A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Jackie Chan is a big bo draw in mainland China. No amount of fudging will increase WOM of his movies. People just want to see it because it is a Jackie Chan movie. If WOM is really good, we can expect double or even triple the bo performance. We just cant discredit the name. Same goes for Stephen Chow, who is even a bigger draw. If he stars in new film, we can easily expect 2B even if the movie suck a$$.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetmasters said:

Jackie Chan is a big bo draw in mainland China. No amount of fudging will increase WOM of his movies. People just want to see it because it is a Jackie Chan movie. If WOM is really good, we can expect double or even triple the bo performance. We just cant discredit the name. Same goes for Stephen Chow, who is even a bigger draw. If he stars in new film, we can easily expect 2B even if the movie suck a$$.

This is true..but not the main point.

The main point is about how people laugh off the fudge saying it is a mere 20-30m amount so it does not matter.

This is about integrity and about the ripple effect of supposed higher per screen average and good BO in first few days of CNY despite the disadvantage of having lower screen counts.

We all know Jackie is a draw, nothing to say here.

But then he should stop or instruct his theater chain to stop this behaviour because he seems to be more insecure about his box office potential than you are.

Edited by TigerPaw

5 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Check out previous post.

The fudge did that. Made ppl think it is winning despite less screen counts and inflated per screen average... making ppl curious and think its good WOM.

It is not the absolute fudge amount that matters but the huge ripple effect.

But unless you can support your claims with actual numbers... like do the math if 20-30 M does not affect box office that much how can it affect per screen average that much either?  And even if some ppl were mistakenly led to the movie theatre if they didn't like the movie itself the wom would've dropped too.  But the reality is that the per screen average continued to be high throughout its run.

also I think you're the one that's not seeing the whole picture... do you live in China?  It's kind of hard to base everything that's going on just based on internet activity.  A lot of older people and stuff don't even check weibo, forums etc... a lot of the wom is through wechat or actually talking with others.  So what you can see on the internet isn't necessarily a good representation of what's going on with all parts of the population.

3 hours ago, applek said:

But unless you can support your claims with actual numbers... like do the math if 20-30 M does not affect box office that much how can it affect per screen average that much either?  And even if some ppl were mistakenly led to the movie theatre if they didn't like the movie itself the wom would've dropped too.  But the reality is that the per screen average continued to be high throughout its run.

also I think you're the one that's not seeing the whole picture... do you live in China?  It's kind of hard to base everything that's going on just based on internet activity.  A lot of older people and stuff don't even check weibo, forums etc... a lot of the wom is through wechat or actually talking with others.  So what you can see on the internet isn't necessarily a good representation of what's going on with all parts of the population.

Lol.

So 20-30m is not fudge?

What are you defending here?

Pat yourself on the back for being righteous. This is exactly what Jackie wants you to think

As long as he gets crown CNY box office champ, no1 cares about the process or a little bit of fudging. 

Like i said, you guys have more confidence in his box office draw than he himself or his theater chain. LOL.

Talks alot about your character to be honest.

9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

You have 0 idea what happens on Chinese forums when a movie has "supposed" high per screen average and closing BO gap with lower screen counts.

Jackie Chan fans have been using social media to push that per screen average (which is fake during start of CNY) to talk about WOM. Do you read chinese? Because the number of posts i read about per screen average/WOM on weibo/tieba/maoyan are just... countless.

Btw i am using my phone at work to reply so I cannot read well with all your spelling errors. And don't reply when you don't have to.

So you are telling me that a 4% increase in theater average would cause massive WoM? Ok fine if you believe that, but that just sounds ridiculous. So you are saying that people in china read theater average before vieuwing a movie? I can believe maybe 5% does that, that would even be a far stretch. And no I do not read Chinese, but unless China's totaly different it woudn't make sense. Btw China has 4 times less pc per capita then the USA so that makes it even harder to believe that everyone who goes to the movies has acces and intrest in that kind of topic. To me, what you are saying just seems rather baised and a far stretch. But like I said, fudging is bad and they should react more sever on it. I just don't believe it had this big of an effect (out side of the 25M fudge itself). 

And yeah, i apoligize for my many spelling mistakes. English isn't my first languegue and i have heavy dyslexia. And I know that doesn't mean i shoudn't do the effort to check my grammar, so  i ll try to work on that.

• Like 3

Friday estimates

before service charges
xXx  -  46.3m / 754.6m
La La Land  -  13.8m / 118.4m

Sing  -  13.6m
Kung Fu Yoga  - 9.2m / 1,572m
Duckweed  -  8.4m / 911m

after service charges

xXx  -  49.8m / 788m
La La Land  -  14.8m / 124.5m

Sing  -  14.5m
Kung Fu Yoga  - 9.9m / 1,650m
Duckweed  -  8.9m / 957m

JTTW2 makes 2.3m today after service charges, 1,622m totally.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Are we back to healthy 80-100% Saturday increases?

Presales are not thru the roof for XXX saturday. Only 8,5 mill

so i really doubt that it can increase 100% but i'm not an expert in this

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

So I have a question for all the Chinese BO experts here : How was January 2017 vs January 2016? A healthy growth?

No. The reason why January increase is the Chinese New Year started from Jan.28 this year. 57% of January’s ¥4.23B(which is ¥2.4B) was due to Jan.28-31. In 2016, the CNY started from Feb.8.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm glad for La La Land, its numbers in China are unexpectedly high :)

I hope Beauty and the Beast, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will do well as well, at least $150m :P

It is because it had a good release date at Valentine's day.

I think it will gross less than half of what it is grossing without Vday or sneak previews.

So the distributor is smart!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

No. The reason why January increase is the Chinese New Year started from Jan.28 this year. 57% of January’s ¥4.23B(which is ¥2.4B) was due to Jan.28-31. In 2016, the CNY started from Feb.8.

10 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

It is because it had a good release date at Valentine's day.

I think it will gross less than half of what it is grossing without Vday or sneak previews.

So the distributor is smart!

Oh I see thanks for the explanations :)