A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

16 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

But Resident Evil for example went from $17 million to $162 million! That's why I thought it would do a lot better. 

But the last Resident Evil before the current one came out in 2012, before China's box office truly exploded. There was a bunch of big movies then, but even The Avengers only made something like 85m or so that year, while its sequel made 240m. The difference being that the latter came out after the big jump. The new Star Wars movies, however, all came out when the box office had already reached roughly its current size.

Resident Evil was certainly a surprise, but it didn't have the baggage of the last one being disliked, nor was there as much of an necessity to have seen the earlier movies of the franchise to understand everything.

Someone who is more knowledgeable of the Chinese box office correct me if this is wrong...

Edited by George Parr

19 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

Someone's rude aren't they? Not necessary to say that

Huh?

What exactly is rude about me asking those who are more knowledgeable about the chinese box office to correct me if something I posted should be wrong?

It's the very opposite of being rude.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Huh?

What exactly is rude about me asking those who are more knowledgeable about the chinese box office to correct me if something I posted should be wrong?

It's the very opposite of being rude.

So sorry, just understood what you meant. I thought you were saying you were more knowledgeable of the Chinese box office and to correct you if you were wrong. Sorry again! 

1 minute ago, StephenN18 said:

So sorry, just understood what you meant. I thought you were saying you were more knowledgeable of the Chinese box office and to correct you if you were wrong. Sorry again! 

No problem ;)

There may be things where I might think of myself as being knowledgeable, the chinese box office isn't one of those :D

1 hour ago, peludo said:

The Ex-File 3 is at 93m and there are still 4 hours to end the day. Can it increase again today (109m yesterday)? where it can land? it seems a really impressive run.

At this rate, it's heading to 3B+, biggest 2D release, possibly the first 100m+ admission 2D film of China.

Coming

Friday: EX3 = 2x SW8

Saturday: EX3 = 3x SW8

Sunday: EX3 = 4x SW8

Monday: EX3 = 5x SW8

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, firedeep said:

At this rate, it's heading to 3B+, biggest 2D release, possibly the first 100m+ admission 2D film of China.

Coming

Friday: EX3 = 2x SW8

Saturday: EX3 = 3x SW8

Sunday: EX3 = 4x SW8

Monday: EX3 = 5x SW8

:ph34r:

What the hell...China is truly totally unpredictable.

2 hours ago, StephenN18 said:

Why is Star Wars not big in China? What is the expected opening weekend, about $50 million? I thought this film could do $200 million so it's disappointing that they're so far behind everyone else.

More like 30-35 mill

Since the Skywalker + connected spinoffs saga seems dead for Chinese audience ... i wonder if the new Episodes by Rian Johnson could mean  "a new hope" for Disney/Lucasfilm to connect with Asian markets with a new fresh story non connected with the Skywalker universe. 

Could be interesting to analyze whether chinese audiences don't connect with SW brand/universe itself, or just with this Skywalker saga (since they were somehow caught in the middle of the story). 

Edited by meriodejaneiro

9 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Since the Skywalker + connected spinoffs saga seems dead for Chinese audience ... i wonder if the new Episodes by Rian Johnson could mean  "a new hope" for Disney/Lucasfilm to connect with Asian markets with a new fresh story non connected with the Skywalker universe. 

Could be interesting to analyze whether chinese audiences don't connect with SW brand/universe itself, or just with this Skywalker saga (since they were somehow caught in the middle of the story). 

That is possible. But the visual style of the films has to be changed.

• Like 1

Just now, firedeep said:

That is possible. But the visual style of the films has to be changed.

Why? what's wrong about the SW visual style to not hook with chinese audience?

I thought the problem would be more in the storyline, that chinese didn't grow up with the Luke story and they just didn't connect with it. 

Thursday numbers  est
The Ex-File 3 - 115.4M/736.6M  +6%( OMG!)
Youth - 14.3M/1302M  -12%
Hanson and the Beast  - 9.9M/241M  -8.5%
Goldbuster - 8.45M/335.5M  -19%
Namiya General Store - 4.6M/204M -28%
Demon Cat - 4.5m/506m  -12%  

The Last Jedi - 3.6M midnights ( without fees, 8% lower than RO)
Coco - 1.45m/1179m  -6%

Ex3 presales up more than 50% on Friday!!!!

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Why? what's wrong about the SW visual style to not hook with chinese audience?

I thought the problem would be more in the storyline, that chinese didn't grow up with the Luke story and they just didn't connect with it. 

The storyline is a problem but VFX design is also very important.

To Chinese audiences:

111114_TimeCircle_Wormhole.jpg

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Chinese-poster-e

This is sci-fi blockbuster

But

The-Force-Awakens-Frame.jpg

th?id=OIP.E34p5Y0QQQmZdM6bY2OTTwHaDF&pid

this just doesn't have the sci-fi vibe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firedeep said:

The storyline is a problem but VFX design is also very important.

To Chinese audiences:

111114_TimeCircle_Wormhole.jpg

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Chinese-poster-e

This is sci-fi blockbuster

But

The-Force-Awakens-Frame.jpg

th?id=OIP.E34p5Y0QQQmZdM6bY2OTTwHaDF&pid

this just doesn't have the sci-fi vibe.

Thats very interesting. In that case the look of the SW prequels could be more "sci-fi" for them? The SW OT and the new films get praise for presenting a "used" future, where the technology seems dirty more often then not. However, while this is seen as a positive in the Western World, the Chinese see that as a negative according to you?

For refernce, looks of the prequels:

some-things-can-t-be-ignored-will-we-see

battleofcoruscat.jpg?itok=p6YIntCL