A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Had there been one more week at disposable it would have done $170mn, given it will be doing $13mn this week itself and $161mn at end of it, but new year release will cut it short 

Wait this is 4th week, and no extension news either so naah. $161-163mn tops unless a miracle 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not sure a weird family-friendly edit of Deadpool 2, built around an American cult classic movie, was the best way to introduce the character to the GA in China. I wonder what it means for X-Force or the next Deadpool (if they ever happen).

I mean technically the movie has been online over there for sometime (the first and the second) so most folks who would have been interested in the character would have already been introduced to him. Variety spoke with some people and most of them are aware that the version getting released over there is just a cut down version of Deadpool 2 which is already available online. So I think moving forward, if by chance Disney can get a Deadpool film to pass censors, it'll be fine. 

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

Maybe the violence/gore in the film? Then again Logan got a release there and I felt like that was more violent than Deadpool 2 (and even Deadpool) Im not really sure exactly why it hasnt passed censorship tbh but maybe someone like @Gavin Feng can give more insight as to why specifically the Deadpool films have had trouble passing the censor. 

Chinese version of Logan is shorter than the original version by 6 mins. And many violent shoots in that film were instead by more gentle stuffs. More close to a PG-13 version. 

The reason that the Once Upon A Deadpool can get a date here is that January box office in 2019 is becoming worse compared to 2018, and Film Bureau allowed DP to come to China. Actually Fox made PG-13 versions of both DP1 & DP2 for China & Hong Kong markets when the R versions were releasing. But those were still killed off by Chinese Film Bureau(can be seen in HK). Then Fox made a new PG-13 version for unknown reason last December, which is Once Upon a Deadpool. If January box office is good, DP may still be out of here.

• Thanks 1

SAT<FRI may happen.

Actually I don’t think it’s surprised. Many jokes in this movies are not friendly to general audience. They don’t know much about superheroes cultures and those R-rated box office about DP1 & Passion of the Christ & Disney-Fox deal. 

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

SAT<FRI may happen.

Actually I don’t think it’s surprised. Many jokes in this movies are not friendly to general audience. They don’t know much about superheroes cultures and those R-rated box office about DP1 & Passion of the Christ & Disney-Fox deal. 

A very good chance for that. Its running really slow

On 1/25/2019 at 3:56 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

Deadpool 2 crossed ¥40mn at around 18:30 CST, should go for ¥60mn ($8.8mn) plus opening day. Since WOM is poor, going by 7.9 Maoyan score, shall mostly do 2.8-2.9x opening day during weekend, unless it surprises. $25mn weekend.

If WOM was okay, would have hit $30mn plus most likely.

Edit: At 20:00 CST, its ¥46mn. ¥52-54mn at best. WOM affect 🤔.

At 18:30 CST, DP 2 at ¥36mn. Shall do ¥50mn full day.

1 minute ago, boyamama said:

maybe because the best resolution already out online ....

Nahh. A saturday drop is always horrible WOM.

Online prevented it from opening in the 35-50 mill range