A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Y8m. Y108 for OD 

Was lackluster opening. Half of aOU but it popped over the weekenf2fd and nearly beat it's run.it lost a lot of screens to locals when summer started or it would've beat AOU with $250m +

AoU's run still pisses me off. If it had decent WOM it would hit 300M, easily. Instead completely cratered after the first 5 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

AoU's run still pisses me off. If it had decent WOM it would hit 300M, easily. Instead completely cratered after the first 5 days.

It had very weak weekdays. Might have made 300m in summer, but not allowed to open in summer unless its coproduced like TF4.

It held well at the end of the run though. But by then the screens are lost and the 30 days are up. The only market where a movie can close right after a $5m weekend

Edited by No Prisoners

6 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Maoyan just popped 5m

At Y61.66m. May get to Y80m at this rate.

Starting to think Y225m/$34m

Bodes well. But the more important number is Sundays percentage drop

Great. Looks like Maoyan and Gewara are lining up. 250M OD would only be 2nd to FF7 OD.

10 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

To be fair, AoU's run in China more or less mirrored the US.. It had the 3rd best opening followed by an incredible 59.4% drop which is terrible for a summer blockbuster.

6 minutes ago, Mrstickball said:

To be fair, AoU's run in China more or less mirrored the US.. It had the 3rd best opening followed by an incredible 59.4% drop which is terrible for a summer blockbuster.

Legs in China were much worse. It made 150M+ in 5 days and rest with little to no comp made 80M in 25 days. Imagine if it had comp, shudder to think what kind of crappy holds it would have.

Edited by druv10 Maul

Good for SW:TFA, don't think WOM will help it though, WOM in Asian countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong have been mixed at best, many claim that it is merely a remake of Ep4. (Flip a few pages back of this thread and we were discussing that). But who knows?!  The general public in China may like it.. For example the general consensus of Terminator Genesis and Expendables 3... or even Transformers 4 are considered medicore or weak films but did extremely well! =) And SW:TFA despite its many flaws and imperfections is a better film than those I mentioned. B)

I feel sad for Detective Chinatown though, overshadowed by Mojin and Mr Six, and got some box office competition by Sherlock, now it will face Star Wars and lose its showtimes.... A quality film which deserves more at the box office. I am now actually glad Skiptrace and Ip Man 3 changed dates because they probably would have not done well. 

Edited by TigerPaw

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

WOW that SW7 presales went cray and beat F7!!! So the doom and gloom was for nothing. Kudos to firedeep for being the only one who said its no way just making 12% of domestic gross.

I think you read a bit too fastly through the last few pages

Just now, druv10 Maul said:

But he's right. Everyone including Olive thought 100M might be in doubt only Firedeep said that's just not possible. 

but without the matching pre-sales it wasn't like he/she wrote (formulation style)

= I think that is not so fine to describe it like that.

There were and still are a lot of reasons to stay cautious, or we will have again such ... not so nice members who try to twist something nasty out of it.

And other reasons....

Pre-sales popped another Y5m in an hour and a half and it's the middle of the night. 66m/ $10m total

It's a melt up.

If WOM can be good it'll be very interesting.

$35m OD looking possible. A 7 OD multi will take it over AOUs 239m gross

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

Can't wait to see the holds!

What about the walk-ups? I'm pretty sure that, even with domestic for example, Star Wars definitely wouldn't have been that huge without the walk-ups. The presales created hype, but the walk-ups created the incredible Sunday and Monday holds, and then rest is history. Maybe the same with happen here.

China is such an unknown quantity, pretty exciting to watch!

• Like 1