73 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Really good stuff.Obviously the film is a visual delight, but the emotional aspect is really being underplayed, IMO. And I'm usually not one to do this but.....those who have a problem with the ending simply missed the whole point of the film. The whole story comes together with the ending, as do the themes of faith and religion. Kudos also to the score, one of the better ones I've heard this year.........and one of the best films of the year.B+

• Like 1

Life of Pi

Fantastic film. This is the type of film my gran would adore, and I hope she's going to see it - she may already have! The scenes with the tiger are great, and the scenes with the monkey are funny, all the animal scenes are just really intriguing. But it's the sentimental scenes that gripped me. If I took down my defences a little bit more I would have cried just as older Pi cried when he was telling the 2nd story at the end. I didn't think there was any need to say "so the zebra was the sailer ... and you were the tiger" because I already made that connection without having the white guy say it - but I suppose that was for less knowledgeable people in the audience.

Beautiful movie. Deserves Best Picture, Best Cinematography, and Best Actor for younger Pi, he was sensational. Ang Lee deserves Best Director too. The 3D wasn't needed apart from a few scenes, which it was amazing. Possibly my best film of the year. It's such a pure magical adventure, and I've been dying to see a film like this in years. It just took me out of my situation and life circumstances and transported me into Pi's world - I needed that.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed more than The Expendables 2 as such, but now I totally understand what people mean when they object to comparing films of different styles and genre. It's just too hard to do. I expected more from TE2, but it still gave me an incredibly fun ride, whereas with Life of Pi, I expected a great movie but it totally blew me away, and it came along at the right time as recently I have been down.

A - It's the best film of 2012.

Perfectly put. I couldn't have said it better myself. Ang lee deserves the Oscar.

So beautiful. For the first time I actually appreciated 3D and felt like I got my money's worth.The ship going down!The glowing jellyfish!The whale!So many breathtaking scenes I could go on and on.Although right at the end the movie nearly lost me (and I still feel iffy about it if i'm honest). It's like they almost ended up doing/saying too much. But still it gets an A+ from me. If I never see a more beautiful movie as long as I live i'll be satisfied.

This is a great film.

It may not be perfect, but there are very few films that can give you the unique experience that this film does. The ocean is absolutely fascinating to me. There are very few things more scary to me being alone on the ocean. Throw a tiger in the mix and you have quite a situation. But Ang Lee's creativity and flair come through here big time. The ending is very fitting and the 3D is awesome. It deserves all the accolades it's getting.

A-

After a kind of a weak beginning (though the bit where the guy jumps into the pool was amazing) this turns into an amazing experience.

The good stuff starts with an amazing scene of a shipwreck, that includes a haunting image of Pi looking at the massive, sinking ship underwater.

From there on the movie holds your interest, though it appears it did not for some asshole in my theater since he checked his iPhone every five minutes. There was also a lady who burst out laughing when Pi and R. Parker were dying. Everyone else was crying, including me, and this broad busts out a belly laugh. Fuck her.

The visuals are overwhelmingly beautiful and there are gut-punching emotions, not the least the already divisive ending that was pretty harrowing.

The CG on the animals worked pitch perfect. The tiger especially was done amazingly. Man, that tiger scared the living shit out of me in almost every scene he was in. There's a joyous jump scare, where the tiger jumps right to your lap in 3D, and I shouted "OH FUCK" and threw off my 3D glasses.

Life of Pi also has the best pissing joke of the year

Good stuff, best film of the year, five stars

5/5

Cannot believe how much I liked this movie. It may not be my favorite of the year, but it's definitely the most substantial movie I've seen this year. A very unique experience as well. Loved it. Only flaw I can think of is the scene with the flying fish was incredibly distracting in 2-D with the aspect ratio change. Great movie though.A+

I hate 3D, I consider it a headache and giant waste of time, but for this film I was actually blown away. For the opening credits alone I almost feel like the OScars need a new category for best use of 3D so that the highest stage can acknowledge how stunning this is.The film is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on screen and I can't believe just how well everything was handled. It's perfect filmmaking in my eyes.I haven't seen Lincoln or Les Mis, but if this doesn't win the Best Picture and Director and Actor Oscars they better be goddamn awesome films.Really happy I got to see this finally.

Absolutely fantastic!!

The visuals in this film are superb - and 3D brings it to life. Pi's story is amazing and the actor who plays him does an amazing job at showing the true emotion that it deserves.

I was not once bored and always left wondering what was to come!

Some utterly breathtaking scenes:

-when the tiger jumps out at the camera - one of the best 3D scenes I've watched

-the sinking of the ship

-the glowing fish and whale.

Excellent excellent excellent!!

9.5/10

• Like 1

The only scene where I really liked the 3D was the bit with the flying fish. But the fact they had to change the aspect ratio for that bothered me. So eh.

Changing the aspect ratio HELPED the use of 3D.It allowed fish and other sea creatures to literally go beyond the borders of the scene - it enhanced and gave true meaning to what 3D is all about!!