#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

You're missing a big part of the equation. You're arguing that the only reason they give such favorable percentages is because of the legs the film will have. This though, is not the primary factor why they'll capitulate high rates to movies like Star Wars or Toy Story.They give 90% because the movie will drive tons of people into their theater. And lots of people means more sales of where they make most of their profit...concessions. That is why a movie like Twilight has a ton of leverage, and definitely could get 90%. The long term revenue isn't anywhere near as relevant as the reams of people that will come in and buy expensive candy and soda.

I checked Regal's financials during this convo to see if there were any answers, and concessions are about 26% of their revenue, so no...most of the profits is tickets. Even with the criminally high profit margin on the concessions (600m net profit concessions, a little less than a billion on tickets).I also noticed they singled out a bunch of releases that contributed to their profits in 2010 -- including Inception. But didn't mention Eclipse which earned slightly more than Inception.I just think you are underestimating the leverage that the exhibitors have, especially the big ones. And I bet they exerted that leverage when negotiating for BD1 and BD2, or at least tried to do it.

Why cant I remember any Coming to America quotes outside "The royal penis is clean, your highness"?

Not sure, but it is one of the funniest films ever...imo."We seek meager accommodations""Here you can take mine""Is it poor looking?""Yea, it's a real shit-hole"
  • Like 3

I do sometimes. And there's nothing childish about that. Calling it childish is childish.

How is there nothing childish about labeling someone or something gay in a derogatory fashion? Grow the fuck up. There's nothing negative about being gay, yet you make it sound like there is. I dare you to go to a group of gay men and say that. Yeah, I don't think you will. Unless you want your face punched repeatedly. And to be honest, you might actually need it.

Do I go around saying, "Ugh, The Phantom Menace is such a ni**er!"? It's disgusting. And absurd.

But, like I said, I can't control you. You're probably going to keep calling things you don't like as gay, and soon enough, it's going to bite you so hard in the ass. And I can't wait until it does.

Edited by Noctis

Oh sir, the Giants of New York took on the Packers of Green Bay. And in the end, the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big "H". It was a most ripping victory. ;)

• Like 5

I checked Regal's financials during this convo to see if there were any answers, and concessions are about 26% of their revenue, so no...most of the profits is tickets. Even with the criminally high profit margin on the concessions (600m net profit concessions, a little less than a billion on tickets).I also noticed they singled out a bunch of releases that contributed to their profits in 2010 -- including Inception. But didn't mention Eclipse which earned slightly more than Inception.I just think you are underestimating the leverage that the exhibitors have, especially the big ones. And I bet they exerted that leverage when negotiating for BD1 and BD2, or at least tried to do it.

I mean, I understand the logic you're trying to work here. I get it. But, we have a person...who has first hand information...about what the actual rate for Twilight was...and it was 90%. Unless you're suggesting he's lying, I'm not really sure what we're even debating.Not to mention...they didn't make a billion in profit from admissions. You deduct expenses on concessions, yet don't on admissions? There's over a billion in costs to run that company between rent expense and general expenses. Yeah, some of that will include labor for selling those concessions, but I think it's safe to say most of that is associated with running the theater and the company behind it. Given that, admissions isn't profitable in of itself...only when concessions come into the picture does the theater finanally have some operating income. Which...well, fits with the overall story of what I know about theaters and what's important to them. I think you underrate how important concessions are, foot traffic is, and as such why Twilight getting 90% makes a lot of sense.
  • Like 1