A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Wednesday numbers  est
The Ex-File 3 - 109M/621M  +17%( crazy!)
Youth - 16.5M/1288M  -20%

Hanson and the Beast  - 10.9M/231M  -19%
Goldbuster - 10.5M/327M  -30%
Namiya General Store - 6.6M/199.5M -21%
Demon Cat - 5.2m/501m  -17%  
Coco - 1.55m/1177.5m  -19%

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

hahahahaha....Star wars is treated like utter crap in India and China. This should be enough to forge stronger ties between two nations.

How is that supposed to make any sense?

Why would the lack of interest in something be something that brings people together?

A random american and I aren't going to have a great relationship with each other just because neither of us is interested in cricket.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Wednesday numbers  est
The Ex-File 3 - 109M/621M  +17%( crazy!)
Youth - 16.5M/1288M  -20%

Hanson and the Beast  - 10.9M/231M  -19%
Goldbuster - 10.5M/327M  -30%
Namiya General Store - 6.6M/199.5M -21%
Demon Cat - 5.2m/501m  -17%  
Coco - 1.55m/1177.5m  -19%

Olive, how are the presales for TLJ looking compared to Rogue One? Also, would you be kind enough to provide me with a link with for site where you take the numbers from? Thank you!

1 hour ago, James said:

Olive, how are the presales for TLJ looking compared to Rogue One? Also, would you be kind enough to provide me with a link with for site where you take the numbers from? Thank you!

PS:http://piaofang.maoyan.com/ 

TLJ PS is close to Rouge one.TLJ will face more competition this weekend from The Ex-File 3.There are 5 new wide releases next week,including Jumanji.Looks like The Ex3 is heading to $300M-$350M.TLJ may overshadow by Ex3.Mid $50M total for TLJ 

Edited by bangbingchan

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

How is that supposed to make any sense?

Why would the lack of interest in something be something that brings people together?

A random american and I aren't going to have a great relationship with each other just because neither of us is interested in cricket.

Zero sense of humor. 

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Well that never made any sense though so it's like me saying that I expect the next Fantastic Beasts to make $100m DOM so there is no way I will be disapointed.

TFA was disliked by the chinese. RO even more. So i figured they are just not interested in another SW Film.

Spoiler

And yes, that way, you really cant be disappointed :hahaha:

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

TFA was disliked by the chinese. RO even more. So i figured they are just not interested in another SW Film.

Reveal hidden contents

Still TFA made $124m and RO did $70m. 

This one being an episode, the realistic range a month ago was at the 70s range. It was only later that 50s came on the table and that has been since now the most pessimistic prediction.

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Still TFA made $124m and RO did $70m. 

This one being an episode, the realistic range a month ago was at the 70s range. It was only later that 50s came on the table and that has been since now the most pessimistic prediction.

Looking like 60s now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POTUS said:

Looking like 60s now

Not as big as could be expected, but could help to unbalance the share split in favor of international boxoffice and also to climb in the ww top 10 (i hoped it could make the 100M milestone at least). 

A good China run could help reach the #7 ww $1.4B (Age of Ultron).

#5 F7 $1,51B seems unreachable imo even matching TFA numbers.

A bad run in China would put TLJ in fight for #8 HP:DH2 $1,34B.

#9 Frozen $1,27B seems locked at this point (just 200M away).

10 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Not as big as could be expected, but could help to unbalance the share split in favor of international boxoffice and also to climb in the ww top 10 (i hoped it could make the 100M milestone at least). 

A good China run could help reach the #7 ww $1.4B (Age of Ultron).

#5 F7 $1,51B seems unreachable imo even matching TFA numbers.

A bad run in China would put TLJ in fight for #8 HP:DH2 $1,34B.

#9 Frozen $1,27B seems locked at this point (just 200M away).

$1.4b is dead as shit.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, peludo said:

The Ex-File 3 is at 93m and there are still 4 hours to end the day. Can it increase again today (109m yesterday)? where it can land? it seems a really impressive run.

Almost 1m up in last 5 min (from 20:07-20:13)

14 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

Why is Star Wars not big in China? What is the expected opening weekend, about $50 million? I thought this film could do $200 million so it's disappointing that they're so far behind everyone else.

Not everything can be big everywhere.

16 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

Why is Star Wars not big in China? What is the expected opening weekend, about $50 million? I thought this film could do $200 million so it's disappointing that they're so far behind everyone else.

I'd say you had rather unrealistic expectations then ;)

TFA and Rogue One combined for a total of 200m, and neither was exactly popular in China. This movie was bound to drop from TFA, and with Rogue One having two famous chinese actors on board, it wasn't too unlikely that it would finish behind that one as well.

Being dropped into the 7th installment of a deeply interconnected franchise (unlike Fast & Furious), and then starting with a movie that ends up being very unpopular, is not exactly the best environment for future growth. I guess if TFA had been what Chinese audiences were into, growing to 200m with the next one wouldn't have been impossible. But from the sound of it, the very opposite happened.

Edited by George Parr