#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

The 10 p.m. Thursday thing is ridiculous.First of all, a 24-hr day is from 12 a.m. to the following 12 a.m. Therefore, counting 10 p.m. Thursday shows isn't just fudging, it's downright lying. I also don't buy the whole "the same people would have seen it at midnight" argument. In reality, its audience is generally 12-18 and have school........so I have no doubt more people are able to go at 10 p.m. as opposed to if they only had midnight showings.It just seems like Summit is trying to make the number appear better than it actually is to me. What a bunch of hack-jobs, IMO. B)

I get the point to a degree, but I also want to say ... wake up to the new (future) normal.When theaters first started adding midnight screenings there was the same outcry. It's "not fair" to the previous record holders, a midnight screening isn't *really* a Friday, etc. blah, blah, blah. But then everyone started doing it, it increased the hype for big movies and now it's normal. This will be the same thing. In the end, 10pm screenings are better for the theater owners (they are ALL for it), better for audiences, and the studio doesn't give a crap when their money starts rolling in.
  • Like 3

I disagree...BO is great, I am here posting on the forums after all. But when people want to check box office records, everyone checks BOM. BOM has an Alexa ranking of 2900. BO is like 50,000.They're the record keeper/almanac of this industry.

BO.com is Box Office Magazine which has been around for nearly a century. BOM has been around for about 10 years and, while a great resource for fans like us, is not the go to place for Studios. Studios have their own records.

thursday gross was a thursday gross back in 2003 and a thursday gross remains a thursday gross in 2012, simple as that

Here, here.Thursday is Thursday. Until all studios change and consider Thu-Sun to be the "weekend", then it's not a part of the weekend.
  • Like 2

Guys, it's a rigged game we're all invested in. The studios get to make up the rules -- or change them -- and the only people able to call them on it are the other studios. So if one studio fudges their numbers too much, the others will call 'em out, but collectively they're one big entity and if they think it's better for the industry ("better" in terms of making more money faster) to have Thursday evening previews instead or to supplement midnights -- and if they want to pool all these grosses into the opening weekend tally -- then they'll do it.Adjust your predictions accordingly, cuz they play Calvinball.

• Like 4

So if it's that easy, you have to admit this does not bode well for it matching BD1's performance over the weekend. WOM may help, but just looking at the numbers and considering that 10pm is more accessible than 12am, BD2 should have made substantially more than BD1's strictly midnight shows rather than essentially matching it.

I think we are kind of on the same page, and to be honest, I don't feel like arguing with anyone anymore today. I think the number is fine because I was expecting it to be somewhere in this vicinity. You and some others think the number is fine but it could have and should have done a bit more because of the finale factor. Ok fine. I think what it comes down is you think it should have a bit of a bump, and I don't because it has already established what its upper and lower amounts are. So if this makes less than BD1 then yes, it has lost some of it's fans and foothold in the market. If it makes between 281 and 300+, then it has done exactly what the previous numbers have said it should.Can we agree on that?

People need to get used to it. Hollywood release pattern is changing. I expect every tentpole to have 10 pm shows and it actually makes sense for the audience as well as the theater and the employees. You actually can get home at decent time compared to midnight release.

• Like 3

I think we are kind of on the same page, and to be honest, I don't feel like arguing with anyone anymore today.

I think the number is fine because I was expecting it to be somewhere in this vicinity. You and some others think the number is fine but it could have and should have done a bit more because of the finale factor. Ok fine. I think what it comes down is you think it should have a bit of a bump, and I don't because it has already established what its upper and lower amounts are. So if this makes less than BD1 then yes, it has lost some of it's fans and foothold in the market. If it makes between 281 and 300+, then it has done exactly what the previous numbers have said it should.

Can we agree on that?

Considering its advantages, I think that's a big "if". But, yes, if BD2 ends up with a similar total as the past Twilight films then it merely met expectations.

Yawn. :P

• Like 1

I'm glad some of you have seen my point about "Reloaded". Obviously summit knows they made most of their money in Previews so the Midnight number will be disappointing if they separate it. It's going to be interesting to see how this is reported. The Legacy of "Reloaded" will never be forgotten.

BO.com is Box Office Magazine which has been around for nearly a century. BOM has been around for about 10 years and, while a great resource for fans like us, is not the go to place for Studios. Studios have their own records.

yeah but the website most people check for Box office grosses is probably BOM

And if Sony had pulled this with TASM you'd be saying the same thing?

TASM came out before TDKR. There is a new era for film....BTDKR and ATDKR. :)
  • Like 2

Considering its advantages, I think that's a big "if". But, yes, if BD2 ends up with a similar total as the past Twilight films then it merely met expectations.

Yawn. :P

Posted Image
  • Like 1

TASM came out before TDKR. There is a new era for film....BTDKR and ATDKR. :)

Ah. OK, so if Sony had pulled this with Skyfall you'd think it should be counted toward the weekend? I just want to clarify that this is your position for all movies going forward, not just Twilight.