A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

24 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Disney (and FOX, the distribution rights holder of at least one of the old ones) signed in autumn / winter 2015 a contract with a streaming company.

In the first month every movie had to be paid seperatedly, later on it was all incl. with their montly fee.

The per view pay seemed a bit high in relation to the monthly costs, I'll look into that part of the Chinese indutry on summer or so, looks like it could get interesting to follow.

The OT were shown for the first time last June/July as part of a film festival in Shanghai. Limited screening obviously. As others have mentioned, the viewers generally found it dated. 

2 minutes ago, FranMan said:

The OT were shown for the first time last June/July as part of a film festival in Shanghai. Limited screening obviously.

I know, no idea how many/few got that to see. I think there was some unrest at that time, if needed I could check what it was about (festival related, something local)

13 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

TFA is a well made film, and a huge critical success (94% RT), unlike the prequels which were not, but they were still Star Wars. The nostalgia in those film's didn't blind audiences in the west.

Dunno about that, TPM sold almost as many tickets as TFA in some countries at least.

Edited by Elessar

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Dunno about that, TPM sold almost as many tickets as TFA in some countries at least.

TPM sold so many tickets on the back of there not being a Star Wars film since the early 1980's. People wanted to see the return of Star Wars. Attack of the Clones dropped so much as a result of reaction to the TPM. It was never a critical success, unlike TFA

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

TPM sold so many tickets on the back of there not being a Star Wars film since the early 1980's. People wanted to see the return of Star Wars. Attack of the Clones dropped so much as a result of reaction to the TPM. It was never a critical success, unlike TFA

People seem to conveniently forget what you have pointed out here.

Sent from my ASUS_Z011D using Tapatalk

Everyone here needs to calm down and get along. 

We get it, SW7 isn't doing as well as recent blockbusters. With that said, it's still on pace to do 100M+ and should reach 2B WW. SUCCESS.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

TFA sold so many tickets because it was the first Star Wars in a decade and for the first time a sequel to the OT, starring beloved characters. Ep8 will probably also drop, probably not as much as Ep2, though. So yes, TFA is a far better movie than the prequels and that definitely is a factor but the main reason for its success are the points i previously mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Potter is bigger for once. Marvel too, but that should not be counted as a franchise, considering it is basically 4-5 franchises combined.

But the TFA has already destroyed every Potter/Marvel movie ever domestically and WW and will easily destroy them OS too. So how exactly are they more popular?

1 hour ago, James said:

Potter is bigger for once. Marvel too, but that should not be counted as a franchise, considering it is basically 4-5 franchises combined.

But the TFA has already destroyed every Potter/Marvel movie ever domestically and WW and will easily destroy them OS too. So how exactly are they more popular?

Logic shall not be accepted here and facts ain't that sacred.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:08 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Let's just hope WOM will carry Panda 3.

Btw, how was the WOM for the last 2 movies?

And is Feb.8 consisting of one or 2 huge chinese movies?

KFP2 did 92m in 2011. how was WOM? in a market that has tripled since 2011 and record grosses for live action keep rising every year, That 92m wasn't beat by another toon until summer 2015 by TMKs 150m

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:12 AM, KP1025 said:

I think the problem is less WOM for KFP3 but rather the loss of screens on its 10 day from all the major local films coming out.  It will have to make the vast majority of its gross before then.

yes, 10 days but it is a Friday opener, rare for HLWD but this co produced. so it gets 2 full weekends and as you know a majority of the money is made (66-75%) in the first 10 days in domestic and more so in china

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:16 AM, bangbingchan said:

not 1 or 2 

7 or 8 wide releases the same day!

including 2 yearly boxoffice Top 2

If KFP3 cannot release on Feb.8,Jan.15 is much better date.Winter holiday begin next weekend in some schools.

Last year there were 7 releases and they had 6 to 20% of the screens. If WOM is strong and the numbers remain big it will probably hold on to 7% or more. the bottom 2 movies made $2m and $3m with 7% and 8% screens for several days. there are 30% more screens now. Its possible that KFP3 could make $5m+ per day during new years

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:21 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Then the interest maybe gone in Feb.8 for KFP3......

But......how long will KFP3 stay in theaters in China? Normally for Hollywood films....it's 1 whole month. But with way too many locals coming out.....could they lessen it's run?

TMK struck a chord like KFP2 did. many new releases came and went during the summer and it stayed relevant and held 7-15% of screens for several weeks.

If KFP3 hits the right note and makes it thru CNY, when most of those movies fade it will get screens back at the end of CNY. It could also run for more than 1 month like TMK since its co-produced. as long as its BO gross percentage matches or beats its screen percentage, they may even give it back more screens during the new year.

Its possible that it does well over $100m opening weekend. $50m+ midweek. a 50% hold or better 2nd weekend. $250m~

pick up 30m during CNY

then leg out to over $300m over several weeks

or it opens to $100m on hype, they hate it, it collapses, gets 1% of shows during CNY and fails to reach $200m

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Star wars is the biggest franchise domestically BY FAR. It was not necessary that TFA did what is doing to know it.

But in terms of OS figures, Harry Potter has always made better figures than Star Wars. Just Episodes I and IV can compete OS with Potter films. And now TFA too. But the same year that SW3 was making $460m, HP4 did over $600m. A final film could not compete with an intermediate chapter. And the main example: HP1 adjusts to about 1.15-1.2 billion OS. And it did not have expanding markets. It is the biggest overseas modern film excepting Cameron's monsters.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

ANH adjusted dom is probably bigger than any potter movies ww gross. Adjusted EP 4 to 6 are way bigger than potter even ww.

