A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

10 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

He's reaching there with the multiples with competition ahead . Need to see mon-tues numbers to determine wom and potential multis. 

7 hours ago, fastclock said:

Well, TJB is going to be fine, but it will probably be less than Zoot.

Will it reach 1B yuan or more?

This is where we are missing the Firedeep's knowledge on how a movie would behave on its run.

Oh please. He had knowledge on films coming out. He wasn't good at projecting out. I've missed a few but also nailed quite a few. I can admit when I'm wrong. He's infallible on his own mind.

With a -7% hold I would say it could hold  -35-40% this weekend, but it will have screen loss with 3 new releases coning. -50% probable for a 160m~ weekend. 615m total. 

65m next midweek . 680m

The following weekend is may day holiday. Tricky weekend. FD had FF7 dropping 75%, I was calling for a flat weekend and we argued, it was down 27%. Somehow I was wrong and he wasnt. Joke. Anyway, the previous year had 2 HLWD movies bumped 10-20%. So, depending on competition and show count it could hold very well based on this mon-tues hold. I'll go with -30%. 100m. (Could be flat to -50%. ) 780m~total. 

Olive, is Friday or Monday a holiday that weekend?

It should be in the low 800s when CA2 opens. Two movies can coexist. Another tough call.

For now I'd say 850m-900m. Could be 1B+ if it holds -40% this weekend, if the may day bump is big and if it could still do some business against CA3

• Like 1

14 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Oh please. He had knowledge on films coming out. He wasn't good at projecting out. I've missed a few but also nailed quite a few. I can admit when I'm wrong. He's infallible on his own mind.

With a -7% hold I would say it could hold  -35-40% this weekend, but it will have screen loss with 3 new releases coning. -50% probable for a 160m~ weekend. 615m total. 

65m next midweek . 680m

The following weekend is may day holiday. Tricky weekend. FD had FF7 dropping 75%, I was calling for a flat weekend and we argued, it was down 27%. Somehow I was wrong and he wasnt. Joke. Anyway, the previous year had 2 HLWD movies bumped 10-20%. So, depending on competition and show count it could hold very well based on this mon-tues hold. I'll go with -30%. 100m. (Could be flat to -50%. ) 780m~total. 

Olive, is Friday or Monday a holiday that weekend?

It should be in the low 800s when CA2 opens. Two movies can coexist. Another tough call.

For now I'd say 850m-900m. Could be 1B+ if it holds -40% this weekend, if the may day bump is big and if it could still do some business against CA3

In general, the more voices available, the better is the prediction. And any prediction can become wrong, so not going to blame anyone if the prediction is askew. 

TJB will really have a tough time to get to $1B USD, if it can't even get to 1B yuan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fastclock said:

In general, the more voices available, the better is the prediction. And any prediction can become wrong, so not going to blame anyone if the prediction is askew. 

TJB will really have a tough time to get to $1B USD, if it can't even get to 1B yuan.

His choice to leave. More than one POV is fine. He shouldn't comment on other people's post if he can't take the reply. I've seen much worse battles in numerous threads, people get over it or put on ignore.

$1B WW will be tough put possible. Need to see OS holds this weekend. It's looking like high 700s with current markets for now. Japan and Korea are the remaining large markets and could be worth up to $100m if it takes off. It will open in  Japan in August, hopefully just before Obon. 

TJB is going to lose just 1/3 of its shows this weekend and the new releases are looking to do less than 70m combined OD. A -40-45% hold looking good. 

there will be just one large opener next week. ¥1B looking better already

The month is on track to be down close to ¥1B

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

Month-to-date gross has dropped 31%, horrifying drop!

The Revenant closed its run with 377M yuan($58M)

Friday Showtimes:

Yesterday Once More 26%

Huntsman  22.2%

The Jungle Book  20.6%

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Olive said:

Month-to-date gross has dropped 31%, horrifying drop!

If I may ask, how does it compare to April 2014 so far? 2015 had like 2 billion yuan from Furious 7 so I guess that's the main reason for the drop. This makes me think that this year will have a sub 20% bump.