A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, Agafin said:

If I may ask, how does it compare to April 2014 so far? 2015 had like 2 billion yuan from Furious 7 so I guess that's the main reason for the drop. This makes me think that this year will have a sub 20% bump.

April 2014 only made 1.81B yuan

Apr 2015 -4.11B

Apr 2016 - 2.05b to date

• Like 1

Nice article by Variety: http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/china-hollywood-blockbusters-batman-v-superman-1201756790/

The dueling-superheroes movie appeared to have a lot going for it, including a Friday day-and-date release on half the screens in the nation. But after suffering an 85% drop on its second Friday — placing fourth behind a trio of Chinese movies and “Zootopia” — the film was unsentimentally dumped by China’s exhibitors. At $94.9 million after 19 days of release, it is certain to finish below the $100 million mark, cuming less than last year’s clunky “Terminator: Genisys” ($113 million).

Yet the Chinese box office is growing so fast — by 49% last year and by 50% in the first quarter of 2016 — that every major release should be breaking some kind of record. But there’s still debate as to whether “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” at $125 million, was a hit or a miss. And Hollywood-China co-production “Kung Fu Panda” was a clear disappointment in the popular animation category, taking in $147 million. Only Disney Animation’s “Zootopia,” which has minted more than $230 million and established a new Chinese box office record for an animated feature, seems to have fulfilled the market’s growing promise. The title is showing such good legs that regulators have granted it an extra month 2 weeks of release.

“In just a few years, Chinese productions have become qualitatively better in both storytelling and production values,” said Marc Ganis, head of Jiaflix, a successful video-on-demand platform
on the mainland, with ties to both Hollywood and China. “It is going to become more difficult for Hollywood to compete with an indigenous industry that is growing stronger.”

Ganis said Hollywood films would continue to see box office returns in the $75 million-$150 million range in China, but that the territory’s massive annual increases in total B.O. revenue won’t translate to imported movies.

Edited by fastclock
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

@Olive How do you think the new Independence Day will play for Chinese audiences? Looks like the Transformers kind of destruction they would be keen on.

I'm not sure if it can act like TF, but $200M + is very likely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olive said:

I'm not sure if it can act like TF, but $200M + is very likely.

If its good its almost locked to do 200 mill plus

China will eat this shit up

17 hours ago, seduh said:

Great gold by TJB, I hope it can increase a lot on Saturday to reach 190 million Y this weekend

it mite get close. looks like its going to try 80m, 100%+ today down just 40% from last Saturday

the weekends hold is going to be -42/43% 650m~ total

little or no bump for the new releases today

Hunt 22/22/18m   62m/$9.5m weekend

don't forget to enter the contest

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21571-captain-america-cw-contest-gold-and-premium-account-awarded/

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1