A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

8 hours ago, movieboner said:

I wonder what aspects of Star Wars: TFA that Chinese audience didn't like besides the remake of A New Hope?

1. ANH ripoff. too many "tributes" to OT that GA simply don't get. If you didnt grow up with it, then you are not emtionally connected with it.

2. old-fashioned VFX design. not futruristic/cool enough.

3. Chinese audience are already kinda tired of sword fights even performed by great martial arts actors like Jet Li and Donnie Yen, yet now Disney is showing them that ugly lightsbar fight ? ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, firedeep said:

Warcraft in China

Pros:

1. 100 million players of WOW/DOTA related games 

2. Five big companies co-marketing: Legendary (A Wanda Group Company), CFGC, Huayi Bros., Tencent, Taihe Media

3. Holiday opening

Cons:

An ugly trailer ... :ph34r:

Yeah. Horrible trailer.. But should still do huge numbers.. When does it open?

12 hours ago, applek said:

From what I saw in forums etc, they didn't like how the main characters (guys) were not very good looking.  Also overall not futuristic looking enough.  And also not enough big explosions etc.  The fight scenes and the concept of the Force also seem like a weakened version of wuxia genre to them and not even done well.

I bet China would have preferred the prequels then to TFA if they were released in recent years and probably would have been more successful than this film. Big, flashy, explosions, "pretty" people, more over the top action sequences. Lots of CGI! Plus it's a beginning. No way would you need to watch other SW film's with the prequels.

Just checked Douban, and all the prequels have quite a significantly higher rating with it's users than TFA.

Douban = TFA 7.3 vs TPM 8.0 - AOTC 7.9 - ROTS -8.1.

Basically the polar opposite to IMDB ratings with those films.

IMDB = TFA 8.5 vs TPM 6.5 - AOTC 6.7 - ROTS 7.6

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

The fact that some people here are using RT as a metric for quality:rofl:

I have consistently found that under 25% is unwatchable for me. 25-50 might be OK to watch on TV but I won't rent. I watched a lot of crap before RT existed because I didn't trust just a couple local critics. It's a great barometer for me.

I keep hearing China didn't like that SW7 was a remake.

I also keep hearing that very few saw ANH. So which is it?

It can't be both.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

Boonie bears going to beat SW7 today by a few million

SW7 has 26% market share, 18% screens

BB 28%/19%

Other openers have negative ratio. That's a good performance against competition. It will have over 20% screens tomorrow or monday

Will probably drop to 10% on Friday though

Edited by No Prisoners

6 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

I have consistently found that under 25% is unwatchable for me. 25-50 might be OK to watch on TV but I won't rent. I watched a lot of crap before RT existed because I didn't trust just a couple local critics. It's a great barometer for me.

I keep hearing China didn't like that SW7 was a remake.

I also keep hearing that very few saw ANH. So which is it?

It can't be both.

Of course it cannot be both. Chinese aren't very familiar with SW saga, so it's definitely the second.

And of course RT isn't the ultimate decider of the movie's quality, but it definitely gives you some general expectations...

8 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Boonie bears going to beat SW7 today by a few million

SW7 has 26% market share, 18% screens

BB 28%/19%

Other openers have negative ratio. That's a good performance against competition. It will have over 20% screens tomorrow or monday

Will probably drop to 10% on Friday though

Imagin if Kung fu Panda was released this weekend instead, sws would be kill.

Whats it looking like hitting today? 50-55?

38 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Is the sales any good? KFP3 has prob the best chance to turn the tide of HLW woes!

It's Alpes suger.

But KFP3 has nothing to do with turning the tide of HLW woes ... because it's a local movie (an official China-US coproduced one to be exact)... box office will be counted as domestic in China.

Edited by firedeep