CloneWars

Disney's Next Step--Buy Hasbro

According to MTV, talks are going on right now http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/11/05/disney-buying-hasbro/This would mean that Disney would own the company that makes their Marvel and Star Wars toys. They would also get Transformers, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons among many other licenses.This seems like the most logical next step for Disney. What are your thoughts?

According to MTV, talks are going on right now http://geek-news.mtv...-buying-hasbro/This would mean that Disney would own the company that makes their Marvel and Star Wars toys. They would also get Transformers, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons among many other licenses.This seems like the most logical next step for Disney. What are your thoughts?

When do anti-monopoly laws kick in? this is getting ridiculous.
  • Like 1

would they get movie rights to Hasbro properties too? Then Paramount would probably beg Hasbro to not let themselves be bought by Disney

I think the deal for Transformers was six movies, but I might be wrong. They might have struck a deal like Fox did with the X-Men films where they can keep the rights as long as they make a film every 5 years.

When do anti-monopoly laws kick in? this is getting ridiculous.

There is no monopoly if this deal goes through. Hasbro is not a movie studio, theme park company, or television station. They're a toy manufacturer. They make toys. There are other companies that make toys. This deal doesn't come close to making Disney a monopoly.

Am I the only one who things this is a bad idea??

I thinks it's a horrible idea also. I actually don't think this rumor is true, but it's terrible if it is. The movie rights to Transformers and GI Joe are tied up with other studios. Board games are not that popular anymore, so owning Monopoly and The Game of Life doesn't really help Disney.Hasbro doesn't have any other famous characters to turn into movies, except My Little Pony. So if Disney thinks a My Little Pony franchise is going to set the box office on fire, then so be it. But I think buying Hasbro is a horrible idea.

There is no monopoly if this deal goes through. Hasbro is not a movie studio, theme park company, or television station. They're a toy manufacturer. They make toys. There are other companies that make toys. This deal doesn't come close to making Disney a monopoly.

Hasbro does own a production studio and partial stake in a TV station, but yeah, it still wouldn't make Disney anything close to a monopoly. They still have plenty of competition on all fronts. Edited by tribefan695

I thinks it's a horrible idea also. I actually don't think this rumor is true, but it's terrible if it is. The movie rights to Transformers and GI Joe are tied up with other studios. Board games are not that popular anymore, so owning Monopoly and The Game of Life doesn't really help Disney.Hasbro doesn't have any other famous characters to turn into movies, except My Little Pony. So if Disney thinks a My Little Pony franchise is going to set the box office on fire, then so be it. But I think buying Hasbro is a horrible idea.

Hasbro also has Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons. Both of those have strong BO potential. But, the biggest reason of all for Disney to buy Hasbro is so that they don't have to license their properties to other toy manufacturers. Cars merchandising has totaled well over $10B over the years but Disney only gets a percentage of that. Owning a toy company guarantees they will see a larger percentage of profits.

Buying companies from different fields is called vertical integration. Obviously makes a lot of sense to have everything under one roof. There are laws against that as well. For instance they can't buy cinema chains to show their own movies. Probably IMAX would also not be allowed for them. It has happedned often in history that successful companies buy into other busineses and changed their center of interest (Seagram from alcohol to media). Sometimes when they get into financial trouble they also start to sell their least successful branches again.