $1.2mn). That's about 38x opening day to lifetime multiple.

Dangal had 9.8, SS, 9.5. both had tough competition too. Aamir khan seems to be the difference. Still great numbers.