A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

The competition is less than BP had right? So that might help a bit with legs. Still if wom is bad it's hard to see a 1.7 multi +. 1.5 - 1.7 should be the norm (unless I missed some big competition than the multi will be lower with bad wom. 

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I remember Black Panther started around 7.9-8.0 on Maoyan. I don't think Captain Marvel will go that low into bad WOM territory. I'm personally predicting average reception (around 8.5 rating). 

Do you remember BP's multiplier with that low rating? 1.5x?

41 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Do you remember BP's multiplier with that low rating? 1.5x?

its was 1.6 personally i think that it will be better received than black panther so i am excepting 1.7-1.8 multi thats based the fact that reactions are not great,but if it turns out be well received then i will reverse my predictin final total 150-160 with a chance for more

Edited by john2000

49 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Is that bad? good? or meh? 

Last Tue fell 13% from last Mon. This time it fell 12% (@Olive's post) so was par. IMO it needed 10% drop on Tue to keep $140 alive. Guessing $134-137 total unless CMARV has bad wom and it shows fast.

• Like 1

I know that generally Maoyan rating is a good indication of reception and legs but I would be cautious of using audience ratings with this movie. Many of you know that Douban is another website where you can check audience ratings. Like RT, Douban also allows comments on the movie before its release. Well I checked some of these comments and some of them were really hilarious and cringey. The following are some amongst the top 20 comments right now

- "I really feel that the woman is ugly"

- "The woman is slightly ugly"

And the gem of it all

- "Short and ugly with a supporting face! Even the ass did not even!""Can't go to the gym and practice your ass?" :rofl:

Some of the rest are about feminism and what I am assuming are references to womens rights organization in China. And some are on the body and looks of Brie Larson that I cannot decipher.

Point being take the Maoyan rating with a pinch of salt

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4
  • ...wtf 1

Very disappointing and disgusting. Is this purely because of Brie's comments, or is something else causing these men to feel so threatened by a female superhero? I don't remember the same level of nastiness for other female-led films in recent years. East Asia tends to be pretty patriarchal, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by the backlash. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I know that generally Maoyan rating is a good indication of reception and legs but I would be cautious of using audience ratings with this movie. Many of you know that Douban is another website where you can check audience ratings. Like RT, Douban also allows comments on the movie before its release. Well I checked some of these comments and some of them were really hilarious and cringey. The following are some amongst the top 20 comments right now

And the gem of it all

- "Short and ugly with a supporting face! Even the ass did not even!""Can't go to the gym and practice your ass?" :rofl:

Some of the rest are about feminism and what I am assuming are references to womens rights organization in China. And some are on the body and looks of Brie Larson that I cannot decipher.

Fun fact: “Avengers” is homophonic to “women’s rights organization” in Chinese. That’s probably why you saw a lot of references to the women rights organizations where they actually referred to Avengers.
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Very disappointing and disgusting. Is this purely because of Brie's comments, or is something else causing these men to feel so threatened by a female superhero? I don't remember the same level of nastiness for other female-led films in recent years. East Asia tends to be pretty patriarchal, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by the backlash. 

I generally do not read the comments so I don't know if other female led movies got the same treatment or not. But I am guessing no. It is highly likely due to fragile man babies thinking Brie Larson is coming to commit male genocide.

The best part is that this movie's presales in almost all Asian coutries are higher than any Marvel movie (except the avengers movies) which indicates the general audience does not know or care about these things. It's only a few incels with way too much time who are doing this, like how it is in US.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Fun fact: “Avengers” is homophonic to “women’s rights organization” in Chinese. That’s probably why you saw a lot of references to the women rights organizations where they actually referred to Avengers.

Ahh that makes sense. I kept wondering what Women's Federation 3 was as it kept popping in the comments and I googled it and it showed the All-China Womens Federation as the result so I assumed it was that.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

And the gem of it all

We can't take the Maoyan rating with a pinch of salt. The thing is, the Chinese look at the Maoyan rating to see if a movie is worth wasting their money for. If they see a low rating there, then they won't go. So sad really. Lots of man-babies everywhere. But to be fair, Asia tends to be on the patriarchal side. Korea for sure is culturally and socially conservative. Even South Asia (India, Pakistan, etc) is like that.

• Thanks 1