A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

SW is a fantasy set in space, not really sci fi. maybe they pick up the vibe and don't like it. Also, considering that the big pull of SW to US and European audiences are saber fights, they are poorly choreographed by Chinese standards while they look like second coming to untrained US/Euro eyes.

I bet that certain fight won't excite the Chinese unlike domestic crowds but pushing really lame Finn/Phasma duel in marketing can only alienate them. Any kid and senior citizen can stage a better fight than that. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Thursday numbers  est
The Ex-File 3 - 115.4M/736.6M  +6%( OMG!)
Youth - 14.3M/1302M  -12%
Hanson and the Beast  - 9.9M/241M  -8.5%
Goldbuster - 8.45M/335.5M  -19%
Namiya General Store - 4.6M/204M -28%
Demon Cat - 4.5m/506m  -12%  

The Last Jedi - 3.6M midnights ( without fees, 8% lower than RO)
Coco - 1.45m/1179m  -6%

Ex3 presales up more than 50% on Friday!!!!

That is just absolutely crazy for Ex-File 3. It keeps increasing on weekdays. Must be something from the movie that connect big time with audience. Holds like this gotta be pure WOM.

The Chinese BO has been really interesting for 2017 releases, both local and foreign ones. 

2 hours ago, weresweresweres said:

What about Jumanji? how EX3 will efect Jumanji?

EX3 effects everthing right now and will also do it to Jumanji..

Presale for Jumanji is low at this point so nothing indicates big numbers.

But its China and a lot can happen in 7 days

https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/948946717763915777

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI earned a disappointing ¥3.4M ($0.52M) from Thurs midnights with an avg attendance of just 22 ppl/screening. Comps: TFA(¥15.9M/77 ppl); R1 (¥3.7M/31 ppl). Likely to lose its opening weekend to local rom-com holdover Ex-File 3: Return of the Exes.

• Haha 6

Think this movie will have even worse WOM than Rogue One because of length, pacing and lack of action / not very exciting CGI heavy  action but also many  other things that  will make almost no sense to audiences that haven't seen the OT.

Don't know much about China box office , but Blade Runners opening weekend was 65% of it's total gross, wonder if TLJ will have similar percentage because of bad WOM

• Like 4

lol what a disaster

I find this morbidly funny

Disney must be shaking their heads right now pretty hard

Also @Valonqar is 100% right on the fight choreography. Watch a lot of Honk Kong movies and you'll see -- if you think John Wick has good fight choreography, which I admit is still better than like 99% of American movies, it's not even close to the best Hong Kong movies. They've been at it since the 60's

To them, lightsaber fights are terribly boring, uninspired and unimpressive choreography. Donnie Yen beating the crap out of Jing Wu though...? That's a lot more interesting!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

lol what a disaster

Also @Valonqar is 100% right on the fight choreography. Watch a lot of Honk Kong movies and you'll see -- if you think John Wick has good fight choreography, which I admit is still better than like 99% of American movies, it's not even close to the best Hong Kong movies. They've been at it since the 60's

To them, lightsaber fights are terribly boring, uninspired and unimpressive choreography. Donnie Yen beating the crap out of Jing Wu though...? That's a lot more interesting!

So true! It's like when Matrix lifted wire-fu from HK actioneers and everyone outside of Asia was, like, Wow, that's the coolest thing I've ever seen, and Asia was, LOL, that's business as usual here for decades. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

lol what a disaster

Donnie Yen’s fight scenes with his staff in Rogue One is one of the best (IMO, the best) Star Wars universe has to offer in term of combat sequences. And the funny thing is, Donnie Yen probably really could have did those blind cause compare to other stuff he had done in Hong Kong movies, they’re too easy lol. 

I grew up a wuxia/Kungfu movies fanatic, and because of that, even though I loved Star Wars, my attachment is more on the story and characters. I always chuckled when people praised and gushed about any of its lightsaber fights. To me, they’re just so pedestrian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's nothing particularly impressive about the choreography but, since it's a lightsaber instead of a sword, you can get away with some additional brutality that might not be allowed  with a regular sword fight (basically, immediate cauterizing). TLJ uses that benefit to its advantage pretty well, even if the choreography is ho-hum.

But clearly, they're trying to get away from being flashy/showy like the prequels at this point. That's not what Chinese audiences want considering the choreography that their films are capable of, but I don't think it's inherently bad. I would imagine most sword duels end up being...pedestrian.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Anyways, I had the misfortune of showing some cousins the latest Star Wars films while not having seen the original trilogy or prequels. They're from Vietnam so they've only been in the US for a few years.

It turns out, it's makes little to no god damn sense without having seen the others. I think that's the same problem China runs into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam said:

Donnie Yen’s fight scenes with his staff in Rogue One is one of the best (IMO, the best) Star Wars universe has to offer in term of combat sequences. And the funny thing is, Donnie Yen probably really could have did those blind cause compare to other stuff he had done in Hong Kong movies, they’re too easy lol. 

I grew up a wuxia/Kungfu movies fanatic, and because of that, even though I loved Star Wars, my attachment is more on the story and characters. I always chuckled when people praised and gushed about any of its lightsaber fights. To me, they’re just so pedestrian.

This.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam said:

I'm working on making a top 50 or so best fight choreography I could post on this website, with detailed reviews, if people are interested. It would be certainly different from typical tops. A movie could even score more than once if 2 epic fights are in it!

I've watched about 150 hong kong/martial arts movies (plan on watching more this year), and yes, the amount of American movies in this top would be pretty much... 0

Maybe 1 or 2 honorable mentions :sparta:

• Like 1