What is your defense for TFA crushing the series finale DH2 by over 50% ww?

17 minutes ago, peludo said:

And the main example: HP1 adjusts to about 1.15-1.2 billion OS. And it did not have expanding markets. It is the biggest overseas modern film excepting Cameron's monsters.

I would add LOTR, which if it wasn't for Japan, was pretty much as big as HP1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jb007 said:

Star wars is the biggest franchise domestically BY FAR.

But in terms of OS figures, Harry Potter has always made better figures than Star Wars. Just Episodes I and IV can compete OS with Potter films. The same year that SW3 was making $460m, HP4 did over $600m. A final film could not compete with an intermediate chapter. And the main example: HP1 adjusts to about 1.15-1.2 billion OS. And it did not have expanding markets. It is the biggest overseas modern film excepting Cameron's monsters.

ANH adjusted dom is probably bigger than any potter movies ww gross. Adjusted EP 4 to 6 are way bigger than potter even ww.

What is your defense for TFA crushing the series finale DH2 by over 50% ww?

HP1 adjusts to about 1.65-1.7 billion WW.

And I noticed that you quoted before I had introduced TFA as a true competitor to Potter films.

I was talking about OS figures. I already recognized that Star Wars is by far the biggest franchise in US and probably ANH ranks second WW adjusted behind Titanic because that monstruous 1.4 billion DOM adjusted. But in the rest of countries of the world I have serious doubts. I have to end my calculations, but my feeling is that it was not as big OS as HP1. It was close, but not enough.

DH2 ranks probably #4 in the Potter series WW, behind HP1, HP2 and HP4. TFA will probably finish to 1.15b OS, on par to HP1 and a bit over HP2. But TFA has China and 3D, something that first Potter films did not have.

• Like 1

If 600+ mil in 2001 is 1.2 bil. In 2016, what would anh os gross of around 200mil in late 70s adjust to in 2016.

what is the adjusted os gross of anh since it had lot lower exposure to new expanding markets in 70s and 90s than in 2001 and beyond.

48 minutes ago, peludo said:

Star wars is the biggest franchise domestically BY FAR.

But in terms of OS figures, Harry Potter has always made better figures than Star Wars. Just Episodes I and IV can compete OS with Potter films. The same year that SW3 was making $460m, HP4 did over $600m. A final film could not compete with an intermediate chapter. And the main example: HP1 adjusts to about 1.15-1.2 billion OS. And it did not have expanding markets. It is the biggest overseas modern film excepting Cameron's monsters.

We were talking about the biggest franchise WW. North America is part of the World and SW is far more popular there. As for the rest of the World, I guess you could argue that HP is more popular but even if it is, that wouldn't be enough to make it the biggest franchise WW given the wide disparity in domestic popularity.

DH2 made 960 million OS with extremely favourable exchange rates. TFA is going to make more than that (even excluding China) despite the terrible exchange rates. That means that the final film of HP "cannot compete" with the first installment of this new SW trilogy. HP1 was definitely a monster but the popularity of the franchise greatly decreased in most of its main markets (based on admissions) over time while SW appears to be stronger than ever right now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jb007 said:

If 600+ mil in 2001 is 1.2 bil. In 2016, what would anh os gross of around 200mil in late 70s adjust to in 2016.

what is the adjusted os gross of anh since it had lot lower exposure to new expanding markets in 70s and 90s than in 2001 and beyond.

Well, you are partially right. Star Wars was not as exposed as Harry Potter. It is not the same the advertising in late 70s than in first 00s. And of course just a few markets were big enough to make huge amounts of money. But in the same way, you must consider that in late 70s the only way to watch a film was at cinemas. HP1 was already in the beginning of the digital era. We can have a look at admissions in certain countries to know the adjusted OS figures and have a better sight about this showdown. We will se how SW won in some of them and BP1 won in others. The battle is quite more equaled than you think.

Now I can not access to my data. I will post the showdown tomorrow.

And do not get me wrong. This is not a try to disminish Star Wars gross. It is my second favorite franchise, just behind LOTR. By I think it is fair (and fun) to make this kind of debates or discussions.

Edit: Just realized that we are in Chinese forum. We should debate this in other thread.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Agafin said:

We were talking about the biggest franchise WW. North America is part of the World and SW is far more popular there. As for the rest of the World, I guess you could argue that HP is more popular but even if it is, that wouldn't be enough to make it the biggest franchise WW given the wide disparity in domestic popularity.

DH2 made 960 million OS with extremely favourable exchange rates. TFA is going to make more than that (even excluding China) despite the terrible exchange rates. That means that the final film of HP "cannot compete" with the first installment of this new SW trilogy. HP1 was definitely a monster but the popularity of the franchise greatly decreased in most of its main markets (based on admissions) over time while SW appears to be stronger than ever right now.

The final episodes of each trilogy, both ROTJ and ROTS, were not able to compete with the final chapter of Harry Potter either ;)

Well, it seems that first films of each SW trilogy were the biggest by far WW (ANH was quite bigger than both ESB and ROTJ, and TPM was quite bigger than both AOTC and ROTS). Let's see what happens with episodes 8 and 9, and if they are able to keep the TFA BO level to get definitely the WW throne. I really really wish it can happen since I love Star Wars over nearly any other franchise (LOTR is my franchise).