A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

4 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

$60m+ opening + Zootopia legs = $600-$625m total!!

:ohmygod:

(I know this won’t happen)

I wouldn't rule out 3+ multiplier though. It's got no major Hollywood competition during its run from what I can tell. FFH will be winding down, SLOP2 isn't making any kind of impact, and the next big blockbuster is H&S on August 23. TLK should also play as the only major family film during peak summer vacation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I wouldn't rule out 3+ multiplier though. It's got no major Hollywood competition during its run from what I can tell. FFH will be winding down, SLOP2 isn't making any kind of impact, and the next big blockbuster is H&S on August 23. TLK should also play as the only major family film during peak summer vacation.

You’re right. Everything is open and ready for it to run strong in China, it just needs that great WOM (maybe a 9.3 or higher on Maoyan?)

I’m hoping this film has the same effect on the new markets (mostly Asia) that the original had domestically and in Europe’

• Like 1

China has banned American actors from appearing in Chinese films and shows (ie working in China), per FTimes. A full ban on American contents could begin any minute, like the ban on Korean contents since 2017.

Edited by firedeep
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 6
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, firedeep said:

China has banned American actors from appearing in Chinese films and shows (ie working in China), per FTimes. A full ban on American contents could begin any minute, like the ban on Korean contents since 2017.

wtf, why? Would that mean TLK and Hobbs and Shaw won't release there?

Edited by lorddemaxus

7 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Tensions heating up huh? Would this mean killing FFH’s run right in the middle?

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I read that there were big riots in a city recently, and the news were spreading like wildfire on Weibo. 

That + the on and off trade war means that the government will tighten the control it has as much as it can. 

Communist regimes always need a foreign target to blame for their mess and that's usually the US so it's really a no-brainer for them.

I don't think it'll escalate that quickly, though. TLK is like 2 weeks away.

19 hours ago, VENOM said:

Yeah it’s called good taste not being picky. They just not into accepting obvious cash grabs left and right. I’m surprised Disney hasn’t announced a live action remake of Micky mouse yet what’s going on!

You would be wrong about this. Aladdin was fantastic yet it didn't do well. Black panther was awesome but had horrible legs. Venom was mediocre yet had insane reception. Things don't always make sense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, firedeep said:

https://www.ft.com/content/726d9520-995e-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

This article from 2 days ago says it's an informal ban by studios themselves in anticipation of a possible ban.  Has that changed already?

Actors and film industry staff have told the Financial Times that Chinese studios are imposing an informal ban on American nationals, fearing that a worsening trade war could lead Beijing's censors to place restrictions on US-related content. “My agency in China ended our contract claiming the trade war with America amounts to force majeure. I can only assume it looks bad for them to be working with an American,” said Matt William Knowles, who was cut from a $75m project last month.

Trade tensions have so far not affected the distribution of Hollywood films in China, with US movies breaking box office records in the country this year. But if the trade war deepens, “we are worried about restrictions”, said one US film industry executive.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

10 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Tensions heating up huh? Would this mean killing FFH’s run right in the middle?

will not affect films already dated or in release

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sindreee said:

This just mean that film makers can’t cast Matt Damon in Wolf Warrior 3, Hollywood movies are still cool with them.

not if it heats up

50 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.ft.com/content/726d9520-995e-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

This article from 2 days ago says it's an informal ban by studios themselves in anticipation of a possible ban.  Has that changed already?

this is China. there would never be formal notice about the ban if it happens.

Maybe it's just the one side decision of some sole studios. But anything terrible incoming is possible given the circumstance.

Edited by firedeep

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Don't worry about HLW titles.

President Xi is a big fan of Hollywood films. He expressed how much love he has on films like Saving Private Ryan, Godfather. Even if he become the first emperor of PROC, the Hollywood films will keep alive in China.

It does not work that way. Banning HLW would not affect him or them a bit. During Mao regime, CCP leaders and their families had always been able to enjoy the latest western films and products while the people struggled for food.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

It does not work that way. Banning HLW would not affect him or them a bit. During Mao regime, CCP leaders and their families had always been able to enjoy the latest western films and products while the people struggled for food.

Thats typical. There was propaganda against all things American in the USSR and most was banned.

But when Khrushchev visited the US he said he loved disney cartoons and westerns.  He wanted to visit Disneyland and meet John Wayne. Disney was a security nightmare, that was out. But Wayne met with him on the condition he would not drink vodka, he drank tequila instead!

Same with Kim Jong Il.  He hated the west, but loved the movies that were banned for the people.